Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Quartz backsplash and oven/range

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 10:34 pm
I’m renovating kitchen and just came across a post on houzz about gas range scorching the quartz backsplash. Is this true? What do people do? Was putting in an expensive range. Now I’m stuck and confused on what to do.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 10:47 pm
Can you link to that?

Yes, engineered quartz can scorch — it's not the quartz, it's the resin fillers. If your high-powered range has a back that goes up several inches (not island-style) I don't think that could happen.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 11:07 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Can you link to that?

Yes, engineered quartz can scorch — it's not the quartz, it's the resin fillers. If your high-powered range has a back that goes up several inches (not island-style) I don't think that could happen.

https://www.houzz.com/discussi.....range

The range I’m looking at is island style. Would totally change the look to add the back trim. It’s interesting not one person mentioned not the kitchen designer, stone place, appliance store is it not common? Is it more uncommon and I’m just looking at 1% chance. I’m looking at the 100s of kitchen with flat range back ranges against quartz, marble, stone etc. Unless they’re all duel fuel. I think duel fuel doesn’t get as hot.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 11:58 pm
It also depends on the range because some of them don’t heat up because of the way their vents are configured.

But you should really post on houzz because there is very specific advice regarding how to avoid it.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 12:21 am
Amarante wrote:
It also depends on the range because some of them don’t heat up because of the way their vents are configured.

But you should really post on houzz because there is very specific advice regarding how to avoid it.

Yes I searched those forums, I see the advice they give is to add this tall stainless backing which ruins the look it makes it look like a cheaper style range. Just wondering what everyone here does because so many ppl do a range with quartz backsplash.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 12:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes I searched those forums, I see the advice they give is to add this tall stainless backing which ruins the look it makes it look like a cheaper style range. Just wondering what everyone here does because so many ppl do a range with quartz backsplash.

When I read the houzz threads it seemed like it could be done but not with every range and also you have to follow the installation instructions.

That is why you should start a thread on houzz and ask specifically especially if you have a range picked out. I didn’t go with it so I don’t remember the specifics.

Also if you have an island how how do you have a backsplash since islands don’t have walls. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Also I wouid rely on the knowledge base of imamothers in terms of very technical stuff like how to safely have a quartz backsplash. I think people do all kinds of mistakes when they build or remodel don’t know what they don’t know. I had no idea what was involved in building a tiled shower so that it was waterproof and drained properly without learning about it on houzz so I could make sure it was done properly.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 8:29 am
The trim is called an island trim but oven doesn’t go on the island. Just means there’s a short vent in back instead of a high back vent that the lower end models have.

Was basically looking to hear from the ppl on here who have quartz behind oven and if they find it got burned???

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 9:34 am
OP, what brand is the range? Have you considered asking the range manufacturer how hot it gets? It seems that temperatures over 200° F can damage engineered quartz.

I just read the warranty for Cambria, which is considered the best engineered stone, and they do not warrant heat damage. Link: https://cambriausa.widen.net/s/pxzbwvn65j

I have never run into anyone saying their quartz backsplash was damaged by heat, but very few of my clients (maybe none!) have the combination of an island-style high powered gas range against a wall and an engineered quartz backsplash behind it.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 9:37 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

The high stainless backs do not look cheap. Link: https://www.bluestarcooking.co.....uard/

amother
Ballota

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 9:37 am
I have a wolf oven with a quartz backsplash and so far so good

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 9:38 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
OP, what brand is the range? Have you considered asking the range manufacturer how hot it gets? It seems that temperatures over 200° F can damage engineered quartz.

I just read the warranty for Cambria, which is considered the best engineered stone, and they do not warrant heat damage. Link: https://cambriausa.widen.net/s/pxzbwvn65j

I have never run into anyone saying their quartz backsplash was damaged by heat, but very few of my clients (maybe none!) have the combination of an island-style high powered gas range against a wall and an engineered quartz backsplash behind it.

Thermador it says to put a backguard.

What do your clients put behind the oven as a backsplash?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 9:44 am
amother [ Ballota ] wrote:
I have a wolf oven with a quartz backsplash and so far so good

Duel fuel or all gas?

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 9:44 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thermador it says to put a backguard.

What do your clients put behind the oven as a backsplash?

Usually tile. But the majority of my clients do not purchase high end ranges.

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 9:51 am
Just another point- quarts, quartzite, marble etc- are 1 inch thick. Using them as a backsplash means you lose counter-space.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 10:10 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Just another point- quarts, quartzite, marble etc- are 1 inch thick. Using them as a backsplash means you lose counter-space.

That isn't an issue in a well designed kitchen as the lower cabinets can be pulled forward a bit.

My lower cabinets are pulled forward a small amount by the counter depth refrigerator so that the refrigerator extends out only as much as necessary to open correctly to mimic the look of an integrated refrigerator so that side of the cabinets has a bit more depth.

OP - if you have the manufacturer's specifications then you would need to follow those as appliances need to be installed per manufacturer's specifications so warranties aren't voided.

Also it really isn't helpful to find out whether anyone in a small random sample has experienced an issue. For example, any kind of stone - granite or marble can crack if subjected to an extreme heat fluctuation - I.e. if you put a hot pot on a cold counter. It doesn't happen all the time but it does happen. So the best practice is to use a trivet of some kind and completely eliminate the risk.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics