Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
I sleep trained but baby still wakes at 530am to eat.
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 5:47 am
in the beginning of sleep training when baby woke after 5 I fed her and assumed eventually she'd get up later but that never happened.
Does a baby need to eat that early? Should I just be ok with it? will she train herself to sleep a bit later? or do I need to sleep train her again for this part of the "night"?

please try to answer the questions and not to attack me for sleep training. if you don't believe in it just skip this thread. TY!

giftedmom

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 5:49 am
Yes! Babies need to eat that early. She will eventually outgrow it. Please don’t ignore your baby’s needs.

mushkamothers

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 5:50 am
How old is the baby? You can't train hunger out of a human. If she's hungry then you feed her. You can consider it a night feed but sounds like she's up for the day.

imasinger

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 5:51 am
You won't get helpful responses until you add how old your baby is.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 5:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
in the beginning of sleep training when baby woke after 5 I fed her and assumed eventually she'd get up later but that never happened.
Does a baby need to eat that early? Should I just be ok with it? will she train herself to sleep a bit later? or do I need to sleep train her again for this part of the "night"?

please try to answer the questions and not to attack me for sleep training. if you don't believe in it just skip this thread. TY!

How old is your baby

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 5:53 am
5 months and a buster. She eats a LOT during the day. I cleared the sleep training her pediatrician before.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 5:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
5 months and a buster. I cleared the sleep training her pediatrician before.

So she is a bit young to be sleep trained for the full 12 hours she probably is sleeping by 8 so at 5 it’s 9 hours which is normal for the baby to need food. My baby is over a year and days she don’t eat well she wakes for a bottle in middle of the night. And on other days she’s gets up at 6 for a bottle it’s 10 hours which is a long stretch

imaima

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 5:57 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
5 months and a buster. She eats a LOT during the day. I cleared the sleep training her pediatrician before.

Of course she needs to eat
Sleep training doesn’t mean you get to sleep as much as you need to
It means that your baby can fall asleep unassisted

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 5:57 am
What time are you putting her to sleep?
My daughter had an early morning feed for about a year. She went to sleep at about 7-8pm, ate a lot during the day, but it was too much for her to go 12 hours at that point.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 6:03 am
usually she goes to sleep 7:30-8. yesterday, she ate after 9 and went to sleep then and still woke up at 5:30. my question is if it's about hunger or just what she's used to by now.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 6:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
usually she goes to sleep 7:30-8. yesterday, she ate after 9 and went to sleep then and still woke up at 5:30. my question is if it's about hunger or just what she's used to by now.

Probably a combo of both but more likely hunger

DVOM

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 6:05 am
I start sleep training at about 6 weeks, but I find that my kids need that early morning feeding for a long time. My daughter is now 1. She goes to sleep at around 7 for the night, and is up for a bottle at 5. I give her a warm milk bottle in her crib, change her diaper, give her a kiss and go back to bed. She almost always drinks up and falls back to sleep until about 8. I consider this a successful night. The aim, for me, is to get my babies used to sleeping when they're not hungry. It makes sense to me that by 5, 5:30, my girl hasn't eaten in 10 hours and is hungry. So I feed her.

Rachel Shira

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 6:21 am
Totally normal. Feed and if you’re lucky she’ll sleep another hour or so. My kids need an early morning feeding until past/around age 1.

imasinger

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 6:32 am
I wouldn't assume anything but hunger for several more months.

Sara B.

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 6:48 am
5:30 is morning and breakfast time

Lilac1859

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 7:37 am
My daughter is now 6.5 months and I sleep trained her using the 12 hours of sleep by 12 weeks old method. She now sleeps 745 pm until 7AM, if she wakes up before 7 I give her the paci and she goes back to sleep or plays in her crib until its time to eat, if she sleeps past 7 I don't wake her. We faces a simular issue with her eating very early in the morning when she was about 4 months but according to the book that is the last step in sleep training, you need to start pushing her morning feed later and later by 15 minute interval every 3 days or so.
This does not mean you are ignoring your babies needs and hunger, it simply means you are feeding her everything her body needs during the day hours instead of night hours (just like adults do) You just have to make sure she's eating enough during the 12-13 hours that she does eat. I've heard its about 2.5 ounces per pound in a 24 hour period, so divide that by the amount of feedings she has (typically 4) though it may vary depending on if its breastmilk or formula and gender of the baby.
Obviously there are exceptions and when my baby doesn't have a big appetite and doesn't finish her bottle before she goes to bed then anticipate her needing her morning feed before 7 AM the next morning.

tichellady

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 8:48 am
yea a full night for a baby is about 9 hours so makes sense. you can try putting her back to sleep after that feeding

tichellady

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 8:54 am
ek22 wrote:
My daughter is now 6.5 months and I sleep trained her using the 12 hours of sleep by 12 weeks old method. She now sleeps 745 pm until 7AM, if she wakes up before 7 I give her the paci and she goes back to sleep or plays in her crib until its time to eat, if she sleeps past 7 I don't wake her. We faces a simular issue with her eating very early in the morning when she was about 4 months but according to the book that is the last step in sleep training, you need to start pushing her morning feed later and later by 15 minute interval every 3 days or so.
This does not mean you are ignoring your babies needs and hunger, it simply means you are feeding her everything her body needs during the day hours instead of night hours (just like adults do) You just have to make sure she's eating enough during the 12-13 hours that she does eat. I've heard its about 2.5 ounces per pound in a 24 hour period, so divide that by the amount of feedings she has (typically 4) though it may vary depending on if its breastmilk or formula and gender of the baby.
Obviously there are exceptions and when my baby doesn't have a big appetite and doesn't finish her bottle before she goes to bed then anticipate her needing her morning feed before 7 AM the next morning.

well there are different opinions but according to my pediatrician 12 hours is not realistic for most babies and that book is not very accurate

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 8:57 am
Please feed your baby when she wakes up

amother
Lightyellow

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 9:23 am
Poor baby! Of course you should feed her!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics