Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
6th grade mother’s helper- for toddler

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 24 2022, 12:39 pm
There’s a 6th grader I want to hire to play with my toddler after her playgroup until I finish work for the day.
She would play with her in my house and keep her entertained. Give her a snack, take him to the park if there’s time. Maybe do an art project with her.
How much would make sense to pay for 2 hours each day Monday - Thursday?

amother
Gardenia

Post Sun, Jul 24 2022, 12:45 pm
I had a pair come, so it was more fun that they did it together (I also have 2 kids) and paid them each $5 for the 2 hours they were here each day

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Jul 24 2022, 12:47 pm
amother [ Gardenia ] wrote:
I had a pair come, so it was more fun that they did it together (I also have 2 kids) and paid them each $5 for the 2 hours they were here each day

I hope you paid them at least that for EACH of the two hours.

amother
Gardenia

Post Sun, Jul 24 2022, 1:26 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:

They actually volunteered- the pay was secondary.

amother
Milk

Post Sun, Jul 24 2022, 1:28 pm
I think around here babysitting is 8-10 for that age. But idk if it's different when it's something steady on an ongoing basis

amother
Tanzanite

Post Sun, Jul 24 2022, 1:29 pm
Quote:

Agree
My DD was offered a job as a mother's helper for $2 an hour. I gladly declined on her behalf. These girls are young, but they work HARD. Please don't take advantage
That's also a lot of time for a girl that age to spend with your kids day in day out. May be worth finding 2 girls to switch off days

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Jul 24 2022, 1:29 pm
I pay a 6th grader $8 an hour for babysitting a sleeping toddler. If toddler would be up and needed to be fed and entertained, I'd pay $10 an hour.

amother
Gardenia

Post Sun, Jul 24 2022, 1:31 pm
amother [ Tanzanite ] wrote:
Quote:

Agree
My DD was offered a job as a mother's helper for $2 an hour. I gladly declined on her behalf. These girls are young, but they work HARD. Please don't take advantage
That's also a lot of time for a girl that age to spend with your kids day in day out. May be worth finding 2 girls to switch off days

Should clarify- this wasn't every day, it was when the girls were bored after camp and felt like coming over

gr82no

Post Sun, Jul 24 2022, 1:40 pm
Are you going to be home? If yes then about 8$ an hour if not then 10$ an hour

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Jul 24 2022, 1:44 pm
amother [ Gardenia ] wrote:
Should clarify- this wasn't every day, it was when the girls were bored after camp and felt like coming over

I sometimes have bored neighbors knocking on my door asking if they can watch my baby. I don't pay them for it. I didn't ask for it. They go from door to door till they find a baby/toddler they can play with.

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Jul 24 2022, 1:44 pm
amother [ Milk ] wrote:
I think around here babysitting is 8-10 for that age. But idk if it's different when it's something steady on an ongoing basis

IME mother's helper (with a parent at home) gets paid much less than babysitting.

amother
Gardenia

Post Sun, Jul 24 2022, 1:47 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
I sometimes have bored neighbors knocking on my door asking if they can watch my baby. I don't pay them for it. I didn't ask for it. They go from door to door till they find a baby/toddler they can play with.

Yes, but they were coming so regularly and really helpful so I offered to pay them a bit if they really came and took responsibility for my kids while I did other stuff. It ensured I was their first stop when they were bored and it was a win win situation

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Jul 24 2022, 1:47 pm
My dd almost 12 was offered a job babysitting 2 children 18 months and 4 1/2 every morning while mother went to wok for 4 and half hours each day. Pay offered was $60/week!!
I thought it was too much responsibility for very little money!

amother
Firethorn

Post Sun, Jul 24 2022, 2:30 pm
Just to give a perspective.
My 16 year old was hired by a neighbor to pick up her 2 kids from their playgroups/babysitters (on the block) bring them home and play and entertain them. 1 1/2-2 hours a day. So a total of 7 1/2-10 hours a week and they paid her $120 a week.
In Lakewood
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics