Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Asking because I really don’t know

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 3:18 pm
I keep seeing people post about how tisha b’av is so strict and stuff like that. Where did the strictness come from? Why is it more strict than any other fast that was instituted by the rabbis?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 5:11 pm
It and YK are stricter. YK is strictest because if a person is allowed to eat they have to eat in shiurim.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 5:32 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
It and YK are stricter. YK is strictest because if a person is allowed to eat they have to eat in shiurim.

But why is it so strict? How/why is it more strict than any of the other fasts that were instituted by the rabbis? The reason YK is so strict is because it is from the Torah.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 5:33 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
But why is it so strict? How/why is it more strict than any of the other fasts that were instituted by the rabbis? The reason YK is so strict is because it is from the Torah.

Because of the many different tragedies that took place on Tisha b’Av, chief among them losing the beis Hamikdash, which was out closest connection to Hashem, and was a protection from illness and other problems…

amother
Sage

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 5:38 pm
I just asked dh this question. He says that there were many places that women in general never fasted except these two. Yk cuz it's min hatorah and tes av because it's klal yusroels biggest tragedy. He says that the strictness of tes av is mesorah, that the women decided to be strict with themselves. As you see from other posts,it's pretty easy to find leniency in tes av as it's not min hatorah.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note