Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Is it better to publish a novel in a magazine or as a book?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 10:28 am
A teen novel. What are the differences & pros and cons of each? TIA.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 10:33 am
I am not an author, but my unprofessional opinion is:
Magazine pros:
Much wider audience
Much more attention

Book pros:
Easier to get accepted by a publishing house than a magazine

shaqued_almond

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 11:04 am
There's a few things to consider.
1) serials should be mostly completed once you apply to magazines and for books they should definitely be completed
2) if you're going through a Jewish publisher they might have content and other (like word count) requirements that you have to comply with. It's best to contact them for more info
3) YA secular publishers have a lot of authors authors who want to get published and are therefore highly selective.
4) you could also self publish with Amazon

Goody2shoes

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 11:18 am
I'm not an author but I do have an opinion. While a magazine might get you more readers, if you ever do want to put it out as a novel half those readers won't buy it because they read it already. Or their mother/sister/neighbor/ friend thinks it's a waste of money cuz they follows and it was silly.
Think book is the safer

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 11:36 am
For a new author? Definitely magazine.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 11:38 am
I made a lot more money by publishing a novel as a serial than by publishing a book.

shaqued_almond

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 11:47 am
alwayssmiling wrote:
I'm not an author but I do have an opinion. While a magazine might get you more readers, if you ever do want to put it out as a novel half those readers won't buy it because they read it already. Or their mother/sister/neighbor/ friend thinks it's a waste of money cuz they follows and it was silly.
Think book is the safer

The books after the serials still get sold. If the story is good she can get paid for it twice

Goody2shoes

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 11:52 am
shaqued_almond wrote:
The books after the serials still get sold. If the story is good she can get paid for it twice

Could be. Again I'm not an author and maybe I have no right to say anything. I'm actually the one who runs to buy the books cuz it was so good and I want to have it in book form. But dunno,I sometimes get the feeling from family and friends that once you read it there's no point if it being published as a book.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 11:57 am
alwayssmiling wrote:
Could be. Again I'm not an author and maybe I have no right to say anything. I'm actually the one who runs to buy the books cuz it was so good and I want to have it in book form. But dunno,I sometimes get the feeling from family and friends that once you read it there's no point if it being published as a book.
Those are the same people who probably wouldn’t have bought it regardless because they’d rather borrow from someone else, read it once and then return it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club