Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
"This is your legacy" Gift Idea

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 12 2022, 2:33 pm
My father is celebrating a major milestone in his life very soon. My whole family is coming together for that Shabbos to celebrate. My siblings and I are trying to think of a gift to give him and we came up with this starting point: There is nothing more important to my father than his kids. His kids are the most important thing in the world to him and he will literally do anything for them. One of his favorite parts of the day is when the marrieds skype/facetime with the grandkids. We want to give a gift that represents that. Present him with something that says, "look at your legacy, look at what you have." Or something along those lines.
I don't want to do a family portrait (he already has tons of those) I want to do something many levels above that.

Any ideas?

amother
DarkViolet

Post Tue, Jul 12 2022, 2:51 pm
How about an electronic photo holder/frame. Can see pics and short clips and can even be added changed as necessary as time goes on.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 12 2022, 2:56 pm
He has that already. My mother got a wifi photo frame a few years ago and we all send pictures to it all the time

theoneandonly

Post Tue, Jul 12 2022, 3:05 pm
Photo book of all the kids and grandkids? Photo blanket? Blanket with names of all the grandkids on it?

theoneandonly

Post Tue, Jul 12 2022, 3:06 pm
Shutterfly has lots of photo gift ideas you can browse through

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jul 12 2022, 3:09 pm
A personalized photo book on Shutterfly. Each family and kids can help write messages to personalize the various pages etc. we have some and they’re beautiful! Everyone loves to look at them.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 12 2022, 3:11 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
A personalized photo book on Shutterfly. Each family and kids can help write messages to personalize the various pages etc. we have some and they’re beautiful! Everyone loves to look at them.

We just did something very similar to that for my parent's anniversary, in video form...

Its hard. He is literally the man who has everything Smile

Lovable

Post Tue, Jul 12 2022, 3:28 pm
Sounds like he might appreciate something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Birthda.....1ZQ==

What do you think?

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jul 12 2022, 3:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We just did something very similar to that for my parent's anniversary, in video form...

Its hard. He is literally the man who has everything Smile

A book allows you to flip through it on Shabbos, show others etc. have people make tangible artwork, messages. If you’re saying not to do it since you’ve already done a video-I would say it’s a lot different than a video. Though that’s just my opinion

LK1

Post Tue, Jul 12 2022, 3:53 pm
We did a clock that had slots all around and we put in a picture of every family in each.

I could try to find the link. Let me know if you would be interested.

amother
Cognac

Post Tue, Jul 12 2022, 7:08 pm
We once bought a birchas banim al ha'avos (Children's blessing for their parents) directly from Yonah Weinrib and we asked him to personalize it by signing every child's name. You can expand that with spouses, grandchildren, etc.
I tried to paste a pic but I couldn't, you could search for it.

amother
Freesia

Post Tue, Jul 12 2022, 7:41 pm
A friend of mine just did something beautiful for her father’s birthday. Not sure where she had it made but it’s a decor piece with a separate line for each month and then every child and grandchild’s name was hung on the appropriate month. Not explaining it well but it’s clear on this link-
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1.....D_BwE
Hers was more of a modern look in lucite and gold but this is the idea. It’s something that parents really appreciate and find meaningful.

amother
Oldlace

Post Tue, Jul 12 2022, 8:12 pm
this might be a crazy idea but maybe include snippets from report cards about child's middos, nachas reports, dinner honorings (is that a word), job they do, description from sibling, friend, spouse..... ....(without any names so noone will be "embarrassed") from different children, grandchildren, article they wrote... there should be something about everyone over a certain age... and hand it to him saying how well he has raised everyone and how he should be so proud of the legacy he has created. so it's about children and grandchildren but it's about their essence instead just their name or picture. Not sure if it's too hard or if I'm explaining it well, the details definitely would need to be figured out but if you could pull it off I think it would be meaningful....

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 13 2022, 9:08 am
Wow! These are all beautiful ideas. Thanks everyone!! Definitely a lot to start with. Will bring these ideas over to the family chat and discuss Wink

content

Post Wed, Jul 13 2022, 9:23 am
Would he enjoy this kind of family tree idea?
https://www.amazon.com/Persona.....psc=1
Links can always be added later on.
Another format this comes in is the regular family tree style. (Not by date.)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 13 2022, 9:44 am
So my sister had the idea to do something along the lines of "ilan, ilan, b'mah avarechicha.." (basically giving over the message of how much we've learned from my father)

Where can I get a nice painting or something working with that theme? (bonus if we can somehow personalize it-but not necessary)

amother
Moonstone

Post Wed, Jul 13 2022, 10:05 am
I once saw a magnificent family tree from matanel gold art. I'm sure it was quite pricey but if its in your budget it can be beautiful.
It was a huge family tree with all the the names of children and grandchildren etched/cut out.
It had ilan ilan on bottom...It was show stopping!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 13 2022, 10:10 am
amother [ Moonstone ] wrote:
I once saw a magnificent family tree from matanel gold art. I'm sure it was quite pricey but if its in your budget it can be beautiful.
It was a huge family tree with all the the names of children and grandchildren etched/cut out.
It had ilan ilan on bottom...It was show stopping!

Wow! That sounds beautiful! Do you have a link?

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Jul 13 2022, 2:26 pm
https://www.paintyourlife.com

you can add portraits together such as your father's parents, your parents kids and grand kids

aussie2

Post Wed, Jul 13 2022, 3:00 pm
Here is a beautiful ilan art-https://www.etsy.com/listing/642892528/gold-family-tree-wall-art-decor-jewish

I was trying to find the one from matanel that you can put names into..

Our family had a gorgeous one professionally made for my grandparents years ago.. I wish I knew who did it..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics