Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Eggs smell / taste weird

Mameh Shaineh

Post Tue, Jul 26 2022, 4:50 pm
For a while now, eggs smell and taste weird to me and my daughter. I think it started before we had covid but I'm not sure, it might have started after. My daughter is more sensitive to it than I am so she basically never eats eggs anymore but she ate some at a friends house recently and said they didn't have the weird smell/taste. I'm trying to get to the bottom of this because we're trying to go low-carb so not being able to eat eggs is a real problem. The only thing I can think is that her friend lives in Lakewood and we're in Brooklyn so maybe the eggs are from different farms or wherever eggs come from LOL

If anyone can shed some light on this for me, I would really appreciate it.

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Jul 26 2022, 4:52 pm
Well if it started after the 'vid then it could definitely be parosmia. I think it can happen with any food. My sister had it bad for a long time, and it's starting to get a little better for some things.

mom25

Post Tue, Jul 26 2022, 4:54 pm
I couldn't eat eggs for a long time, lots of months after having covid. I dumped few dozen thinking it's not fresh till I realized it's me. Rook time to notice as all other foods were fine

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 26 2022, 4:56 pm
It's called parosmia and it's a side effect of covid. You can look it up.

Mameh Shaineh

Post Tue, Jul 26 2022, 4:59 pm
Yes, I've heard of parosmia. That's why I mentioned that it may have started before covid and that the eggs at my daughter's friend's house tasted fine.

BatyaEsther

Post Tue, Jul 26 2022, 5:06 pm
DD used to eat eggs daily, since Covid almost 2 years ago, she can’t/won’t eat them as they taste terrible.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 26 2022, 5:58 pm
Mameh Shaineh wrote:
Yes, I've heard of parosmia. That's why I mentioned that it may have started before covid and that the eggs at my daughter's friend's house tasted fine.

My relative in Lakewood is suffering the same, so it's not the eggs per se..
But something I've noticed is that the lighter the cooking, the less of a chance it will taste fowl. Something that's been browned vs something that was cooked on a lower flame for a shorter amount of time so it's still a lemon color will have less of that fowl parosmia taste.

Mameh Shaineh

Post Tue, Jul 26 2022, 8:33 pm
ra_mom wrote:
My relative in Lakewood is suffering the same, so it's not the eggs per se..
But something I've noticed is that the lighter the cooking, the less of a chance it will taste fowl. Something that's been browned vs something that was cooked on a lower flame for a shorter amount of time so it's still a lemon color will have less of that fowl parosmia taste.

Hmm, interesting. Maybe I'll try lightly scrambled eggs next time...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics