Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Not sure if I should take the job

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 7:44 pm
How do you know if a job is the right fit for you? I've been a stay at home mom for almost 13 years. I've been thinking of getting out there and doing something. I was offered a part time teaching job but I'm too nervous to say yes. I also love being home, though. The job is part time, so I'll be home a lot too. However, some of that time time spent at home will be me being busy lesson planning. Also, the school is 40 minutes away from me. I guess that's not too terrible. How do you know whether or not to say yes to a job after being home for so long? I'm having a really hard time with making this decision.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 7:46 pm
Do you need the money? Do you feel the desire to do more out of the house? Onthink these are big factors to consider.

amother
Tomato

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 7:51 pm
A 40 minute commute is pretty significant, especially with gas prices these days. Will that be a significant portion of your salary?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 7:54 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Do you need the money? Do you feel the desire to do more out of the house? Onthink these are big factors to consider.

B'H we don't need the money. But yes, I've had the desire to do something lately.

amother
Maple

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 7:56 pm
40 minutes one way is pretty terrible. Especially after 13 years at home. Commuting is soul sucking and traffic everywhere has only gotten worse. Plus gas prices.

amother
Maple

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 7:59 pm
I actually came back to say - if you don't need money then don't take any commuting job.
Unless maybe you live somewhere where you have to drive 30 minutes minimum just go get anywhere. If you don't then look for a job within walking distance. Trust me I put in my time commuting.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 8:39 pm
I’ll be the voice of dissent. Some days I commute 40 minutes per way and I find the drive to be rather relaxing. I like to listen to music or podcasts. So I would say if it’s a relaxing commute then go for it. If it’s going to be a lot of stop and go traffic then skip it.

amother
Lightblue

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 8:42 pm
re the commuting, ive never worked a job where I didnt have to commute. I find its such a frum luxury to work in a town you live in...
I live in queens but have to travel to brooklyn for work and its a minimum of 35 mins... this is life...

familyfirst

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 9:44 pm
Forget the commute-
Will you need time to prepare?

Preparing and commuting could amount to a few hours a day. Combined with actual work, you could be leading a very different lifestyle than before

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 21 2022, 7:40 am
familyfirst wrote:
Forget the commute-
Will you need time to prepare?

Preparing and commuting could amount to a few hours a day. Combined with actual work, you could be leading a very different lifestyle than before

Yes, I'd need to make time for lesson planning

ChutzPAh

Post Thu, Jul 21 2022, 7:44 am
With a 40 minute commute I wouldn’t do it. Schools are desperate for teachers and you can likely find something closer.

groovy1224

Post Thu, Jul 21 2022, 7:49 am
I think it's a little silly to take a job with a 40 minute commute each way just for something to do.

If you needed the money it would be a different story, or you've been dreaming about getting into teaching and this is your opportunity. Personally if I were you I would wait for something closer to home.

imasinger

Post Thu, Jul 21 2022, 7:50 am
A few questions.

Are there likely to be jobs that fit for you that are closer to home? Would it be worth investigating before saying yes?

If so, would you be a good candidate right now, or would closer schools be more interested in you after you have gotten back into the labor force?

Is this position something that will add meaning to your life?

Have you calculated how much the PT salary will pay, after calculating the extra gas and help you might need?

Some schools require regular staff meetings, teacher workshops, extra duties. Others are just the stated classroom hours. Do you know the school culture here?

amother
Lightblue

Post Thu, Jul 21 2022, 7:50 am
do people seriously work less than 30 min commute from home?
all my friends commute!

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Jul 21 2022, 7:53 am
I think you should try to find something closer to home.
Unless you love driving. I know that if find it too stressful, and time consuming.

amother
Lightpink

Post Thu, Jul 21 2022, 7:58 am
If I was going back to work after years of being a SAHM, I would not start with being a teacher. Teaching is so draining and requires so much work at home.
I also would not commute.
I would try to find a light office job

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 21 2022, 8:18 am
amother [ Lightpink ] wrote:
If I was going back to work after years of being a SAHM, I would not start with being a teacher. Teaching is so draining and requires so much work at home.
I also would not commute.
I would try to find a light office job

I love teaching. I would honestly be miserable behind a desk.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jul 21 2022, 9:06 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
B'H we don't need the money. But yes, I've had the desire to do something lately.

Schools need good teachers. I'm glad you're answering your calling.
This will be a transition. You might need more help, cleaning, take out, other shortcuts. Is there enough money to cover that so things will still go smoothly at home? I'm inclined to say go for it. Hatzlacha!

ETA: Make sure you love and like all the kids! However long it takes.

amother
Fern

Post Thu, Jul 21 2022, 9:45 am
If the idea excites you and gives you energy even if you're a little nervous why not take the plunge
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics