Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
I NEED YOU
Previous  1  2

chaylizi

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 10:29 pm
a babysitting organization is a great idea

Last edited by chaylizi on Tue, Mar 25 2008, 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

MahPitom

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 10:35 pm
I’m sure anybody who has been through a crisis has been getting food from Chai Lifeline. I can personally speak about the food situation. Have you ever tried giving a child takeout food for weeks on end?

I am dreaming of an organization that makes only 5 foods: Chicken, lokshen, farfel, mashed potatoes, blintzes, and French Toast. Nothing more. I don’t see why children need Fancy stuffed chicken with green beans & walnuts, Orzo with sautéed vegetables, squash soup… you get my drift?

It can be the biggest mitzva for families that are desperate.

MahPitom

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 10:50 pm
Another vote for babysitting. Even if it’s a teenager who takes the little ones off the bus, that can be a huge change in someone’s schedule if they don’t ant to farm the kids out yet again. The toll-free number for the organization can be the person’s initials with the word LIFE in it!

flowerpower

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 12:44 pm
what about a fun room, a basement with games and computers and fun stuff to do that will give siblings and even sick kids some time to make them happy?

MahPitom

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 12:46 pm
That’s the Ronald McDonalds house, near major hospitals. It’s amazing.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 12:59 pm
amother wrote:
Honestly, as a mother of a sick child I can tell you that B"H, there are loads of resources out there. Between Chai Lifeline, Mekimi, Ben Ish, and Hands On For Children, it's really all covered. However, the one area that is not covered, is babysitting for the siblings while parents are at treatment, appointments, inpatient hospitalizations, and/or out of town. Siblings are then thrown around each time someplace else which cause instability of the home for the child [-sibling]. If there could be an official babysitting service in the home, where the organization finds the girl/woman and arranging it - pays for it - and figures out the details, that would be amazing.

Another mother of a sick child and ITA with this!

amother

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 1:17 pm
All too often the siblings of the sick or the children of the sick get left out and need help trying to be normal. This happens out of town too. While it is nice and commendable the obvious town of the honored, what about the people out of new york who also need this desparate attention.

square_peg

Post Mon, May 19 2008, 6:29 pm
amother wrote:
All too often the siblings of the sick or the children of the sick get left out and need help trying to be normal. This happens out of town too. While it is nice and commendable the obvious town of the honored, what about the people out of new york who also need this desparate attention.
babysitting is something that can be done globally. The person heading this endeavor has to start where they are.

However, it would be awesome if they can then network and get volunteers from out-of-ny area for steady babysitters, high school girls that are willing to do this etc.

Mommy007

Post Mon, May 19 2008, 9:40 pm
I have to agree with the majority and go for the babysitting. What a great suggestion. I am sure you can talk to local high schools and girls would love to help. I think its a fab. idea. Hatzlacha.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics