Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Arizona in the summer
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 10:34 am
I am thinking to go to Arizona in August. (Casa Grande area). Has anyone been there at that time? is it too hot to enjoy the outdoors? I heard that it is hot but not humid, does that mean that is duoble?

doctorima

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 10:52 am
We've been to Arizona in the summer, but spent most of our time in Sedona and the Grand Canyon, which was hot enough. The Shabbos we spent in Phoenix was enough to teach me that dry heat or not, summer in that area is not pleasant unless you're just going to go swimming or stay indoors all day. If you want to be outdoors, find someplace else to go in August.

tichellady

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 10:53 am
not humid but dry heat is hot too!

amother
Eggplant

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 11:08 am
An oven is dry heat too. That’s what I feels like when you step outside, like you’re being hit with oven flames

LK1

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 11:15 am
We were in Arizona one August during a heatwave no less! temp was 107 most days.

It was dry heat so it's really was not bad (it's worse here. We did hiking and all and you just need to remember to drink a lot.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 11:50 am
LK1 wrote:
We were in Arizona one August during a heatwave no less! temp was 107 most days.

It was dry heat so it's really was not bad (it's worse here. We did hiking and all and you just need to remember to drink a lot.

Phoenix in July can regularly go 110-120.

An oven is an oven.

Rubies

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 11:52 am
Somehow the heat is more bearable than humidity but heat is heat. At some point, it's just too hot to be outside.

amother
Dustypink

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 11:55 am
I would not recommend it. It's Literally like being in an oven or in a boiling hot car the first few minutes without AC. It's unbearable.

LK1

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 11:58 am
amother [ Razzmatazz ] wrote:
Phoenix in July can regularly go 110-120.

An oven is an oven.

My oven is usually 350 not 110.

Don't know what to say. We really had a nice time and the heat was very bearable.
Just being honest.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 11:59 am
If you like feeling like you are walking around in a giant pizza oven, go for it. Otherwise, I'd save AZ for a different season.

amother
Hunter

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 12:11 pm
Heat is heat. The only reason that people talk about humidity levels is because humidity makes one feel hotter because perspiration doesn't evaporate.

However in the East temperatures don't regularly get to be over 100 degrees regularly. The weather reports talk about THI which is the Temperature Humidity Index which is what the perceived discomfort level is.

Unless one is a lizard, one is not going to be able to enjoy being outdoors in Arizona during the summer.

In desert climates, most people don't venture out except early in the morning and late at night when the heat is less intense. They stay indoors and use air conditioning.

Even cars get too hot. I live in Los Angeles which doesn't often get to that level of temperature but I still remember one day when the Santa Ana winds were blowing and it was about 110 degrees. It is like being blasted by an oven - it is the only way to describe it. To say your oven is 350 degrees doesn't describe because obviously people aren't literally being baked although if you are in the sun you can suffer from a heat stroke which is very dangerous.

Even a car air conditioning system doesn't work to really cool the car down when the sun is at peak levels.

Go someplace in the summer that has a moderate temperature. San Diego, Maine, Pacific Northwest, San Francisco all have wonderful summer climates.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 12:35 pm
I live here and I feel like I'm dying every day. It's bad. Like really really bad. No it doesn't help that it's a dry heat when it's 115 degrees. We are desperate to get out of here for the summers. Don't do it!!

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 12:39 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
I live here and I feel like I'm dying every day. It's bad. Like really really bad. No it doesn't help that it's a dry heat when it's 115 degrees. We are desperate to get out of here for the summers. Don't do it!!

Wow! Did you live there a while? I would think you'd get used to it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 1:07 pm
thanks all, I appreciate your responses!

Zahava94

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 1:15 pm
I would not recommend visiting the valley area (Phoenix / Scottsdale / Casa Grande) in the summer if you plan on spending lots of time outdoors.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 6:51 pm
We checked online and it is about 80 degrees in Flagstaff. Can anyone verify if the heat is unbearable in 80 degrees? Also is it very rainy now in Arizona? Tia

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 7:11 pm
Uch no— maybe north Arizona might be ok good luck

Amarante

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 7:20 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
We checked online and it is about 80 degrees in Flagstaff. Can anyone verify if the heat is unbearable in 80 degrees? Also is it very rainy now in Arizona? Tia

Flagstaff has an elevation of about 7000 feet which is extremely high. Denver is less than that is the mile high city. The temperature in Flagstaff is always less than the lower elevated Phoenix.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 7:28 pm
Please please do NOT go to arizona in the summer
I made that mistake couple of years ago and every time I think of it I get heat flashes lol
Omg is it HOT
We spent so much money and couldn’t enjoy anything since it was impossible to walk outdoors
Every hike ended after 10 min
The car takes ages to cool off .. if it ever does
We cut our vacation short since it was really not bearable

challahchallah

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 7:45 pm
LK1 wrote:
My oven is usually 350 not 110.

Don't know what to say. We really had a nice time and the heat was very bearable.
Just being honest.

You’re not alone—we’ve also really enjoyed Arizona in the summer! We kept our outdoorsy activities to early morning and late afternoon / evening. We spent the middle of the day swimming mostly, or sometimes enjoying an afternoon nap.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics