Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Anyone here have a husband who is a Queens hatzalah member?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 6:13 pm
I have a question and don’t live there and don’t know who to call.

Recently my elderly aunt who lives alone needed to go to the hospital,
I called hatzolah for her from my home she isn’t frum and looks like a bag lady. She isn’t but she never married and has aspergers. Anyway hatzalah came and told me to call 911 and wouldn’t take her.
Is this the norm?
Also would hatzalah take someone to a hospital they want to go to within the five boroughs if not life and death situation?

Tia

amother
Grape

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 9:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have a question and don’t live there and don’t know who to call.

Recently my elderly aunt who lives alone needed to go to the hospital,
I called hatzolah for her from my home she isn’t frum and looks like a bag lady. She isn’t but she never married and has aspergers. Anyway hatzalah came and told me to call 911 and wouldn’t take her.
Is this the norm?
Also would hatzalah take someone to a hospital they want to go to within the five boroughs if not life and death situation?

Tia

Were you at least able to get 911 to bring her?

amother
Thistle

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 9:30 pm
My DH was on Queens Hatzalah years ago, now we live OOT. I know back then they had a huge problem of mostly elderly people calling them as basically a "ride" to the hospital. At one point they started telling members that in that case they should call a private ambulance company to step in (not 911 though).

I have no idea if this is the situation, but definitely could be. You didn't indicate what the need for her to go to the hospital was. Is it possible it was not a critical emergency?

Hatzalah is meant for real emergencies. Using them as transportation takes away their resources from places where it is needed

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 9:35 pm
Yes but I was just so upset about it.
Also my brother came (he didn't want to be involved, long story) and he isn't frum so I guess to the Hatzalah guy they didn't want to get involved.
I was on the phone with them so they couldn't see that I was frum. I was so tempted to say something to them.
I just felt that they didn't care at all because my aunt wasn't frum.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 9:37 pm
You don’t usually get to chose your hospital. Was she particular about which hospital she wanted to go to? Because that may have been the reason they didn’t take her.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 9:41 pm
amother [ Thistle ] wrote:
My DH was on Queens Hatzalah years ago, now we live OOT. I know back then they had a huge problem of mostly elderly people calling them as basically a "ride" to the hospital. At one point they started telling members that in that case they should call a private ambulance company to step in (not 911 though).

I have no idea if this is the situation, but definitely could be. You didn't indicate what the need for her to go to the hospital was. Is it possible it was not a critical emergency?

Hatzalah is meant for real emergencies. Using them as transportation takes away their resources from places where it is needed

She was having breathing problems and required oxygen and something else which I can't remember and has a spine issue so can't sit in a chair and needs to be transported in a lying down position.

arn

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 9:41 pm
They don’t care if the patient is frum or not, but if it’s not an emergency they don’t usually transport.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 9:46 pm
amother [ Hydrangea ] wrote:
You don’t usually get to chose your hospital. Was she particular about which hospital she wanted to go to? Because that may have been the reason they didn’t take her.

All her doctors are in one hospital so she wanted to go there because they know what's going on with her.

amother
Thistle

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 9:55 pm
I have NEVER heard of them not transporting someone because they weren't frum. Dh at times even transported non Jewish patients.

But if it's not an emergency, or they're asking for a specific hospital- they'll call a different ambulance company

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 11:17 pm
Ive seen them treat my non Jewish neighbor when he collapsed in our building... has nothing to do with frum or not frum
I hope she got what she needs!

amother
Crocus

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 11:17 pm
Will say this for a different hatzolah.
I work in a medical office, if someone does not want to go to the nearest hospital and wants to go to Manhattan, hatzolah calls Senior care to do the transport. They don't have enough man power and ambulances to transport people to the hospital of their choice. This is just their protocol and has nothing to do if the patient is Jewish of not.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 12:39 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes but I was just so upset about it.
Also my brother came (he didn't want to be involved, long story) and he isn't frum so I guess to the Hatzalah guy they didn't want to get involved.
I was on the phone with them so they couldn't see that I was frum. I was so tempted to say something to them.
I just felt that they didn't care at all because my aunt wasn't frum.

They don’t rurn down non- frum people and just say say, call 911. There had to be a different reason, probably that it was a non emergency

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 12:13 am
I know for a fact that Hatzolah responds to calls to assist non frum people. In fact I also know that they bring non frum people to the hospital if there is a medical emergency. I know because I have a non frum relative who called 911 when there was an emergency. 911 never showed up. An hour passed and the relative was getting worse. I wasn’t there but when I heard that 911 was not responding I called queens Hatzolah. Even though this relative lives a good 15 minutes away from the frum area, Hatzolah said they had no problem driving there. They got there within minutes and after assessing the situation they transported to the hospital. It is very noticeable that this relative is not frum. The situation you are talking about definitely had nothing to do with the person not being frum.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries