Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Youngest you would leave a baby?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 9:46 am
amother [ Zinnia ] wrote:
I left my baby in NICU for 2 months as he was a preemie.

Apart from that, the youngest I ever left a child was at age 1, with DH and other siblings. I had to go abroad for an emergency.

I have left my kids with other relatives (grandparents) twice in 25 years of marriage, where youngest was ~3.

I have left my kids alone once for one night for a getaway, kids aged 11 - 20.

But if you ask me, I would imagine a young baby would 'care' less than an older baby or toddler.
They just sleep / eat, and it bothers them less who is caring for them.

A 2 year old would find it difficult, whereas a 2 month old will not notice.

Just because little babies can't yet express themselves, it does NOT mean that they don't notice when they're being left behind or they don't realize! They definitely DO notice and realize, they just can't express themselves!
From when my baby was 3 weeks old, he only took a bottle from me. He refused from anyone else. And I was the only one who could put him to sleep. He'd holler if anyone tried to rock him to sleep. Of course they notice when mom is gone.

tichellady

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 10:43 am
amother [ Tiffanyblue ] wrote:
You're leaving the child out of the equation here, which just proves my point that saying "kids are resilient" just makes parents feel better and less guilty about leaving young children. Leaving a baby that cannot understand what's going on, because parents are "entitled" to a break, is not a healthy way to build resilience. (And it doesn't build resilience. They're just a baby that their parents suddenly disappeared and they have no idea what's going on.)

You must be the authority on what’s best for every kid and family!

salt

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 12:56 am
amother [ Tiffanyblue ] wrote:
Just because little babies can't yet express themselves, it does NOT mean that they don't notice when they're being left behind or they don't realize! They definitely DO notice and realize, they just can't express themselves!
From when my baby was 3 weeks old, he only took a bottle from me. He refused from anyone else. And I was the only one who could put him to sleep. He'd holler if anyone tried to rock him to sleep. Of course they notice when mom is gone.

Yes it may be harder to get them to sleep, or they may have to wait till they are hungrier in order to take the bottle, but they will not be scarred for life!
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics