Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Do’s and Don’ts when making a playroom. Ideas pls!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 4:11 pm
Didn’t read the whole thread, so there may be repeats:

Seating you’ll be comfortable on.
A separate area you can fence off for big kid toys like legos.
A lot of shelving- we have floor to ceiling and use the upper shelves for toys not in rotation now.
A small table and chairs for art- probably on the no baby side.

Not_in_my_town

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 4:14 pm
Not so much about furniture, but something that I really enjoyed when youngest was little was a Dutch door. I could leave her in the play room for a few minutes with the top part open while I was working in the kitchen. It's like a glorified baby gate:

https://www.schlage.com/blog/c.....eded.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 4:23 pm
amother [ Blushpink ] wrote:
Whatever you do do not make your playroom in the basement or upstairs. Next to the kitchen is preferable if you want your kids to play in it.

We just finished the basement. I have kids 2-12. They love it. They spend all their time down there. It really depends on how you set it up and if it's done properly. It's painted a fun bright color, it's very organized, and it has so much to do. And it's large which is also a plus.

amother
Chambray

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 4:53 pm
pause wrote:
I've never seen this but I found it hysterical to see images of what my kids do (without a specialty item). They use the couch cushions and decorative pillows, blankets from their beds and an extra mattress we have. I sometimes wonder why I even have toys!

I don’t let my kids use the regular furniture for playing. This is a couch specifically for them to do what ever they want. It’s used and abused and still looks new. They make tents and jungle gyms and play all sorts of games with it. It was worth every penny. I’d get another if I had more space. Bonus for me is that it looks like a nice little couch when it’s cleaned up and not being used.

amother
Chambray

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 4:55 pm
finprof wrote:

This looks awesome! I wish I had the space for it!

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 5:05 pm
Whatever you do do not make your playroom in the basement or upstairs. Next to the kitchen is preferable if you want your kids to play in it.

Mine is off the kitchen and I can't stand it. Toys constantly creeping into kitchen and crumbs from kitchen trailing into playroom. At least I have a door we close during mealtime so that the kids sit by the table, but I wouldn't recommend especially with kids past the toddler stage.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 5:17 pm
Chiming in that my playroom is in the basement. I didn't have another choice but I really love that the toys aren't all over the house or in eating areas.
My basement is where they can play with beachballs, paper airplanes, balloons, etc. There is no throwing anywhere else in the house. There is nothing not child friendly in my basement. I wanted it to be a place where I didn't have to worry about things.
About art: I originally had it in my playroom but it was getting too messy crafts mixing with toys that I ended up bringing the crafts stuff upstairs where it could be better supervised. I guess if your basement is big enough and you can really have a seperate area and neat kids it could work.

amother
Stonewash

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 6:10 pm

ours in the basement and gets lots of use. it's my kids kids space Wink

amother
Fern

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 6:22 pm
Rubies wrote:
Does the rock climbing wall get used?

Not so much. But the swings and monkey bars are used a ton. My kids go down to the playroom basically every day after camp along with some neighborhood kids and just hang out on the swings. The actual toys are not really used to much and don’t provide as much entertainment.

amother
Calendula

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 6:23 pm
amother [ Fern ] wrote:
I don’t know how much space you have, but we have a rock climbing wall and some swings suspended from our ceiling, as well as a reading nook, and an arts and crafts corner. Large closets are great, too, for organizational purposes.

I’m looking to do that too did you order all that yourself? Or got a contractor?

amother
Fern

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 6:25 pm
amother [ Calendula ] wrote:
I’m looking to do that too did you order all that yourself? Or got a contractor?

It was our covid project - we built in all ourselves . I looked at fun factory sensory gym on Instagram for ideas and inspiration, and ordered all the swings from amazon. We built the rock climbing wall etc ourselves.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 6:34 pm
If it’s in the basement:
Small trampoline
Ping pong table
Foosball
Basket ball arcade game
Chalkboard for playing school
Curtain for putting on shows

amother
Calendula

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 7:16 pm
amother [ Fern ] wrote:
It was our covid project - we built in all ourselves . I looked at fun factory sensory gym on Instagram for ideas and inspiration, and ordered all the swings from amazon. We built the rock climbing wall etc ourselves.

Wow amazing. If you have any links I would love them.

amother
Seablue

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 7:53 pm
I love that so many of you have playrooms similar to mine—most people irl think I’m crazy and way overdo it. I have:

Several couches from nugget
A large gym from fitness kids
Foam climbing pieces from foamnasium
Swings
Shelves for the toys
And arts & crafts closet
A ball pit

I don’t have a rock climbing wall because my kids don’t like them. But that’s an option as well.

amother
Seablue

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 7:57 pm
amother [ Fern ] wrote:
Do you have a net swing? Maybe I should get one of those

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Jul 15 2022, 1:59 am
Walk in closet of toys
With shelves not too deep and not to shallow

amother
Poppy

Post Fri, Jul 15 2022, 2:26 am
Can anyone post a link for what kind of swing please?

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Jul 15 2022, 12:47 pm
How did you install swings yourself safely?
My kids have been asking to put up a swing

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 21 2022, 8:25 pm
Was thinking of getting bean bags for the reading corner. Want pretty colors like pastel style … any ideas?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 9:19 pm
I wanna buy a kind of big bulletin board or something similar to display their artwork and awards etc… any cute ideas? Dont like those typical brown ones
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics