Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Skeeter Syndrome/Mosquito Bite Allergy

my mama

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 10:50 am
My daughter was just diagnosed with Skeeter Syndrome, allergies to mosquito bites.

She is generally a drama queen so we did not take her seriously when she cried about the bites and blamed her for the swelling, telling her her constant scratching caused it.

I guess this is something between a PSA and a request for help.

Anyone has any experience with this and how to treat it and what to do to prevent her from getting more mosquito bites?

deeygee

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 11:00 am
I would give them a daily allergy medication (I.e. Zyrtec, Claritin, etc) as a preventative to help mitigate the effects of any mosquito bite. In addition, when they do get a mosquito bite, to carefully monitor it- apply ice or any anti itch cream that helps them in order to avoid the possibility of it developing into cellulitis.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 11:08 am
I don't know if it's the same thing....but my son used to blow up with every mosquito bite. His forehead would double in size when bitten there. His hands and arms looked swollen and infected around each bite. As a baby we had to wrap his arms like a post burn victim.

We moved out of the tri-state area when he was 4. He no longer swells. I guess there are just different mosquitos here.

baked ziti

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 11:19 am
The first thing I do is apply the Neosporin Pain Relief and a large bandaid (if it's not on his face) to prevent scratching and infection. I also keep the child's nails short and when it's particularly swollen I give allergy meds, like Zyrtec.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 11:20 am
That used to happen to me as a child. I would tell my parents that they hurt. And they would tell me “bites itch they don’t hurt” while I was in such pain from the swelling and allergic reaction. Benadryl did give some relief. I still live in the same town I grew up in and outgrew it over the years. Hasn’t happened in a while and I do still get bites.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 11:24 am
Its very real.

Please watch for infection as celulitis can set in. We needed keflex on miltuple occasions (even when watching it).

Benadryl, Zyrtec, Aveeno oatmeal bath, Calamine lotion, ask doc for a hydrocortisone lotion to use while inflamed.

Refuah shelaimah.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 11:41 am
I second the caution regarding cellulitis. My son used to have this happen to him and it often turned to cellulitis. Untreated cellulitis is potentially harmful. Two weeks ago the same happened to me. Symptoms are skin is inflamed and hot to the touch and purple streaks often develop around the bite and spread. The doctor drew a circle around the area to gauge whether it was spreading (it was). The cause as another poster pointed out is the bacteria under the nails from scratching (and also potentially staph on your skin). If you see the signs, have the child seen same day in case antibiotics are needed. In the meantime, use mosquito repellent. Also, keeping nails short and clean is a good start as is washing the skin surface after a bite with antibiotic wound care (CVS has a generic brand in a spray can) and using topical neosporin. But ultimately, no imamother advice is a substitute for your trusted pediatrician's advice.

amother
Springgreen

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 11:45 am
I'm allergic to mosquito bites (bee stings too, FYI, you may want to test for that because it can be more severe). And I'm also a mosquito magnet. So summertime is not fun.
OFF Deep Woods is the best bug repellent I've used.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 11:47 am
I used to have my son wear deet free mosquito repellent bracelets on both hands at all times.,BH he outgrew this allergy.

my mama

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 12:09 pm
Thanks everyone for your advice.

She wore a big repellant bracelet for two days until it got lost, I will reach out to my pediatrician for a daily allergy medication.

I don't like Off! because most of their products contain Deet and I'd rather not spray it on my young daughter as it can cause reproductive harm. I am looking for a healthier substitution.

I will monitor her existing bites and pray that she doesn't get any more.

my mama

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 12:10 pm
amother [ Springgreen ] wrote:
I'm allergic to mosquito bites (bee stings too, FYI, you may want to test for that because it can be more severe). And I'm also a mosquito magnet. So summertime is not fun.
OFF Deep Woods is the best bug repellent I've used.

I thought they can't test for sting allergies and can only diagnose via symptoms.

my mama

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 12:12 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
I don't know if it's the same thing....but my son used to blow up with every mosquito bite. His forehead would double in size when bitten there. His hands and arms looked swollen and infected around each bite. As a baby we had to wrap his arms like a post burn victim.

We moved out of the tri-state area when he was 4. He no longer swells. I guess there are just different mosquitos here.

It definitely sounds like it. Let's hope he outgrew it.

amother
Tealblue

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 12:14 pm
We use the parakito bracelet and wondercide spray

Earthley drawing salve and plant therapy after bite roll on to take down inflammation

We never used this but ppl say it works https://www.amazon.com/Extract.....0cnVl

There are also bug repellant patches

Methylated B vitamins and especially thiamine can deter insects, use in high doses and thiamax for the b1

Ledum homeopathic can help with bug bite symptoms, and apis if rash develops

In terms of the allergy, it’s a mast cell or histamine thing, so magnesium, trace minerals, adrenal support, low histamine probiotics and ferments, and a supplement like dhist can be helpful in quieting mast cells

my mama

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 12:29 pm
amother [ Tealblue ] wrote:
We use the parakito bracelet and wondercide spray

Earthley drawing salve and plant therapy after bite roll on to take down inflammation

We never used this but ppl say it works https://www.amazon.com/Extract.....0cnVl

There are also bug repellant patches

Methylated B vitamins and especially thiamine can deter insects, use in high doses and thiamax for the b1

Ledum homeopathic can help with bug bite symptoms, and apis if rash develops

In terms of the allergy, it’s a mast cell or histamine thing, so magnesium, trace minerals, adrenal support, low histamine probiotics and ferments, and a supplement like dhist can be helpful in quieting mast cells

Thank you
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics