Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Negative PCRs but Sore Throat and Fever
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 24 2022, 8:00 am
My dh, ds and I all have COVID, two of my daughters have sore throats and fevers with two negative PCRs. They haven't been exposed to anyone else in the last few weeks (I caught COVID in the ER). I have two questions:

1. Has anyone had the situation of multiple false negative PCRs?

2. They've tried all the recommended remedies for sore throats, but nothing works. Are there any kosher sore throat sprays or lozenges which will numb their throats?

I'm going to send them for strep tests today, just in case. The whole situation seems too coincidental to have COVID and strep in the home at once.

Thanks!

amother
Stonewash

Post Sun, Jul 24 2022, 8:23 am
It could be Covid and strep in your house, or just the Covid test didn’t pick up on Covid. Test for strep because that is an easy fix .
Feel better!

amother
Nasturtium

Post Sun, Jul 24 2022, 8:30 am
Zand throat spray is soothing and healing. Plus take echinacea 2 3x day or 3 2x day.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 24 2022, 9:25 am
I don't see a hechsher on the Zand Throat Spray. Is it listed somewhere?

amother
Oldlace

Post Sun, Jul 24 2022, 9:47 am
It is not that uncommon for someone in the same household with proven COVID cases to test negative on the home tests.

I had read an article in which a medical doctor described her experience a few months ago. Her family (kids and husband) tested positive. She tested herself a few times a day for several days and only tested positive once during that period. I cite her example because she obviously was performing the test correctly. Her theory was that her viral load was low and intermittent and perhaps not situated in the nose versus the lungs.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 24 2022, 10:57 am
They had PCRs - not home tests.

shnitzel

Post Sun, Jul 24 2022, 11:09 am
Yes. I have a family member whose son tested negative on PCRs twice while he had symptomatic covid. He only got a positive on a rapid on day 8 and by then he was feeling a lot better.

amother
Dimgray

Post Sun, Jul 24 2022, 11:12 am
What's the point of knowing if he has covid? What will you be doing differently?

amother
Phlox

Post Sun, Jul 24 2022, 11:53 am
amother [ Dimgray ] wrote:
What's the point of knowing if he has covid? What will you be doing differently?

If I knew someone had covid I wouldn't bother doing a strep test. I use different supplements to treat covid than I do to treat a sore throat due to a cold. Just a couple of examples..

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 24 2022, 12:19 pm
MY dh, ds and I are in isolation - we have no contact with the rest of the family since we have confirmed COVID. The others are in quarantine. If they have COVID, they need to come into isolation with us, but only if they're positive. It also affects when they and others can come out of isolation / quarantine. We're following the CDC guidelines.

amother
Bellflower

Post Sun, Jul 24 2022, 12:21 pm
Both dd and I tested negative on pcr despite symptoms. Two days (and several negative rapids each) later for her and four days (and also some negative rapids) fir me we both tested positive. The false negative rates are crazy high!

amother
Dimgray

Post Sun, Jul 24 2022, 1:13 pm
Wow I didn't know people are still testing or even care about covid
I wouldn't treat a covid sore throat any different than a standard (non strep) throat. Tea, soup, ricola candy's....

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 24 2022, 1:29 pm
OK, never mind. We just did home tests and both dds are positive for COVID, not surprisingly. So much for the PCRs.

amother
Rainbow

Post Sun, Jul 24 2022, 1:38 pm
I mean covid is basically a flu now. So just treat symptoms. If sore throat I would double check strep and then just Tylenol salt water until better. Isolation? Quarantine.. I mean knock yourself out I guess…

amother
Phlox

Post Sun, Jul 24 2022, 1:42 pm
I wouldn't treat a covid sore throat any different than a standard (non strep) throat. Tea, soup, ricola candy's....

That's a shame. Different supplements help knock out different viruses. So you can get better more quickly if you know what you're treating.

cbsdbs

Post Sun, Jul 24 2022, 1:42 pm
You can try chloroseptic spray for sore throats. Numbs the mouth. Follow the directions on the back

amother
Bellflower

Post Sun, Jul 24 2022, 2:13 pm

You are taking an awful lot of achrayus on yourself. Even assuming that for MANY covid is milder now and not life threatening why would you encourage someone not to be careful? Do you want Chas v'shalom to be responsible for a tragedy w the small percentage for whom it is otherwise?

Unfollowing as soon as I send this so please don't bother to respond to me. But pretty please, imamothers do NOT give medical opinions.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 24 2022, 5:01 pm
cbsdbs wrote:
You can try chloroseptic spray for sore throats. Numbs the mouth. Follow the directions on the back

It's not Kosher - I managed to find a few spray which were kosher.

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Jul 24 2022, 5:26 pm

First of all, if it's not covid, I'd want to know if it's strep to make it's treated properly. There can be serious consequences to untreated strep. Hot tea may ease symptoms but it won't cure strep on its own. Think rheumatic fever, pandas, etc as possible consequences of untreated strep.

Second, if it's covid and not a cold, yes, we'd stay home until we get a negative test and make sure not to unknowingly come into contact with elderly or immunocompromised people. I'd do the same thing if I had the flu, btw.
I wouldn't worry for myself, but for those other vulnerable people.

amother
Candycane

Post Sun, Jul 24 2022, 5:31 pm
Benzydamine. It is prescription. It numbs the throat.
I tested negative for Covid but definitely had it. I know because I got all the same things after that I had the first time around.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics