Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
No toys (almost) what do kids do-update pg 6
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother
IndianRed

Post Fri, Jul 08 2022, 11:25 am
imaima wrote:
She has 4 children to clean up all the mess, not just one.

yes that's what I meant, sorry if it wasn't clear. her point is just to be mindful of how long it would take you to clean everything up and that it should be realistic to clean up ALL the toys in a timeframe that is realistic for you. This way the kids can play with a variety of toys together but there isn't so much of any one type of toy that it gets to totally overwhelming. so one building toy bin, one play people toy bin, one play food bin...

Puzzles, playdough... were kept separate.

amother
Latte

Post Fri, Jul 08 2022, 12:36 pm
Activities I remember enjoying at that age are loom thread, lanyard, friendship bracelets, sewing, puzzles, activity books (word search, mazes, connect the dots), puzzles, stickers art.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jul 08 2022, 1:00 pm
One person games for her look at brand Think fun
Things like Rush Hour (maybe the junior version), Hoppers, Clever Castle, etc

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 08 2022, 1:21 pm
Thanks for ALL the ideas! Right now I have 14 things on my Amazon wish list to be ordered one after each other Smile also planning to buy some more balls and a hoola hoop. She got into her bike last day or two and really enjoying it. She actually didn't want to play with her toys all day yesterday (biked, baked and did chalk with a friend).

I really appreciate all the ideas. Super helpful.. She is a creative so the logic games not so much her thing but found a lot of artsy things for her and physical things. Even found a scavenger hunt game!

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 3:04 pm
A few more ideas in case they were not mentioned previously:

Kinetic Sand. My kids have a bakery play set and they love it.

Slip and Slide. Not so much fun by yourself, but if you can invite a friend or neighbor over, it can keep them occupied for hours.

Melissa & Doug Reusable Sticker Pads. I would suggest only taking out one at a time because it gets super annoying to clean up if you need to figure out which stickers go in which book, but they really are quite entertaining, especially the Play House.

Does your daughter have a doll house? Definitely easier to clean than magnatiles or other toys with lots of pieces because everything stays in the house or can easily be placed back in.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 21 2022, 9:07 pm
Update:

So I tried having her clean up her toys because she promised and seemed ok with it. But then when it came down to it she gave me a very hard time. It was stressful for both of us and after a week I decided to just put some toys away. I put away the magna tiles and then she asked for it so I told her to play with it only in a certain spot in her room which is out of the way. So far so good.

Today I was talking to my mother about the doll and imaginary play situation. She really encouraged me to halve all her doll stuff and put it away and the rest keep in an oversized bin. Just one bin and that is all she plays with when she plays house. And to take it away for a day if she doesn't clean it up. The idea being that one bin with a limited amount of things is easy to clean up. She was very ok and happy with this idea. I feel a bit free. I also put away some doll carriages, doll carriers, and some of her Playmobil.

I bought her a hoola hoop which she loves. Other things I bought her didn't go over so well. But I will keep trying! I have been encouraging her a lot to ride her bike and jump rope and she is very proud of her improved skills!

All together I'm really proud of myself for paring down some of her toys because that is a hard time for me to do, softie that I am, and for being able to make this work for our family.

Right now she has out:

Playstix
Magna tiles
Clics
Dolls stuff in a bin
Playmobil
2 buckets of doll house stuff
Little Lego sets
Bucket of mentchies
A few toy cars
Books
Games,puzzles
Scooter, bike, jump rope, hoola hoop
Chalk and bubbles
Bucket of activity books
Markers, crayons, scissors
Play dough
Modeling clay

I could/should probably put away all of her Playmobil and doll house stuff.. One day 🙂

amother
IndianRed

Post Thu, Jul 21 2022, 9:26 pm
good job op! can I suggest you leave out clics, playstix or magnatiles but not all three. I find playstix makes a mess but that might just be me.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 21 2022, 11:19 pm
amother [ IndianRed ] wrote:
good job op! can I suggest you leave out clics, playstix or magnatiles but not all three. I find playstix makes a mess but that might just be me.

Will consider. I know what you mean. Once the item breaks the pieces are all over. I do find clics is least messy but the magna tiles as long as it's in one corner she uses it sort of like a doll house that could be anything so as long as it's out of the way. I find more that she has too many mentchies/Playmobil/doll house accessories. If I were to count it all it would be in the hundreds.

amother
IndianRed

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 8:30 am
maybe try reducing the metchies, playmobile.... tell her it's just a trial, if there's anything that's not out that she wants she can let you know and you'll take it out. that does sound incredibly overwhelming.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 8:34 am
amother [ IndianRed ] wrote:
maybe try reducing the metchies, playmobile.... tell her it's just a trial, if there's anything that's not out that she wants she can let you know and you'll take it out. that does sound incredibly overwhelming.

When I suggested she was very upset. I told her that we should maybe leave out only 10 mentchies and put rest away. She would not hear it.

I don't think I should be having discussions or negotiating. That's what I'm realizing. I just need to do it. And act confident and she will live. Easier says than done!

imaima

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 8:39 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Update:

So I tried having her clean up her toys because she promised and seemed ok with it. But then when it came down to it she gave me a very hard time. It was stressful for both of us and after a week I decided to just put some toys away. I put away the magna tiles and then she asked for it so I told her to play with it only in a certain spot in her room which is out of the way. So far so good.

Today I was talking to my mother about the doll and imaginary play situation. She really encouraged me to halve all her doll stuff and put it away and the rest keep in an oversized bin. Just one bin and that is all she plays with when she plays house. And to take it away for a day if she doesn't clean it up. The idea being that one bin with a limited amount of things is easy to clean up. She was very ok and happy with this idea. I feel a bit free. I also put away some doll carriages, doll carriers, and some of her Playmobil.

I bought her a hoola hoop which she loves. Other things I bought her didn't go over so well. But I will keep trying! I have been encouraging her a lot to ride her bike and jump rope and she is very proud of her improved skills!

All together I'm really proud of myself for paring down some of her toys because that is a hard time for me to do, softie that I am, and for being able to make this work for our family.

Right now she has out:

Playstix
Magna tiles
Clics
Dolls stuff in a bin
Playmobil
2 buckets of doll house stuff
Little Lego sets
Bucket of mentchies
A few toy cars
Books
Games,puzzles
Scooter, bike, jump rope, hoola hoop
Chalk and bubbles
Bucket of activity books
Markers, crayons, scissors
Play dough
Modeling clay

I could/should probably put away all of her Playmobil and doll house stuff.. One day 🙂

Have you tried to do hoola hoop and bicycle yourself? Or go with her together? They love it when you don’t just tell them what to do, but when you are actually just as inspired by activities and then they join you.

amother
IndianRed

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 8:39 am
maybe tell her that anything that doesn't get cleaned up gets put away, you aren't upset, it's just clearly too much so she gets to decide what she wants to clean up? no hard time. you can take everything else away when she's sleeping. I agree better not to get in a power struggle. I really feel for you but you'll figure it out.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 9:03 am
imaima wrote:
Have you tried to do hoola hoop and bicycle yourself? Or go with her together? They love it when you don’t just tell them what to do, but when you are actually just as inspired by activities and then they join you.

Who can resist a hoola hoop?! 😄
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics