Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Updating kitchen

momandteacher

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 12:47 pm
Is it possible to make a kitchen look much more up-to-date without redoing the whole thing? My kitchen has light wood cabinets, and I was thinking of changing only the handles/pulls. I love the new white cabinets/gold handles look, but I can't afford to do a job of that size. Other tips?

Jello

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 12:55 pm
Changing handles and drawer pulls is a great idea to update a kitchen's look! Depending on your budget, you can paint, replace countertops, or even reface the cabinets you have already (not always possible and prices vary).

mom1625

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 1:15 pm
What do you consider redoing the whole thing? Painting the cabinets, either yourself or hiring someone, will obviously cost far less than replacing them. Updating the hardware is a start, but if you are looking for that bright, fresh look of a white kitchen, it might not have the impact you want---it might just look a bit stranger than staying within a specific style.

You should also consider how chaning just the hardware will coordinate with the rest of the finishes in your kitchen--lighting, faucets, etc...

Replacing a few superficial items like what I mentioned above, as well as barstools (if you have), would also give a fresh result without the price tag.

EMEN

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 1:35 pm
I love light wood cabinets! They can look very modern. Look at pix on houzz.com for inspiration for kitchens with similar cabinets to yours and see if you can bring elements into your kitchen from those pix.

Last edited by EMEN on Mon, Aug 01 2022, 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chayalle

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 1:35 pm
I moved into my house a few years ago. My kitchen is probably from the late 80's. The builder who built my house (for himself) put in very high quality strong custom dark solid wood cabinets. They are in amazing condition and also have some awesome features (I have a pull out pantry that I would not give up easily. I don't think they make them like that anymore.) Brass hardware. Ugliest off white formica countertops and backsplash (those were also in horrible condition, coming apart at the edges) that you have ever seen. And a really ugly double enamel sink, in an ugly mustardy-beige color).

(I replaced the appliances - all of which were old, horrible, and had kashrus concerns, before moving in, with stainless appliaces - oven, fridge, dishwasher, microwave).

This year I changed the counters, sinks, some electrical work. Literally all I did was strip off the counters and backsplash, put in two stainless D-sinks instead of that ugly sink, modern faucets, beautiful granite counters (that pull in that dark wood color but also bring in alot of light....greys, browns, whites) and a matching tile backsplash (in greige). Electrician replaced outlets with updated plates/switches.

It's a totally different kitchen.

(I've thought of replacing the hardware but it has outside mount hinges, which match the pulls, and it's a big job. But so far the updates I did made such a difference, it's good enough for now.)

Not_in_my_town

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 2:31 pm
What color are your walls, countertop, furniture?

You might be able to get away with just updating the pulls and maybe changing the faucet, but if you can bring in a great accent color on the walls, and switch out the countertop for something more updated (if it's out of date), and maybe even painting the cabinets, it'll go a lot further.

I'm attaching some fun, updated ideas that may or may not go with your kitchen. If you'd be willing to post a picture, I could give you some cheap tips to change the look, custom made to your kitchen. Here are some generic ideas:

Lucite and gold drawer pulls:
https://www.amazon.com/goldenw.....r=8-5

Gold and black faucet: (Will work well if you have a blackish countertop)
I have a similar faucet in my own house and LOVE It. Super powerful, bendable hose and very affordable. I'm a cheap shopper with high-end taste...
https://www.amazon.com/WENKEN-.....;th=1

Single-hole black and gold drawer pulls:
https://www.amazon.com/Drawer-.....=8-11
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars