Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
YK fasting

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 10:19 am
I can’t do it. Fasting is so hard for me. Tisha B’av is aleady getting me nervous about YK. I get 10 out of 10 level migraine pain with fasting and can’t go to shul. I lay in bed all day and am so miserable. My Rabbi just blows me off and doesn’t think it’s serious. I’ve tried the long acting Tylenol, ibuprofen from Toronto. I can’t think of anything other than how miserable I am. I end up taking ibuprofen midday or even something stronger that knocks me out for a few hours but I don’t think that is right.
What can I do?

amother
NeonGreen

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 1:15 pm
Taper off caffeine.

Take a caffeine suppository and/or pill or drink right before the fast.

Ask about other suppositories on the fast.

Hydrate well beforehand.

Stay inside in air conditioning.

I have met many secular Jews that fast on YK. Many. Even those who don’t do much else. Even ones who have diabetes and can technically get out of it. It’s a major Jewish value.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 1:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I can’t do it. Fasting is so hard for me. Tisha B’av is aleady getting me nervous about YK. I get 10 out of 10 level migraine pain with fasting and can’t go to shul. I lay in bed all day and am so miserable. My Rabbi just blows me off and doesn’t think it’s serious. I’ve tried the long acting Tylenol, ibuprofen from Toronto. I can’t think of anything other than how miserable I am. I end up taking ibuprofen midday or even something stronger that knocks me out for a few hours but I don’t think that is right.
What can I do?

I would find a different rav, who you think will be more sympathetic and actually listen to you. Tell the new rav what the old rav said, and explain why that doesn’t work.

amother
Cherry

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 2:31 pm
What do you normally do for migraines?

amother
Cadetblue

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 2:32 pm
You should ask about doing shiurim on Yom Kippur.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 4:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What can I do?
I think you HAVE TO find a different rav.
I also get insane migraines and I spoke with our rav and he told me right away that if I feel a migraine coming on to do shiurim. He even said to do them with juice, not water so that it really will help.
I dont think that a rav who actually understands how bad migraines can get, would say what your rav said. Im so sorry.

amother
Currant

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 4:25 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I also get insane migraines and I spoke with our rav and he told me right away that if I feel a migraine coming on to do shiurim. He even said to do them with juice, not water so that it really will help.
I dont think that a rav who actually understands how bad migraines can get, would say what your rav said. Im so sorry.

Ask
Because I don’t think for a pushed off Tisha Bav you need to do shiurim.
Maybe you can ask if you can take migraine meds as soon as you feel one coming in.
There is migraine Tylenol and migraine excedrin
Also try the long lasting caffeine with the long lasting Tylenol.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 4:31 pm
amother [ Currant ] wrote:
Ask
Because I don’t think for a pushed off Tisha Bav you need to do shiurim.
Maybe you can ask if you can take migraine meds as soon as you feel one coming in.
There is migraine Tylenol and migraine excedrin
Also try the long lasting caffeine with the long lasting Tylenol.
She was asking about YK, not 9 av.
I learned shiurim on YK and breaking one's fast on 9 av if needs be. This is what I was told when asked about migraines for both big fasts. The rest of the fasts, I dont fast. The migraines are too bad if I fast.

amother
Cherry

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 5:23 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:

Maybe her rav really understands how serious it is not to fast on yk... Listen, I get migraines. I only fast TB and YK, but it's not like it's no big deal no to. Also, not everyone experiences migraines the same way. Maybe yours are much worse than op. I'm guessing yours are much worse than mine, because I wouldn't consider drinking on yk even though I get a migraine every time.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 1:29 am
amother [ Cherry ] wrote:
Maybe her rav really understands how serious it is not to fast on yk... Listen, I get migraines. I only fast TB and YK, but it's not like it's no big deal no to. Also, not everyone experiences migraines the same way. Maybe yours are much worse than op. I'm guessing yours are much worse than mine, because I wouldn't consider drinking on yk even though I get a migraine every time.
The OP said she gets 10 out of 10 pain with migraines. Thats pretty darn bad.
And in terms of not fasting on YK, a good rav will understand if someone is not able and tell them about shiurim.
And yes, mine are pretty bad. And once I get them, the affects of having had a migraine last for DAYS with me.
But please dont think that OP's pain is not that bad, or she wouldnt be asking this question.

essie14

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 1:32 am
I get migraines which land me in the ER. I am allowed to do shiurim on YK, just to keep me from getting dehydrated and avoid the ER.
OP, please find a new Rav who understand migraines.
I know many people who do shiurim on YK.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur