Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Starting to learn full time in kollel at 45..

ProudMommie

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 6:27 am
I have absolutely no idea where to post this but I need advice...

There is a baal teshuva moving to Lakewood to learn full time. He is 45 and has support. He does not need anything besides a kollel or program that will help him.. The program needs to be full time and his small family needs modest housing. Can anyone advise? Is this crazy? What are the potential challenges? Are there people like that in Lakewood? Besides Lakewood, no other places are being considered. TIA!!

Newcastle

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 7:05 am
I’m wondering whether Kollel Ner Avraham, which is Dr Rich Roberts’ Shul, includes an actual Kollel; just going by the name of the shul. And if so-whether it might be a fit. I really don’t know, just thinking of the possibility.

ProudMommie

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 7:22 am
Thank you for replying... will look at all possible options.. How do we contact them?

Newcastle

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 7:29 am
ProudMommie wrote:
Thank you for replying... will look at all possible options.. How do we contact them?

I see kna613.com as their website. ( See Menu there.)
Or, if you know anyone in the Arbutus/Case Rd-14th st neighborhood, they may be familiar.

ProudMommie

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 7:31 am
thanks so much, tizku lmitzvos!!

questionanswer

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 8:22 am
ProudMommie wrote:
I have absolutely no idea where to post this but I need advice...

There is a baal teshuva moving to Lakewood to learn full time. He is 45 and has support. He does not need anything besides a kollel or program that will help him.. The program needs to be full time and his small family needs modest housing. Can anyone advise? Is this crazy? What are the potential challenges? Are there people like that in Lakewood? Besides Lakewood, no other places are being considered. TIA!!

Wow!

How recent baalei tshuva are they? It makes a difference if he's been learning in ey for 10 years or if they just became shomer shobbos 2 years ago. From your post I'm assuming new so answering with that assumption.

You may want to start by calling BMG, just because they are so big in town they may know of things. You never know.

Oorah is a baal tshuva organization. They are based in Lakewood so they may have a lot of connections plus the insight to understand the family's needs.

Lakewood is huge. I'm sure there is some of every type, but there isn't a lot - it's not like jlem in that way at all.

Challenges:
Lakewood is a great place, but relatively boxy. It's something to consider.

I'm assuming someone is guiding this family and that is why they are only considering Lakewood.

dena613

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 8:24 am
Consider schools for their children? Assuming they are school aged.
That doesn't seem easy in lkwd

ProudMommie

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 8:36 am
They have been baaley teshuva for the past 20 years.. and learned some as well.. and have lived in EY.. and yes I think schools for kids will be potentially challenging.. but hoping for siyata dshmaya..

ProudMommie

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 8:44 am
If anyone wants to advise about schools or anything else..it would be very appreciated.. It would be good to have info about warm yet shtark schools for boys...places for the man to learn (already got a few ideas)... and modest housing options (not in the market to buy a home) Advising via pm would be great since I don't want to post info that may be too personal . Not interested in any negative warnings about various issues in the community or possible rejection from some ppl.. .. they don't care and are not hyper sensitive.. expecting golus conditions if I may say it like that.......Family going there to learn and not expecting or needing a perfect place //warm fuzziness..

questionanswer

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 8:49 am
Maybe post in an anonymous enabled forum. You may get more responses.

number

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 9:04 am
questionanswer wrote:
Oorah is a baal tshuva organization. They are based in Lakewood so they may have a lot of connections plus the insight to understand the family's needs.
Yes contact Oorah. This is their field.

jd1212

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 9:09 am
I know very little about these two but there is an Ohr Someach in Monsey and a kollel in Highland Park with BTs, but not sure if they’re all young.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics