Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Lonely.. Any ideas?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 12:28 am
Hi I'm 57 heimish from Boro park and divorced living alone (my kids are married and busy with their lives)and young at heart..I'm very lonely shabbosim and especially now in the summer..any ideas where I can meet women in my age and position for shabbosim or ways I can make new friends that I can go away with etc.?

amother
Offwhite

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 12:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi I'm 57 heimish from Boro park and divorced living alone (my kids are married and busy with their lives)and young at heart..I'm very lonely shabbosim and especially now in the summer..any ideas where I can meet women in my age and position for shabbosim or ways I can make new friends that I can go away with etc.?

Similar situation but in lakewood

amother
Geranium

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 12:30 am
Sister to sister?

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 12:31 am
Are you part of sister to sister?

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 12:32 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I would love to have you over, but I live out of town Sad
But sending hugs and bump this post up in the morning so those who are sleeping and live in your area will see it. Hatzlacha!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 1:26 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I'm in a similar situation but not in or around New York, in a small community. I have friends from all walks of life: families, divorced women who are younger (or older) than me, young girls, people speaking different languages, people from retirement homes or RTF.

About once a month I do a bigger Friday evening dinner with 5 or more guests, where people from different walks of life can meet. Sometimes it's hard to find guests and I have to call 8 people just to find 2 guests and sometimes the table fills up on its own.

Sometimes I organise a meal in a foreign language for people who speak this language (think a meal for Israelis in Ivrit, etc.)

I'm very inspired by Chabad and their hospitality, so I ask people or communities to send me persons who need a place for a shabbos meal.

Twice a month I have a guest from a RTF.

I like to invite families or divorced women with children, about once or twice a month. I believe in "chosen families" or "adopted bubbies", especially when your own children or grandchildren are far away. Especially in large families, there is always a child who needs extra attention, so if you have the resources to give, you get so much back in return. So from time to time I also have a few young ladies for a meal.

About once a month, sometimes more, I get invited.

With all this activity going on, I am also happy to be all by myself from time to time.

I have friends who pop in spontanously on shabbos afternoon, and I also have a few friends I can go to spontanously on shabbos afternoon.

All in all, I am very happy and enjoy shabbos.

Chabad really got it right on this one: the more you do for others, the happier you are yourself.

Goldie613

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 2:54 am
amother [ Geranium ] wrote:
Sister to sister?

What is that?

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 5:29 am
Yehudis Sherman hosts in boro park shabbos meals for divorced woman. All ages and very warm homey place.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 7:34 am
I am not divorced but I’m also dealing with loneliness over shabbos. During the week I’m busier and don’t feel it. I’m in lakewood. My kids are not married yet but they hang out with friends and my marriage isn’t so great. I’m 50 and my neighbors are quite a bit younger than I am. I’m not close with the neighbors although they’ll smile and say good shabbos when they see me. I don’t know why I’m left alone but it’s so strange not to have a social circle as I did when I was younger before I moved here. I do enjoy reading and go through the magazines over shabbos but it hurts not to be able to have people to schmooze with.
I understand your loneliness op. It’s a long shabbos to be alone. I’m sorry I don’t have suggestions but I hope things will be easier for you very soon.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 9:49 am
Contact sister to sister for shabbos placement. They also offer other services for divorced women https://www.sistertosisternetw.....ment/

Also shabbat.com

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 8:53 pm
Thank you everyone for replying.
Do you have Mrs Sherman's number please?
Also any other ideas besides sister to sisters?
Any fun group activities during the week?any shabbatons?

amother
Apple

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 9:11 pm
Is it feasible for you to join a kosher tour? That's a good way to meet people.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 9:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I live in BP and am not divorced but I would love to walk with someone to a grassy open area 10-15 minute walk from my house..you could be my company. yitty967@gmail.com.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 9:20 pm
maybe you could try this to break up the day:

https://www.amazon.com/Wooden-.....C95TX

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 10:47 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
Yehudis Sherman hosts in boro park shabbos meals for divorced woman. All ages and very warm homey place.

Would you have her number? I'd love to be a guest but not the only nebbach lonely divorcee by a family..this sounds great

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 12:43 am
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:

This. I was there. 347 946 4071
She also has limited slots to sleep over.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 1:08 am
I was also going to mention Yehudes Sherman.....

She is adorable, healthy and very nice.

You will enjoy yourself.

amother
Nemesia

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 9:27 pm
There is a middle aged group of divorcees. Not sister to sister. I forgot what's it's called.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 1:04 pm
amother [ Nemesia ] wrote:
There is a middle aged group of divorcees. Not sister to sister. I forgot what's it's called.

Anyone on here know?please

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 2:13 pm
amother [ Gladiolus ] wrote:
I was also going to mention Yehudes Sherman.....

She is adorable, healthy and very nice.

You will enjoy yourself.

I just googled her name. Wow.. very impressed! I don’t live in Brooklyn but that’s something I would be drawn to.
Will you check it out op?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics