Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Family Vacation Ideas ?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 9:18 am
Looking to do a family getaway towards the end of the summer for approximately a week (would be over shabbos)

Here are some points that I would like ;

* Up to a 4-5 hour drive from Lakewood. Maybe a bit more if worth it.

* Walking distance to shul (especially for over shabbos. can be driving distance during the week and we'll go to hotel near shul in same area for shabbos)

* Kid friendly activities nearby , for 5 & 7 year old boys
We usually like farms, zoos, amusement parks, boating and water sports, quiet beaches...

Any ideas or leads would be greatly appreciated!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 9:19 am
Oh and we did Lancaster, PA last year which was a huge hit!

doctorima

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 9:43 am
Either Tannersville/Hunter or Onset in Cape Cod would be perfect. Lincoln, NH is also great, though a bit longer than you said you want to drive.

amother
Snowflake

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 10:14 am
doctorima wrote:
Either Tannersville/Hunter or Onset in Cape Cod would be perfect. Lincoln, NH is also great, though a bit longer than you said you want to drive.

Are there any nice hotels or resorts in tannersville?

amother
Yolk

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 10:19 am
amother [ Snowflake ] wrote:

Melour but it’s pricey

amother
Snowflake

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 10:26 am
amother [ Yolk ] wrote:
Melour but it’s pricey

Need Without food

amother
Yolk

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 10:27 am
Need Without food

I never heard of a resort without food

doctorima

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 10:37 am

No, but there are some really nice AirBNB's in both Tannersville and Hunter.

Dreamer

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 10:52 am
One year we went to Lake George.
At the time we had a toddler thru teenagers and it was a vacation geared to all of them!

Aside from the amusement parks, there are boat rides, miniature golf, military fort museum. There are also cute tourist shops that are fun to browse.
The park had an outdoor stage with concerts (When I was there it was cute country music, not rock/punk stuff).

30 min away is Saratoga Springs where we went to try the natural spring water. There is a chasidish boys camp there. They sell food and you can also stay there for Shabbos. (We didnt , but sharing the option).

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 8:24 am
Thank you to all those who responded.

So now I'm debating between these 3 options; Onset MA, Lake George, or New Hampshire.

If anyone has personal experience with any of these locations, I would love to hear more.
Where you stayed, what attractions you did, minyanim etc..

For some reason I feel pulled to the Cape Cod option, but minyanim are more complicating and the only place to stay in Onset walking distance to minyan is a bit shabby. There is a Chabad in Cape Cod but minyanim aren't a definite.

I would LOVE a house with a pool or a house off the beach but I think that may be unreasonable..

Food is not a problem I can bring along and cook in betty, croc pot...

And we can drive to attractions, parks, activities in the area.

We love family vacations but I absolutely hate the planning! The only part of the planning I enjoy is the food lol.

Any leads would be greatly appreciated!!

Simple1

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 8:50 am
Kosher Springs in Pennsylvania. There are activities on premises that you can pay for but not sure what ages they are geared for. You can Google it.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 8:58 am
NH is very family friendly.
Lake George is also great.
We've been to both and I think there's more to do for a week in NH for your age kids. Hunter is very toned down and not enough activities for a full week unless you plan to spend a lot of time in the house/pool.

doctorima

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 9:01 am
I've been to all 3. Lake George is definitely my least favorite. NH and Onset are very different trips. You're right that NH is more popular and will have more minyan and lodging options. Personally I appreciate the quaint charm of Onset and Cape Cod and had a wonderful Shabbos there last summer. It's also a shorter drive. But the mountain scenery and nice condos in NH are popular for a reason.

amother
Yolk

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 9:05 am
doctorima wrote:
I've been to all 3. Lake George is definitely my least favorite. NH and Onset are very different trips. You're right that NH is more popular and will have more minyan and lodging options. Personally I appreciate the quaint charm of Onset and Cape Cod and had a wonderful Shabbos there last summer. It's also a shorter drive. But the mountain scenery and nice condos in NH are popular for a reason.

Agreed; I find lake George odious. We stop there to use the public bathrooms on the way to somewhere else.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 9:10 am
Thank you so much!
Where did you stay in Onset?
And what did you do about minyanim and food?

I am more pulled to the location and quaintness in Onset but the minyanim and accommodations are more complicated.

doctorima

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 11:12 am
Onset shul normally has daily minyan after Tisha B'Av: http://www.capecodshul.org/cap.....x.php

Lodging can be harder to come by. If you're not there on Shabbos, there are a lot more options that are still a short drive to shul. There's also a Marriott and Hilton just a few miles away. If you need Shabbos walking distance, you might be too late this year, but you could try reaching out to the couple who runs the shul (contact info on the website) to see if they know of anything.

I brought all our food from home, same as I did for NH and Lake George.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics