Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Working Moms: How do you know your infant is treated well a
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Seablue

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 6:32 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What you said is right but irrelevant to my question.

If you sent your infant to a babysitter all day every day, wouldnt you yearn to see him midday, sometimes?

I get photos and videos. Usually 2-4 around 1pm. I don t need mor do I want a video feed.

motherfrmisrael

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 6:48 am
Know on the door unexpected
Send someone else to (hi, I am so-and-so's mom, can I leave this here for her?)
Always listen behind the door before knocking
Is she a nice pleasant person? because if you don't enjoy her company, your child very likely doesn't either

bottom line - always always be on your toes. But it does not mean they aren't happy, but it's still the responsible thing to do.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 7:28 am
motherfrmisrael wrote:
Know on the door unexpected
Send someone else to (hi, I am so-and-so's mom, can I leave this here for her?)

No, don't. Show her some respect. The other suggestions are ok, but don't treat the child care like a post office. Why do you want to distract her from caring for your child to go and answer the door? And put the extra burden of remembering a parcel delivery when she is dealing with all the parents arriving? And I wouldn't think it was too responsible of her to accept parcels from strangers, whomever they claim to be.

Last edited by Elfrida on Wed, Jul 20 2022, 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Tanzanite

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 7:58 am
Do your due diligence. Ask the right questions. Group size matters. Basic hygiene matters. The morah's personality/nature matters. Daycares are safer than at home. With all that, know that you can't really know. That's not a reason to ignore red flags. It's a reason to daven. Even the most wonderful babysitters can experience burn out.

I feel bad for the babies I took care of the year I was dealing with severe postpartum issues. They just didn't get the best of me. Some of them were younger siblings of other babies I had taken care of. I don't think the parents had any idea that their baby was getting a different level of care.

Once I realized how bad it was getting I stopped working until I got back to myself. Bh the babies were safe and physically cared for but it's important to know that even a good babysitter can have an off year.

amother
Springgreen

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 7:41 pm
Try to choose a babysitter near your work so you can stop in to nurse

amother
Melon

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 10:25 pm
I babysit at home. If your baby seems happy and well cared for, she probably is. Also, if you ask questions about your baby's day, the babysitter's answers might tell you some things.

I would not be okay with having video cameras set up in my home. Dh works weird hours and he is often there with me while I babysit. I don't need random people watching my interactions with him, even though we wouldn't show affection to each other in public. He doesn't need an audience while he snoozes on the recliner. These mothers don't need to watch what we make ourselves for lunch. They don't need to see that while the babies are sleeping, I eat in front of the computer. I would hate to feel like I'm being watched all day, especially in those precious few minutes when everyone is asleep and I get to relax. And I know I am a good babysitter, and I respond immediately every time a kid cries. I do a lot with them, but I do relax when things quiet down at naptime.

Goodness, I had my nursing baby with me all year. I don't need anyone watching me nurse her.

amother
Forsythia

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 10:46 pm
amother [ Melon ] wrote:
I babysit at home. If your baby seems happy and well cared for, she probably is. Also, if you ask questions about your baby's day, the babysitter's answers might tell you some things.

I would not be okay with having video cameras set up in my home. Dh works weird hours and he is often there with me while I babysit. I don't need random people watching my interactions with him, even though we wouldn't show affection to each other in public. He doesn't need an audience while he snoozes on the recliner. These mothers don't need to watch what we make ourselves for lunch. They don't need to see that while the babies are sleeping, I eat in front of the computer. I would hate to feel like I'm being watched all day, especially in those precious few minutes when everyone is asleep and I get to relax. And I know I am a good babysitter, and I respond immediately every time a kid cries. I do a lot with them, but I do relax when things quiet down at naptime.

Goodness, I had my nursing baby with me all year. I don't need anyone watching me nurse her.

Yes this!!!!
I feel the same way.
You can be a great babysitter and not feel comfortable having cameras set up.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 10:55 pm
Some things that made me feel confident in my choice of babysitter were:

Clear systems- Even in a small space, it should be obvious that the babysitter has some kind of system going on for the babies that are sleeping, eating, playing etc.

Confident Demeanour - When I discuss something with the babysitter and she can give real responses, such as "______ was really hungry when he got home yesterday, did he eat well?" And she can actually give a response

Knows the baby's schedule - When I pick up, a babysitter I can trust will be able.to tell me when he slept, what he ate and any other relevant info

Loving Interactions - I sometimes would stay at the babysitter during pickup to nurse because I had to go straight to another pickup and would observe the way she interacted with the babies. Things like picking up gently, words they use when the baby cries etc

Other than that, just use your judgement and Daven Smile
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics