Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Pay per hour for working women

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 3:08 pm
I'm a working lady working at the same office for the past 10 years.
I'm wondering what's the norm - how often can I ask for a raise?

And, on a different note, if I'm looking to switch, how much can I ask per hour, basing that I have 10 years experience with all basic office/sales work, with some specialties on the side

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 4:58 pm
There is a concept of supply and demand, and open markets in America - at will employment.

This means that your employer can pay you whatever he/she wants, and if you don’t like it, then you can switch jobs. But if you don’t want to switch jobs, because you hate change, or you are afraid of change, or your employer is 5 min from your house, or they give you off on Fridays and you think you won’t be able to find that elsewhere, then you are technically stuck.

Your employer wants you to be happy, assuming you are doing a good job, but he/she doesn’t really owe you anything other than the basic wage that other office worker women make in your area. The weird thing is, with inflation and all that, a new 20 year old who goes to a new job (similar to your job) might end up making more than you based on supply and demand at that time.

It’s really hard to deal with. I’m probably in a similar boat, I’m at the same company for 8 years and I do not want to switch. I just don’t. But I know that any raises are really at the mercy of my employer, and wages could be going up all around me.

amother
Heather

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 5:34 pm
Where are you located? Location determines the rate you can get.

amother
Wandflower

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 6:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm a working lady working at the same office for the past 10 years.
I'm wondering what's the norm - how often can I ask for a raise?

And, on a different note, if I'm looking to switch, how much can I ask per hour, basing that I have 10 years experience with all basic office/sales work, with some specialties on the side

What field are you in? Can you be more specific with your job description? Have you checked out glassdoor for the avg salary people are make in your field? Are you especially valuable to the company for any reason?
General rule of thumb is either the salary should make it worth your while or the benefits should. If non do, and your being paid under market value, start looking for a new job. You dont need to tell anybody at work until its a done deal.

amother
Blueberry

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 6:37 pm
Brooklyn and Lakewood around $30
Do you get paid Yom Tov and holiday? Insurance? Flexibility and avail to take a day off if you ever need? All that is worth money.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics