Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
TV shows for teen daughter
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Thistle

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 9:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you amother thistle for understanding the extremely tough situation we are in. Yes I am aware that TV is garbage and even the most benign shows nowadays are promoting a certain agenda. But we have no other options right now. She's normally an avid reader but is unable to mentally focus and maintain attention to read right now. Trust me if it wasn't necessary I would never allow it. My kids almost never get screen time and have no unsupervised access to devices under normal circumstances. We are very very far from normal right now and this is the only thing that is getting her through right now. That's why I'm asking for suggestions here. I figure slightly older shows are less likely to contain questionable material (ie same gender relationships, transgender characters etc) so easier to weed out the things we really don't want her watching.

I'll tell you that the show I most enjoyed back during my recovery process then was actually Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman (which has already been suggested). It's an older show made in the 90s (not as old as some of the suggestions though, but old enough so no new-age woke progressive stuff), and since it's historical, it doesn't come across as outdated. Based on the criteria you describe, I don't think you would have any objections. It's more of a family drama type show, rather than one geared for kids, so a 13 year old girl is at the perfect age to enjoy it, when some other shows suggested might seem too kiddie-like for her.

amother
Yolk

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 9:31 pm
My daughters like Just add magic.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 9:49 pm
amother [ Thistle ] wrote:
I'll tell you that the show I most enjoyed back during my recovery process then was actually Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman (which has already been suggested). It's an older show made in the 90s (not as old as some of the suggestions though, but old enough so no new-age woke progressive stuff), and since it's historical, it doesn't come across as outdated. Based on the criteria you describe, I don't think you would have any objections. It's more of a family drama type show, rather than one geared for kids, so a 13 year old girl is at the perfect age to enjoy it, when some other shows suggested might seem too kiddie-like for her.

Thank you! Definitely going to look into that one for her then. It sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. Something not too childish, not so outdated that it doesn't hold her interest, but still old enough that there's no woke progressive stuff as you put it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 9:50 pm
amother [ Yolk ] wrote:
My daughters like Just add magic.

My 8 and 10 year old liked that show but my 13 year old had no interest. It's geared towards a younger age group not teens.

amother
Dahlia

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 9:59 pm
Jessie
Bunk'd
(They're teen shows but I really enjoyed them myself! They're very entertaining.)
Alexa and Katie
Good Luck Charlie
are both also great shows for that age.

I would encourage her to give them a try, even if she thinks she won't like them. They're quite entertaining.

snailmail

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 6:37 pm
Like others said, most TV & movies nowadays, even the ones that are age appropriate & generally ok, they have inappropriate woke undercurrents.
There is a channel I signed up for - UpFaithAndFamily that have a lot more appropriate things for my teen girls to watch. On it is Heartland which is pretty good show.
Aside from that, there are plenty of cooking shows on other platforms that are good - if she is into that: Master Chef Junior, Cupcake wars, Great British Bakeoff, etc

muminmich

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 6:43 pm
Look up "brain games" on Disney. Fascinating!

Also on Disney is father of the bride 1&2 and cheaper by the dozen 1&2 which are a lot of fun and pretty clean

Refuah shelaimah to your daughter!

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 6:50 pm
OP, try having her watch I love Lucy. Totally clean, and if she gets hooked, shes got hundreds of episodes to go through.
Also, look into the TV show Monk. I think I watched it on amazon prime. Excellent, about a detective with OCD who solves cases-and it was clean.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 6:50 pm
Double post

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 7:17 pm
Masterchef
Masterchef Junior
Shark Tank
Judge Judy
Mr Bean

Daddy Daycare
Unaccompanied Minors
Charlie and the Chocolate factory (original)
Sleepover (not sure if you'll find that appropriate)

sequoia

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 7:24 pm
Victorious

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 7:25 pm
How about the Malkie show?
It’s not a long term solution but it very wholesome.

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 7:37 pm
My husband and I are watching Phineas and Ferb. It's for a younger age range but it's so cute and hilarious and wholesome and generally well written and well executed! So I don't know about teenage girls but we love it. Would definitely watch again one day during an illness.

amother
Carnation

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 7:46 pm
Refuah shleimah!
The jewish stations have the jewish movies, musicals, and more.
Also toveedo.
Naki radio for stories and music.
hugs and hatzlocha!

amother
Lightcoral

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 7:53 pm
Shark Tank
America's got talent
Extreme makeover home edition
All shows that are "real" and clean-ish and available on hulu...

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 8:04 pm
Disney and Pixar.

bigsis144

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 8:15 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
My husband and I are watching Phineas and Ferb. It's for a younger age range but it's so cute and hilarious and wholesome and generally well written and well executed! So I don't know about teenage girls but we love it. Would definitely watch again one day during an illness.

Yes! Phineas and Ferb is such a hilarious and clever show! Legitimately good music, and so quotable! 1000% recommend for older kids and adults! The writers also wrote Milo Murphy’s Law, which isn’t as amazing but is still cute and funny.

Kim Possible (the animated series only, the new live action movie is meh) is also fun and animated. Minor boy-girl stuff, more toward the later seasons and finale, but not more than a kiss at the prom kind of thing. Also very fun and silly, I love the stylized animation and over the top supervillains.

Not Disney, but another incredible animated show (I saw it for the first time as an adult so I’m not just recommending on nostalgia) is Avatar the Last Airbender. Some of the best-written character arcs in any fiction I’ve ever consumed.

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 8:20 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
Not Disney, but another incredible animated show (I saw it for the first time as an adult so I’m not just recommending on nostalgia) is Avatar the Last Airbender. Some of the best-written character arcs in any fiction I’ve ever consumed.

Oooo yes you're so right ATLA is great!!! We watched that recently too. Shows I missed during my own childhood even though they were around.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 8:25 pm
I would really only look at things from 10+ yrs ago. Shows have been rlly downhill recently

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 9:14 pm
My sister once got a fully loaded harddrive of Jewish videos shows and plays I believe it was from Mekimi

Also if you live anywhere near Brooklyn there's an iPad gemach we took while D's was in hospital, fully loaded with Jewish entertainment the organization is called Imachaya
718-854-2222.

Refuah shleima
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children