Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Can’t buy food gas tuition Lakewood
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 11:57 am
Everything is going up!! Food is so expensive. I have no money for food for shabbos!! It used to be $100 on Thursday for shabbos food. Now it’s for sure $200 for basics. We don’t buy take out or fancy salmon, meat, cakes or cookies. What should I do? We’re both working!! Gas went up tons. It’s $100 to fill up my minivan! Tuition went up for every kid and playgroup and babysitters. Just got a letter from lsta $260 for each kid. Can’t afford camp. I have 3 kids home going crazy. My big kids are working in camps. I can’t afford to take them to a fun place or even just for ice cream.

How is everyone doing this? It’s impossible
And don’t tell me not to have more kids. I need to buy food for the kids I have now

amother
Iris

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 12:06 pm
I'm so sorry. I don't have a practical solution, but I want to validate you that this inflation is real. It is not just you. We are all feeling it, and it is scary. We are in the middle of a war on Europe, involving major gas and energy exporters, that impacts our economy, a world wide heat wave and drought, and farmers cannot afford fertilizer and feed for animals....this is causing energy, gas, and food prices to soar.

Honestly, daven hard for your parnassah and family at this very difficult time for the world. I ask my husband every day how we Yidden go about our business pretending nothing is different than other summers. Why are we not make tehillim asifos? This is a very challenging time!

amother
Apple

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 12:11 pm
amother [ Iris ] wrote:
I'm so sorry. I don't have a practical solution, but I want to validate you that this inflation is real. It is not just you. We are all feeling it, and it is scary. We are in the middle of a war on Europe, involving major gas and energy exporters, that impacts our economy, a world wide heat wave and drought, and farmers cannot afford fertilizer and feed for animals....this is causing energy, gas, and food prices to soar.

Honestly, daven hard for your parnassah and family at this very difficult time for the world. I ask my husband every day how we Yidden go about our business pretending nothing is different than other summers. Why are we not make tehillim asifos? This is a very challenging time!

We are in a political, man made food shortage and it will get worse before it gets better so if you have space then start a little garden.

amother
Vanilla

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 12:15 pm
It's terrible. We are barely making it paycheck to paycheck and we have pretty high salaries! We should be comfortable and instead we need to count pennies in the supermarket. It's insane and depressing.

amother
Eggshell

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 12:17 pm
How much money do you bring in and how much do you spend?
In which places can you cut back?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 12:20 pm
Thank u I feel better I’m not the only one.
I do Daven and beg Hashem for more money but right now we’re really struggling.
My husband is trying to borrow a few hundred for gas and food. We can’t pay the bills

Bh we got a food box yesterday
How is everyone doing it??

penguin

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 12:42 pm
Can you qualify for Food Stamps? Tomchei Shabbos?

amother
Iris

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 12:45 pm
penguin wrote:
Can you qualify for Food Stamps? Tomchei Shabbos?

I think tomchei Shabbos might be very over extended right now...but it's worth a try. It might even be worth it to cut hours to qualify for food stamps.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 12:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank u I feel better I’m not the only one.
I do Daven and beg Hashem for more money but right now we’re really struggling.
My husband is trying to borrow a few hundred for gas and food. We can’t pay the bills

Bh we got a food box yesterday
How is everyone doing it??

It's sooo hard. I feel for you. I've been there. Don't look at others. There are so many factors at play in everyone's lives. Daven, daven, daven. Yeshuas Hashem can come in the blink of an eye. Hashem should send your yeshua so soon!

amother
Iris

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 12:48 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
It's sooo hard. I feel for you. I've been there. Don't look at others. There are so many factors at play in everyone's lives. Daven, daven, daven. Yeshuas Hashem can come in the blink of an eye. Hashem should send your yeshua so soon!

This is so true, pick a specific Tefillah and put all your energy once a day into davening for parnassah.

amother
Garnet

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 12:49 pm
I have a neighbor who's husband got his CDL and signed up at one of the bus companies for 2 routes every night and 6 routes every Sunday.
Depending on the exact amount, it came up to around $400-$500 a week. Or $1500-$2000 a month.
In Lakewood there's such a bus driver shortage, and they pay at least $30 an hour.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 12:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Everything is going up!! Food is so expensive. I have no money for food for shabbos!! It used to be $100 on Thursday for shabbos food. Now it’s for sure $200 for basics. We don’t buy take out or fancy salmon, meat, cakes or cookies. What should I do? We’re both working!! Gas went up tons. It’s $100 to fill up my minivan! Tuition went up for every kid and playgroup and babysitters. Just got a letter from lsta $260 for each kid. Can’t afford camp. I have 3 kids home going crazy. My big kids are working in camps. I can’t afford to take them to a fun place or even just for ice cream.

How is everyone doing this? It’s impossible
And don’t tell me not to have more kids. I need to buy food for the kids I have now

Do you have a cleaning lady?
If you do, seriously consider compltely eliminating her. You'll have thousands of dollars extra in your pocket per year!
What we do is, no cleaning lady, we divide up jobs, everyone pitches in, and we reward ourselves and the kids to fun treats (going out to ice cream, ice skating...)from our "cleaning lady fund". Little dollar ammounts, while overall we are saving an enormous ammount.
The kids are used to it by now and it works beautifully.

allgood

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 5:02 pm
OP, I feel for you! That must be really difficult.

The money part I was wondering if you feel up to breaking this up into various posts so different people can help you with whatever you feel you want help me- unless this was just to vent.

What stood out to me, aside for the money obviously, was the fact that right now your kids are at home and going crazy which in essence means you end up feeling really bad too. I was wondering if you wanted tips and ideas as to what you can do with them or nearby activities that are free?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 6:04 pm
amother [ Iris ] wrote:
I think tomchei Shabbos might be very over extended right now...but it's worth a try. It might even be worth it to cut hours to qualify for food stamps.

We got tomchei shabbos before pesach and shavous but can’t get every week. I guess we’re not poor enough. I guess we’ll get before succos but that’s a long way off

amother
Chestnut

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 7:35 pm
OP I would like to send you money to buy food for shabbos. If you're comfortable with that, please PM me with your zelle

Last edited by amother on Thu, Jul 28 2022, 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 8:22 pm
anon12 wrote:
OP I would like to send you money to buy food for shabbos. If you're comfortable with that, please PM me with your zelle

Wow you are so nice!! Thanks a million
I’m really desperate. I appreciate it so much
Hashem should give u nachas, simchas, and only bracha

amother
Hydrangea

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 8:27 pm
Op, there are multiple food box programs going on right now, that should really help out your food bill. The poster whose husband is driving bus routes gave you another great idea if your husband is able. There is such a huge need. And don’t look at anyone else, you never k ow what’s actually in their bank account. So sorry I feel for you life is obscenely expensive right now.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 9:10 pm
amother [ Hydrangea ] wrote:
Op, there are multiple food box programs going on right now, that should really help out your food bill. The poster whose husband is driving bus routes gave you another great idea if your husband is able. There is such a huge need. And don’t look at anyone else, you never k ow what’s actually in their bank account. So sorry I feel for you life is obscenely expensive right now.

I got a box. Am I allowed to get more than one? I thought one for each kid not getting in camp,
I canceled my cleaning lady for tomorrow.
My husband is not ready to be a bus driver right now. He’s working just not as much as before corona.

hayag1

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 9:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wow you are so nice!! Thanks a million
I’m really desperate. I appreciate it so much
Hashem should give u nachas, simchas, and only bracha

I would like to as well, if you send your zelle info

fiji

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 9:19 pm
Please pm me as well. I’d like to zelle you also.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics