Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Beauty in the Torah
Previous  1  2

Aurora

Post Thu, Jul 21 2022, 12:24 pm
Can't remember who said it, but I remember learning that the parts of Shemot where they start building the mishkan is really the first time you see aesthetics as a value in Tanakh.

Rubies

Post Thu, Jul 21 2022, 12:33 pm
advocate wrote:
Rabbi Yochanan would go and sit by the entrance to the ritual bath. He said to himself: When Jewish women come up from their immersion [after their menstruation,] they should see me first so that they have beautiful children like me

Brachos 20b

Interesting!
That would never fly nowadays.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Thu, Jul 21 2022, 12:36 pm
amother [ Sand ] wrote:
What I understood Yafes's bracha to be, based on what I have read, was not literally being physically beautiful but having an appreciation for, producing, and valuing beauty--I.e. Greek art and philosophy, Roman architecture etc.
(As far as Germans/Europeans being the most beautiful people, that's based on modern construct, valuing blond hair, fair skin above all else, ironically buying into the Aryan idea of ideal beauty. Not everyone agrees with that.)

European blondeness and beauty is referred to when Rashi mentions that Yosef was beautiful
like a גרמני.
Yosef is in many ways parallel to Esav according to the Sfas Emes. (in kabala there is the concept that everything that happens in our galus has a parallel in Jewish and non-Jewish world.

human beings have the capacity to turn every beautiful or good thing in this world into ugliness or evil. The Aryans have done just that.

advocate

Post Thu, Jul 21 2022, 12:37 pm
I believe Yafes is associated with Greece.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Thu, Jul 21 2022, 2:07 pm
שקר החן והבל היופי
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics