Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
ISO doona asap
Previous  1  2

amother
Cornsilk

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 9:45 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
I get graco. It’s like $100 and very well rated for safety

Seriously. A doona lasts for a few months if you are using it correctly. A Graco travel system, or the regular graco snap n'go, which sells for very little, is just as good as a doona and hundreds of dollars cheaper. After the first few months, you need to use a different car seat anyway.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 9:50 am
amother [ Cornsilk ] wrote:
Seriously. A doona lasts for a few months if you are using it correctly. A Graco travel system, or the regular graco snap n'go, which sells for very little, is just as good as a doona and hundreds of dollars cheaper. After the first few months, you need to use a different car seat anyway.

Not helpful. Op is looking for a doona.

I got mine 5 years ago for $450 - those were the days- and used it for 2 kids. I got new padding and hood as a gift from my sisters after my second child. Recently sold it for $200 (no accidents). I was very transparent and told the woman that according to the handbook it needs to be replaced every 6 years and that’s why I was selling it. I guess I’m saying that if there’sa way to afford it they have good resell value.

Sorry op, wish I knew someone selling, I’ll keep my eyes open.

sunshine23

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 10:04 am
Op pm me I know someone selling in Brooklyn for 200

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 10:09 am

My mom actually won a Doona in a Chinese auction (intended for me) but I declined. She sold it for decent money!

amother
Snow

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 10:12 am

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 10:22 am

A doona, plus the base have made the first year or so of both my youngest lives SO much easier. You can not compare to a regular car seat.

I bought the base 2nd hand, sold it for exactly what I bought it for. For my baby now I managed to borrow the base from my cousin.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 10:26 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
A doona, plus the base have made the first year or so of both my youngest lives SO much easier. You can not compare to a regular car seat.

I bought the base 2nd hand, sold it for exactly what I bought it for. For my baby now I managed to borrow the base from my cousin.

Yup and some people have small babies. My 16 month old wears 6-9 months and still sits very comfortably in the Doona. I also got mine for $400 brand new on sale a couple years ago.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 10:29 am
Why in heavens name would anyone put their precious cargo, their most prized possession, their baby-- in something that may not protect them?!? A used car seat if you dont know and trust the owner may not protect your baby!
You cant see the internal damage.
It is not just a car accident that you have to worry about but if they washed it according to directions (straps can weaken in the wrong method and break in an accident). Or if they didnt follow the guidelines, wacked the car seat as they carried it up steps... can anyone say their stroller (in this case doona) never bumps into things, gets hit by a kid on a scooter, or is treated roughly?!?

My baby is way too precious to me. I dont buy used car seats. I dont use expired seats. We use Graco, Chicco etc. Excellent and safe brands. Who cares they are not a Doona?

Why?!? Why do moms do this?!?
For the sake of fashion? Your baby doesn't know and doesnt care! So it is for your sake... and I just dont get it.
A graco or chicco car seat is just as safe than any other new seat. Safer than any used car seat. And add in the travel system or a snap and go and it is super convenient (you even get a basket which the doona does not!!).

I had a major tire blow out on the expressway recently. Very scary and I am shocked we didnt get hit or hit another car.
Looking at the back at my infant and other kids in their "never been in an accident" car seats and boosters--- I was glad to know they were safe. Because that is what matters.

scintilla

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 10:33 am
This is not fair to OP. If you have your opinions on doonas that's fine but no need to put them on a thread that wasn't looking for it. Many people have valid reasons for wanting a doona besides fashion (?? Come on people they ain't THAT pretty) and it's not anyone else's business. OP is asking for help finding one, not if she should be looking.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 10:36 am
scintilla wrote:
This is not fair to OP. If you have your opinions on doonas that's fine but no need to put them on a thread that wasn't looking for it. Many people have valid reasons for wanting a doona besides fashion (?? Come on people they ain't THAT pretty) and it's not anyone else's business. OP is asking for help finding one, not if she should be looking.

Yeah I’m not sure why people keep calling them fashion items. They’re great for convenience not fashion. While it’s not the worst thing not to have one, snap n go’s or travel systems don’t compare at all when it comes to convenience. I’ve done it both ways.

amother
Seablue

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 11:16 am
scintilla wrote:

It’s important to educate people about car seat safety. in our grandparents days, babies used to ride without anything. In more recent years, car seats were “convenient places to put your baby.”
Nowadays, car seats are crash tested and really intended to save a baby’s life in a crash. (Babies are more fragile than adults, they need more protection in a crash.)
Buying a brand new $100 car seat is a lot safer than a used doona. Did you know that Lysol or disinfectant wipes have strong chemicals and break down the car seat? So if anyone ever wiped their car seat with Lysol wipes, it’s not as strong and protective as it used to be.
So it worries me to read these threads and see how people are unknowingly compromising their baby’s safety. Obviously not on purpose, but they need to be educated so they can make the right choice.
To the posters who say that doonas are life changing, I fail to see what’s so difficult to taking your stroller out of the trunk and putting the car seat on adapters. It takes an extra second. And then you get better wheels than a doona and your basket storage.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 11:25 am
scintilla wrote:

OP is making reckless decisions about health and safety. Would you be answering the same if I posted I wanted to let my kid sit in the trunk of my minivan on a highway "because I had reasons"? Would you say anyone is unfair trying to tell me I am being unsafe?

She cannot afford a doona. She wants one but wont say why she *must* have this car seat and will put her kid at risk with using a used one.
We are warning her it is unsafe.
People have offered up viable alternatives that are just as convenient (I like my snap and go so much!! So convenient, compact and has a basket!!) So that she doesnt put her kid at risk. With more information we can try to fine tune suggestions to meet her needs without compromising safety.

amother
Red

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 11:25 am
1) Doona is not a fashion item. The yellow wheels… it’s so ugly
2) people want it because it works. I have doona I got for 400$ on sale a few years ago and for my lifestyle it is a necessity.
3) I’m sure OP (or anyone buying 2nd hand car seat) can do her own research and ask her own pediatrician. She asked about available doona for sale and not for “any information or misinformation out there on buying car seat second hand”.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 11:27 am
Seriously - why is everyone jumping on OP?
She wants a Doona and is willing to buy it second hand from a frum Jew who will be honest about if it was in an accident, that's perfectly safe!
For some people a Doona is much much easier to use especially if they take taxis often and don't have to bring along another item such as a snap n go.

amother
Diamond

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 11:29 am
amother [ Ghostwhite ] wrote:
Seriously - why is everyone jumping on OP?
She wants a Doona and is willing to buy it second hand from a frum Jew who will be honest about if it was in an accident, that's perfectly safe!
For some people a Doona is much much easier to use especially if they take taxis often and don't have to bring along another item such as a snap n go.

Many taxi's don't allow the doona in the car because the wheels make the seat dirty.

amother
Red

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 11:33 am
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
OP is making reckless decisions about health and safety. Would you be answering the same if I posted I wanted to let my kid sit in the trunk of my minivan on a highway "because I had reasons"? Would you say anyone is unfair trying to tell me I am being unsafe?

She cannot afford a doona. She wants one but wont say why she *must* have this car seat and will put her kid at risk with using a used one.
We are warning her it is unsafe.
People have offered up viable alternatives that are just as convenient (I like my snap and go so much!! So convenient, compact and has a basket!!) So that she doesnt put her kid at risk. With more information we can try to fine tune suggestions to meet her needs without compromising safety.

Start a new thread about “second hand car seat safety” Can't Believe It

Also, someone else already mentioned on this thread… why do people keep sharing option when not asked

amother
Diamond

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 11:42 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:
1) Doona is not a fashion item. The yellow wheels… it’s so ugly
2) people want it because it works. I have doona I got for 400$ on sale a few years ago and for my lifestyle it is a necessity.
3) I’m sure OP (or anyone buying 2nd hand car seat) can do her own research and ask her own pediatrician. She asked about available doona for sale and not for “any information or misinformation out there on buying car seat second hand”.

Maybe in your community, a doona is not a fashion item. But in many communities it is. People that rarely travel anywhere by car, use it as their regular stroller. In certain communities, it's "nebby" to not have a doona. It comes together with the baby. In those communities, women wouldn't be caught dead pushing a snap n go.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics