Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
If I know some of my shabbos guests don't eat red meat--

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 13 2022, 11:28 am
Is it rude of me to make my typical standard cholent with flanken? Obviously I will also serve chicken and everything else is meat free, but typically the cholent is kind of the star of the lunch meal.

Please don't suggest chicken or turkey cholent. I don't want to speak disparagingly about food other people enjoy, but....just no.

I could make it parve. Everyone else who does eat meat will be disappointed though. I almost never serve meat during the week and kids and DH really look forward to the flanken and marrow bones.

Oh, and guests in question are my MIL and FIL. Does that tilt the scale?

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Jul 13 2022, 11:29 am
If you serve another main course, I think its fine

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Jul 13 2022, 11:30 am
I'd make a regular beef chalont and a small parve one for the in laws.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Wed, Jul 13 2022, 11:37 am
How do you feel about your in-laws?
(How does DH feel about his parents and you about him?)

If it was me, I would either make 2-one with meat and one pareve, or just a pareve one, but I get along well with and respect my in-laws.

If you make a pareve one, in addition to chicken, you can make a small brisket or London broil.

amother
Anemone

Post Wed, Jul 13 2022, 11:37 am
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
If you serve another main course, I think its fine

Agree, with the caveat that the other main course needs to be something you know they will enjoy. I wouldn't say that if they were random guests, but for FIL and MIL, you and your husband should know what they like.

This is assuming you will have at least a few different sides also.

watergirl

Post Wed, Jul 13 2022, 11:40 am
Echoing those who said as long as you have some other kind of fleishig component, you should be fine.

Unless your in laws are like my MIL, who hates mushrooms and gets offended if I serve anything with mushrooms. So like on Thanksgiving, I make a killer stuffing and it has mushrooms, so I make her a small one just for her with none... and she is still offended. I let her have her feelings and enjoy my meal.

amother
Anemone

Post Wed, Jul 13 2022, 11:48 am
Another factor: for me, stuff like this also depends on how often they come. If they live in another country and visit for a few days once a year, I would really try to cater to their tastes on every part of the meal.

If they come for Shabbos dinner every week, then they are more like regular members of the family whose preferences count, but not much more than anyone else's.

amother
Tomato

Post Wed, Jul 13 2022, 11:56 am
I would make a second cholent for them. You can get a small crock pot for cheap.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jul 13 2022, 11:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is it rude of me to make my typical standard cholent with flanken? Obviously I will also serve chicken and everything else is meat free, but typically the cholent is kind of the star of the lunch meal.

Please don't suggest chicken or turkey cholent. I don't want to speak disparagingly about food other people enjoy, but....just no.

I could make it parve. Everyone else who does eat meat will be disappointed though. I almost never serve meat during the week and kids and DH really look forward to the flanken and marrow bones.

Oh, and guests in question are my MIL and FIL. Does that tilt the scale?

Make some separately that’s pareve, and the regular cholent as well. It’s easy, just put one up before you add the meat and then do the standard one with it.

tichellady

Post Wed, Jul 13 2022, 12:25 pm
It’s fine if you make another main you know they will like. I wouldn’t make pareve cholent for them unless they are really into it, otherwise it’s just a waste in my opinion

zaq

Post Wed, Jul 13 2022, 12:31 pm
It's not like talking a foreign language in front of people who don't understand it, which is unspeakably (haha) rude. Everyone doesn't eat something, and if you removed from your table everything that any attendee doesn't eat, you'd have nothing to serve. As long as you provide alternatives, no one should have a problem.

amother
Marigold

Post Wed, Jul 13 2022, 12:59 pm
Can you put a second cholent bag in the crock pot with a mini cholent that fits their diet.

We actually had the opposite growing up. My father didn't eat red meat. When we had outside company my mother would make 2 cholents.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jul 13 2022, 1:05 pm
If you are making another main dish why can't it also be a "star". Unless the people absolutely must have some form of cholent, they are going to be fine not eating it - it is not as if you are *insulting* them by making one dish they won't enjoy so long as you are also providing them with a comparable entree.

essie14

Post Wed, Jul 13 2022, 1:59 pm
zaq wrote:
It's not like talking a foreign language in front of people who don't understand it, which is unspeakably (haha) rude. Everyone doesn't eat something, and if you removed from your table everything that any attendee doesn't eat, you'd have nothing to serve. As long as you provide alternatives, no one should have a problem.

This is exactly what I was going to say.
I have several children. There's hardly anything that all of them eat. We always have something (usually many things) that each person likes and will eat.
I don't believe in making everyone eat the same thing.
My sister married a vegetarian while my brother is a major carnivore. Thankfully when they're together my mother makes dishes for each of them.

imaima

Post Wed, Jul 13 2022, 2:03 pm
I would really ask dh what he thinks is better for HIS parents: no cholent or second parce Cholent.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette