Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Please share your favorite Far Rockaway/Five Towns...
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 26 2022, 12:07 am
Moving soon and overwhelmed starting from scratch, please share if you can recommend your_____ and what you like/dislike about them:

Pediatrician

General adult doctor

Dentist - adult and/or pediatric

Orthodontist

Midwife/obgyn/women's health practice

Podiatrist (nothing too complicated, child has insoles for very flat feet)

Nutritionist/Dietician

Organizer/consultant for kitchen/home, preferably not high end cost

Many thanks for all your help!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 8:17 pm
Bump and also I forgot I also need an opthalmologist Can't Believe It

amother
Viola

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 8:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Moving soon and overwhelmed starting from scratch, please share if you can recommend your_____ and what you like/dislike about them:

Pediatrician- Dr Simai

General adult doctor- Dr Carrey

Dentist - adult and/or pediatric Dr Jedwab for adults, Dr Preminger for kids

Orthodontist- Dr Oppenheimer

Nutritionist/Dietician

Here are some recommendations. Hopefully someone else can help with the rest

amother
Butterscotch

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 8:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Pediatrician
Dr sperber
General adult doctor
Dr Samson
Dentist - adult and/or pediatric
Dr blobstein for kids dr stein for adults
Orthodontist

Dr Jacob, dr herman

Nutritionist/Dietician

Esther Kapnick

amother
Darkblue

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 8:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Pediatrician pediatric healthcare of Long Island

General adult doctor Dr. Zev Carey

Dentist - adult and/or pediatric pediatric dentistry of valley stream

Orthodontist haven’t used them yet, but will most likely also be using pediatric dentistry of valley stream

Midwife/obgyn/women's health practice Ira Bachman

Podiatrist (nothing too complicated, child has insoles for very flat feet) Daniel Mergi

Nutritionist/Dietician don’t have one

Organizer/consultant for kitchen/home, preferably not high end cost don’t have one

out-of-towner

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 8:41 pm
I used to live in the area, moved out a year ago. I will try to answer as best as I can:

Ped: I used Dr. Hylton Lightman in FR and I loved him and his practice, though I did find the other doctors NPs and PAs to be a bit of a revolving door. But he maintains a strong presence in his practice, and has extensive knowledge is super supportive and sweet! I had a different pediatrician that I had a bad experience with, you can PM me for more details.

GP: my husband liked Dr. Israel Samson. I preferred Arsenio Medical which I think is affiliated with Northwell now. I know that friends had a bad experience with Dr. Matteo Spira there but everyone else is good IMO (and I worked with them professionally as well and was impressed). I believe that they have a nutritionist on staff as well.

Dentist I have a relative out of state that I go to, so no experience there. Also no experience with orthodontist.

For OBGYN I used Dr. Ira Bachman and was happy with him, as is everyone I know who uses him. He is a non-alarmist, which was good for my hypochondriac self, and was supportive of my choice to deliver without an epidural.

For Podatry there's a Frum guy in FR who I know people use, Dr. Aryeh Schulman that people are happy with. However I also know of an amazing orthotist that may be able to help you.

For nutritionist, my DH uses someone who he still does telehealth with on a weekly basis. She takes insurance. I believe her name is Mandi J. Madowicz. I have also used Miriam Horowitz through early intervention when my son was underweight, but I don't know if she takes insurance.

No idea about an organizer or ophthalmologist. Sorry!

amother
Wallflower

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 8:56 pm
I also moved away from the area about a year ago after living there for more than 2 decades,

I second Dr Lightman for pediatrician,
Arsenio Medical for PCP,
Dr Hertz for podiatry, His orthotics are the best: I tried others,
Dr Griner for dentistry, Great for adults and kids!
Dr Feiner for opthalmology,

Good luck!

amother
Maize

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 9:00 pm
Organizer- Miriam muller , Reva Lieberman

amother
Snapdragon

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 9:11 pm
Pediatrician - Dr David Simai, but I don't know that he's taking new patients other than newborns....

OB- Dr Ira Bachman- He is a great doctor and I love South Nassau's maternity ward, which is where he delivers

Dentist- adults: Dr Alina Bergan, kids: Dr Yehuda Marciano

amother
Snapdragon

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 9:14 pm
Dr Samson was recommended on this thread as a general adult doctor. I personally had a concerning experience with him. He prescribed the wrong antibiotic for a urinary tract infection (an antibiotic that doesn't treat UTI- Amoxil) and things kinda went sideways for me since my infection was continuing to grow. B"H the mistake was later caught so all is well. Don't take Amoxil for a UTI, guys! Anyway, he's a nice guy and all, and mistakes can happen to anyone.... But I'm just sharing my experience.

I would recommend Dr Zev Carrey as a general adult doctor.

amother
Honey

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 9:47 pm
I use and am happy with:

Pediatrician - Dr. Lightman

Dentist adult and children Dr. Samet

Orthodontist - Dr. Rubin

OBGYN - Dr. Bachman

Eye doctor - Dr. Namdar who took over Dr. Schorr’s a”h practice. I’ve also used Dr. Stein in Woodmere

amother
Springgreen

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 10:16 pm
I left dy lightmans practice. hes very pro vax and wont let you space it. but hes a great diagnostician. sent us straight to the emergency room to do some tests for my baby
obgyn I heard great things about dr bachman
theres a lady that sells tights from her house- mrs kaminsky opposite tmm
kramer jewelers sells from her house also beautiful pieces (cz)

where are you moving from?

I like shopping in kol save and GG. frankels is convenient for when I need last minute pieces
a new person took over their meat department and its super clean

amother
Tomato

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 12:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Pediatrician
I also use Dr lightman, and agree with everything said about him so far. Although I waited to give varicella until I had to and he kvetched but didn't force me. I don't know why he's so well represented on this thread though, plenty of people use and are happy with other doctors. I think Dr simai is considered the most holistic, but only takes newborn or just moved in.

General adult doctor I use Dr. Rachel schwartz. She has the nicest bedside manner and no wait. everyone I know who uses her loves her.

Dentist - adult and/or pediatric for both I use Dr kaminer in Hewlett. Smiles by design. He uses laser instead of drills for most cavities.

Orthodontist Dr. Kleinrock in Hewlett. Office is very punctual. In and out.

Dr. Deborah breitman. Also for orthotics. But now I'm curious about the guy mentioned upthread.

Nutritionist/Dietician

Organizer/consultant for kitchen/home, preferably not highuptrend.

farm

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 1:41 am
amother [ Snapdragon ] wrote:
Dr Samson was recommended on this thread as a general adult doctor. I personally had a concerning experience with him. He prescribed the wrong antibiotic for a urinary tract infection (an antibiotic that doesn't treat UTI- Amoxil) and things kinda went sideways for me since my infection was continuing to grow. B"H the mistake was later caught so all is well. Don't take Amoxil for a UTI, guys! Anyway, he's a nice guy and all, and mistakes can happen to anyone.... But I'm just sharing my experience.

I would recommend Dr Zev Carrey as a general adult doctor.

That’s a little silly- it depends what organism is causing the UTI. There are some that are certainly treated with amoxicillin.

amother
Pansy

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 1:49 am
We also just moved here and it’s overwhelming not knowing anything- thanks for starting this - can I add to ask where the mikvahs are? And which ones are nicer?

amother
Honey

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 2:02 am
amother [ Pansy ] wrote:
We also just moved here and it’s overwhelming not knowing anything- thanks for starting this - can I add to ask where the mikvahs are? And which ones are nicer?

The Far Rockaway/Lawrence mikvah is next to Agudah. The entrance is at Reads Lane and Empire ave. It’s the only one I’ve used, but there are newer, fancier ones.

amother
Molasses

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 8:11 am
amother [ Pansy ] wrote:

The Grove Street Mikva is definitely nicer. I use the Far Rockaway one for Friday nights but otherwise I’ll drive out to Cedarhurst.

amother
Darkblue

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 8:19 am
amother [ Pansy ] wrote:

There is the Mikvah in FR that someone mentioned. I haven’t been there in about 7 years, so I can’t tell you what it looks like or what the Mikvah ladies are like or how much it costs. There is a Mikvah in belle harbour which a lot of FR women use, I’ve never been there but I heard it’s nice. There also a new-ish Mikvah in Inwood, again never been there. As someone else mentioned there is a Mikvah in cedarhurst, on grove, which is beautiful. That’s the one I go to. It $30, but I believe there are discounts available. I’ve only ever had good experiences there.
There is also a Mikvah on peninsula, in woodmere/Hewlett, but I’ve never been there either.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 8:49 am
farm wrote:
That’s a little silly- it depends what organism is causing the UTI. There are some that are certainly treated with amoxicillin.

What a silly comment.

The doctor himself noted that he made a mistake when he wrote me the prescription. It was not an intentional choice. Do you get it now? He had intended to prescribe something else. Do you follow?

Sure, Amoxil may work for certain strains, but amoxil is not generally prescribed for UTI because it is not broad enough. Generally, doctors do not wait to find out what the exact organism is before prescribing an antibiotic for a UTI. Therefore, they will prescribe a broad range antibiotic for treatment. From the internet: "Notably absent from the list of antibiotics prescribed for the treatment of UTIs is Amoxicillin. While very popular and useful in treating numerous other bacterial infections, urinary tract infections are not amongst the infections Amoxicillin is used for."

C'mon now. I rarely write negative reviews. I'm just sharing my experience about a mistake I dealt with and how it affected me. I got pretty sick as a result. B"H I was then given a super strong antibiotic and within a few days I was fine, but they were actually considering hospitalizing me for a minute there because of how bad the UTI had gotten. K? My bigger kids were sent away for a few days cuz I couldn't take care of them and I had to stop nursing my baby as a result. Cool with you? All because I was on the wrong antibiotic for a week.

amother
Calendula

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 9:12 am
I haven’t loved in far rock in a handful of years but here’s who I would recommend:

Pediatrician - Dr Simai
Adult Doc - Dr Carrey
OBGYN - Great Neck OBGYN group, Dr Rifkin is amazing. Saved my daughters life during labor/delivery and stayed extremely calm so I didn’t know until after!
Eye Doctor - I always used Dr. Shorr a”h, I heard the new lady who runs his practice is great Dr Namdar. She may be an optometrist rather than an ophthalmologist, so if that makes a difference to you definitely check into it.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries