Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
UPDATE!! Have you had your tonsils out as an adult??
Previous  1  2

Gea

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 10:10 am
zoom wrote:
Hi, just an update.

Iv been prescribed tramadol which is an alternative to codeine. (Anyone tried this?)
Really hope this agrees with me.

Was up for hours after taking codeine last night.

Thanks.

Tramadol is another pain killer in the same class as Codeine. They are both Opioids, but sometimes a person will tolerate one better than others (similar to the class of antibiotics - some people may not tolerate some antibiotics, but will tolerate others). Try to take the Tramadol as prescribed as that should give you the best pain relief (again in a few more days, or whenever the pain lessens you can then extend time between taking doses until you don’t need at all). Of course monitor yourself for any reactions as you did with the Codeine. Nausea is a common side effect with all these medications though (as I mentioned previously, it sometime improves once you have taken a few doses), so if that is the primary side effect you could try an anti-nausea medication (if you don’t have any contraindications).
Also feeling woozy/out of it/sleepy is very common with these medications.
Hope you tolerate the Tramadol and can get your pain under control. I think it is very likely that once your pain is under control, you’ll turn the corner and start to recover more quickly.

zoom

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 1:47 pm
Thanks so much!

I hope so too.

Im finding it really hard and lonely. And I guess I never knew what I was in for, so my kids werent expecting it either.

Iv been in bed for nearly a week, really hope I start to feel better soon Crying

Gea

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 2:44 pm
zoom wrote:
Thanks so much!

I hope so too.

Im finding it really hard and lonely. And I guess I never knew what I was in for, so my kids werent expecting it either.

Iv been in bed for nearly a week, really hope I start to feel better soon Crying

While I haven’t personally had the surgery, I have spoken to many people who have and they all say it is a really tough surgery as an adult. I suspect the responses you got from people who had the surgery when they were 18/20 were close enough to teens that they had an easier time.

I strongly believe pain control is the first step to feeling better, but just remind yourself that regardless every day your body is healing and getting better. Also be’H you will no longer deal with whatever issues required you to have your tonsils out (which were no doubt also very unpleasant).

You might not feel right now that you would choose to do the surgery if you had the choice again (thankfully H’ is very wise and only gave us one set of tonsils), but at this point you are past the worst of it and it will only get better. Just try to keep remembering that you are on the incline now and once you heal fully you will be a tonsil-less superhero - immune to Strep or whatever else caused those tonsils to be better out than in. Shooting Arrow

zoom

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 3:27 pm
Ah thanks thats v sweet.

I dont know a single person IRL whose had it out as an adult.

zoom

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 4:33 pm
Hi,
So another update.

The tramadol made me feel very sweaty and faint within a few hours, and suprisingly did not get rid of the pain.
Was up for a loong time after taking it, and felt very 'out of it.'
Now Im too worried to try again.
Took ONE today but too scared to take more.

Today I feel a little better, my head is clear and body starting to feel bit normal bh.

Had a little bit more to eat then yesterday.

Its just every so often,
when I have a drink of water, I get this super intense pain in my throat and ear (only on one side), makes me stop everything for few mins.
Cant move or talk its that painful.

I have a drs appt tomo.
Really hope I get some clarity or more meds, because Im trying so hard to space out the paracetmol doses now, cos thats all Im on.

Im fed up of the side effects, really thought I was starting to recover and then Bam! Pain comes back.

Sunny Days

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 5:00 pm
Oh. That’s so frustrating. I do hope you find some relief and the rest of your recovery is super easy and smooth.

But happy to hear you were able to get some food down.

Hugs Hug Hug

zoom

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 5:04 pm
Thanks!

I love that hug emoji.

shanarishona

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 5:14 pm
What about a different narcotic?

I feel so bad for you!

zoom

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 2:53 pm
Thank you!

I just got a new one called nefopam. (?)
Waiting till tomorrow to try it.
Im nervous, again, of starting something nee.

And Im trying out going back on ibuprofen again.

Tbh Im so bored and lonely being in bed every day. Crying
I dont talk on the phone cos its too painful and its just going on and on...

My husband is juggling juggling everything and its hard.

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 9:57 pm
Zoom, that’s so hard. To be in pain and helpless and feel like you’re burdening dh with too much... if you were local to me I would’ve sent you over some soup or offered your kids to come over and play...

Hopefully you’ll be over the hump pretty soon (how many days post op are you now?) and ‘zoom’ thru the rest of recovery more easily.

In the meantime are there any shows you can watch or a puzzle or some other calm, quiet activity that would help your boredom but not take much concentration or koach?

Perhaps organizing albums or doing a Shutterfly or similar photo books for the kids if you’re into that kind of thing?

Is there anything like mekimi where you live? They have a dvd lending library and provide entertainment to the home.

Sending some more hugs and love your way for a Refuah sheleima
Hug Heart Hug

zoom

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 4:23 pm
Hi!

Just wanted to send an update to all the lovely people who replied to me when I was feeling so awful.

Bh from day 9 started feeling better and improving.
Was still on just paracetml and app I got thrush so was on medication for that.

Bh went back to work on day 15.

Had an appt with Gp and they said all looks fine.

Still feeling like I have a sore throat and sometimes feeling hoarse, quite uncomfortable at back of throat sometimes, as if there is something there that doesnt go away with swallowing, so have tried ENT again since they have discharged me to gp and waiting to hear back from them.

But bh nothing like it was and so grateful to be over it bh!!

zoom

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 4:24 pm

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 9:56 pm
Thanks for updating op!
I was actually thinking about you a couple of days ago and was going to do a search for this thread to check in, but I am really trying to stay away from this site so pushed it off and just saw this notification in my inbox- so did a quick check in before logging out for the next while...
Glad to hear things improved and hope the rest of the irritation will disappear shortly and you should have a complete recovery really quickly. ❤️

(And ouch about the thrush too and annoying that ENT sends you back to GP when this is clearly a post surgery thing... but I guess this is because of a complete different system than us in the US...)

zoom

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 4:39 pm
Hi,

Just wanted to post today because I am so grateful.
It has been one year since I had my tonsils out BH!!

TYH TYH it was so horrible at the time.
I didnt thimk I would feel better and be able to eat.

I made some goodies and shared them out with my family.

I feel so blessed Bh.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics