Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Can you please be my mother?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 6:20 am
I grew up in a dysfunctional home. I have no one to ask.

DD is 9.5 and needs a bra already. She’s so young! She’ll still occasionally comes out of the bathroom naked.

How do I teach her privacy? When she goes away for a night or in daycamp she should be discreet with her underwear etc.

Please help me!

amother
Seablue

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 6:33 am
“Please put some clothes on before you exit the bathroom.”

For any younger children, start teaching them at age 5-6.

About underwear in camp I wouldn’t worry too much. It’s likely that she will follow the other girls’ lead. You can show her how to fold her pajamas over her underwear when she’s heading to the shower but I wouldn’t make much of a big deal of it.

amother
Brass

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 6:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I grew up in a dysfunctional home. I have no one to ask.

DD is 9.5 and needs a bra already. She’s so young! She’ll still occasionally comes out of the bathroom naked.

How do I teach her privacy? When she goes away for a night or in daycamp she should be discreet with her underwear etc.

Please help me!

CAN WE BE FRIENDS?
just posted about dd getting early period and not having mother to talk to. Grew up emotionally absent mother.. I feel I need such support that my daughter is entering adulthood. I'm still a child needing a mother

imaima

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 7:44 am
amother [ Brass ] wrote:
CAN WE BE FRIENDS?
just posted about dd getting early period and not having mother to talk to. Grew up emotionally absent mother.. I feel I need such support that my daughter is entering adulthood. I'm still a child needing a mother

Do you need your own mother to be present to explain period to your daughter?

I must say I didn’t grow up in the best of homes, but it doesn’t take much to say „You are becoming a woman and are going to bleed every month“.
The rest can be googled.

Coffee beanz

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 7:48 am
It can be very scary for kids having their body change. Both girls and boys. Puberty is not easy. I bought the American girl book about puberty for my daughter to read but discussed her period with her first and other changes such as hair growth etc. It is an ongoing conversation.

amother
Daffodil

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 7:53 am
amother [ Brass ] wrote:
CAN WE BE FRIENDS?

Me too please

amother
Lemonlime

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 8:08 am
Came on here to say
"You can do it"!!
I did!
I have period trauma and agonized and planned how to do it for my daughter for years!
Bh I did it right!
She recently got her period and was so cool and confident about the whole thing. She felt comfortable talking to me about it and I was so proud!
We can break this cycle!!

DustyDiamonds

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 8:45 am
Hugs!

I simply think about what my mother did, and do the opposite! With the exception of breathing!

Sending love💓

amother
Almond

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 9:08 am
My daughter wears a training bra, she's 8

amother
Oatmeal

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 10:50 pm
amother [ Lemonlime ] wrote:
Came on here to say
"You can do it"!!
I did!
I have period trauma and agonized and planned how to do it for my daughter for years!
Bh I did it right!
She recently got her period and was so cool and confident about the whole thing. She felt comfortable talking to me about it and I was so proud!
We can break this cycle!!

Any suggestions/info for us other imas per how you went about it successfully?
Tia Smile

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 11:05 pm
I have one question. I know this is becoming more common, although the exact reason is unknown (increase in fat in our diets, hormones in food we eat, environment, etc), but are any of these girls atypical. Such as high functioning autistic/aspegers? Because I have noticed many children who are on the spectrum go through puberty early. MY husband did, my mother did (although early in the 1960's is not the same age as today) and my cousin did (period at 10). My daughter is starting to develop at 11 but that's not considered early at all anymore. It's hard to change before everyone else though. It's one of the reasons I don't like mixing girls of different ages in one classroom. If not, ignore me. Just curious.

oneofakind

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 8:11 am
Privacy should be taught from an early age. From toilet training you start with teaching to close the bathroom door, close bedroom door when changing clothes etc. You teach and reinforce.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics