Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Crispy Wonton Chicken Salad

Amarante

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 1:33 pm
This was a lovely salad - the use of a large amount of fresh mint and cilantro was interesting although obviously one could use any greens.

For me it was essentially no-cook since I had some rotisserie chicken AND I finagled won ton strips from my favorite Chinese restaurant the last time we ate there.

Dressing is very good and could be used on any kind of chicken salad - like the kind that is used for chicken salad sandwiches which I am fond of.

Crispy Wonton Chicken Salad

By Eric Kim

* YIELD 2 to 4 servings
* TIME 20 minutes

This dynamic chicken salad, starring crispy strips of fried wonton wrappers, draws inspiration from the wonton chicken salad at the soup and salad buffet chain Sweet Tomatoes, as well as the American Chinese chicken salads that pervaded chain-restaurant menus throughout the 1990s and early 2000s. In a supporting role, letting the crispy wontons shine, is the punchy dressing of peach preserves, rice vinegar, sesame oil and chili powder. The dressing’s low oil content – plus the addition of mayonnaise, which helps create an emulsion – means the salad greens stay crunchy and keep for longer. For the chicken, you can use any leftover meat or tear pieces from a store-bought rotisserie bird.

INGREDIENTS

FOR THE DRESSING:

* 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
* 3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
* 2 tablespoons peach or apricot preserves (or Duck Sauce)
* 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
* 1 tablespoon soy sauce
* 1 teaspoon chili powder
* ½ teaspoon onion powder
* Salt

FOR THE SALAD:

* 8 ounces cooked chicken meat, torn into bite-size pieces (2 cups)
* 8 wonton wrappers (see Tip) - I got won ton strips from my Chinese restaurant when I went there
* Vegetable oil, for frying
* Salt
* 2 romaine hearts, coarsely chopped
* 4 scallions, coarsely chopped
* 1 packed cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves with tender stems
* 1 packed cup coarsely chopped fresh mint leaves

PREPARATION

1. Make the dressing: In a large bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sesame oil, peach preserves, mayonnaise, soy sauce, chili powder and onion powder, and season to taste with salt. 

2. Prepare the salad: Add the chicken to the dressing and toss.

3. To fry the wonton wrappers, cut the squares into 1/2-inch strips, then cut those strips in half crosswise to shorten them. In a medium saucepan, heat an inch of oil over medium to 350 degrees, or until a wonton strip immediately bubbles when added. Carefully add the wonton strips to the hot oil and, stirring constantly with a slotted spoon, fry until puffy and golden, 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Transfer the crispy wontons to a paper towel-lined plate and season with salt.

4. Assemble the salad: Add the chopped romaine, scallions, cilantro, mint and half of the fried wontons to the bowl with the dressed chicken, and toss to combine. Season with salt as needed. Top with the remaining fried wontons and serve immediately.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 7:51 pm
I used to make this "clone" of the Chinese Chicken Salad dressing from an Los Angeles restaurant.

It was very good to make a fast chicken salad for a sandwich and I would also sometimes make a chicken slaw kind of thing with cabbage, chicken and some mandarin orange segments if I was ambition.

1/2 cup mayonnaise
5 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and mix with an electric mixer until well-blended and sugar is dissolved. Chill.

Last edited by Amarante on Thu, Jul 28 2022, 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total

rache81

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 9:00 am
Looked like first ingredient is missing

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 9:06 am
Fixed it by adding mayonnaise

Thanks for pointing it out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics