Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Mishpacha- pleasantly surprised
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 8:05 am
I was pleasantly surprised that Mishpacha published 2 letters to the editor this week.
The first was about promoting for teachers to work in public schools, while there is an ongoing crisis in finding teachers to work for our Yeshivos.
The second was a letter from a formerly frum father, saying how detrimental it is to cut children off from a parent who had gone OTD.

Thoughts?

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 8:07 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was pleasantly surprised that Mishpacha published 2 letters to the editor this week.
The first was about promoting for teachers to work in public schools, while there is an ongoing crisis in finding teachers to work for our Yeshivos.
The second was a letter from a formerly frum father, saying how detrimental it is to cut children off from a parent who had gone OTD.

Thoughts?

How can anyone have thoughts without reading the letters? Is there a link to post so that those who have not read them can read them?

amother
Caramel

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 8:24 am
Thoughts are that in general Mishpacha is looking to appeal and cater to a different crowd. It is something I've noticed a while ago and it seems to only get more prominent as time goes on

amother
Iris

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 8:27 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
How can anyone have thoughts without reading the letters? Is there a link to post so that those who have not read them can read them?

https://mishpacha.com/inbox-issue-921/

The letter about teaching in public schools is third on the page and the one from an OTD parent is fourth.

Love the Mishpacha!!!

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 8:27 am
I liked the letter about teaching in public school. Although I do think that many people who want to stay in teaching are doing it for the outcome, schar, to teach Chumash, give over Hashkafa. The schedule is a major advantage which I'm sure some there are some teaching just for that.
But I was wondering, the one person I know that teaches in Public School, she teaches till 4 on Friday, Erev Yom Tov till crazy hours, Chol Hamoed. So...

Regarding the letter from the former frum father, it was nice and thought provoking but I was surprised. I don't think it really belonged there.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 8:43 am
amother [ Caramel ] wrote:
Thoughts are that in general Mishpacha is looking to appeal and cater to a different crowd. It is something I've noticed a while ago and it seems to only get more prominent as time goes on

What do you mean by a different crowd?

Is seems to me like they are trying to be appropriate for a diverse crowd lately. Not to one particular crowd.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 8:55 am
amother [ Caramel ] wrote:

What does different crowd mean?
Who's different?
Please also let me know which kind of people are not different so I'll know how to join the right kind of people who are in the not different crowd.

amother
Caramel

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 9:09 am
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
What does different crowd mean?
Who's different?
Please also let me know which kind of people are not different so I'll know how to join the right kind of people who are in the not different crowd.

Huh? Do you react this way anytime you hear a business decided to cater to a different clientele?

amother
Hibiscus

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 9:11 am
Bravo to Mishpacha! I'm glad someone is finally getting this kind of thing out into the open - marriages where one partner is not frum and one is. It's about time. As for the "different" audience - yeah, you know, each and every one of us IS different.

amother
Snowflake

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 10:07 am
I was impressed by the father's sensitivity. the difference is that he keeps it private and fakes it in front of the kids
huge difference between doing that and putting it in their faces or worse chas v shalom
as for public schools have many friends BT who did that for years and it got progressively tougher as time went on and standards changed, very tough to get personal days for the chagim and classes that made it easy on friday to get home when shabbat begins early. Also they were increasingly forced to be PC and accept things that were frankly quite unacceptable. not only high school either Sad

then again that was tough too for my non jewish friends as well Sad

amother
Milk

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 10:12 am
I agree. I’m RW MO. I subscribed about 2-3 years ago. The editorial perspective, aritockes, ads all felt very ‘other’. To me but I’m definitely noticing more varied viewpoints. Definitely

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 10:33 am
Woah... Maybe they'll even start publishing pictures of modestly-dressed women... nah, that'd be going waaaaaaaay too far.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 10:41 am
amother [ Hibiscus ] wrote:
Bravo to Mishpacha! I'm glad someone is finally getting this kind of thing out into the open - marriages where one partner is not frum and one is. It's about time. As for the "different" audience - yeah, you know, each and every one of us IS different.

It's very nice to that Mishpacha is catering to a wider audience, but many people only bought Mishpacha because it was more insular and they could trust that they were not exposing their family to articles and ideas that they were not comfortable with.
I know of several people who stopped buying it, and I will not be renewing my subscription.

Before the bashing begins, this doesn't mean I'm against anyone different than me or that I dont discuss these topics with my friends, who are not all the same hashkafa as I am - some are chassidish and I am more modern than they are, one is more right-wing-har-habayis, one is OTD... etc. Even several of my siblings and in-laws are not religious, so I'm pretty open-minded. But I am an adult and I wouldn't want to introduce these ideas to my 10 year old who also picks up the magazine.
And yes, this is a magazine for adults, but honestly, if it's in the house, your kids are reading it.

amother
Milk

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 10:45 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
It's very nice to that Mishpacha is catering to a wider audience, but many people only bought Mishpacha because it was more insular and they could trust that they were not exposing their family to articles and ideas that they were not comfortable with.
I know of several people who stopped buying it, and I will not be renewing my subscription.

Before the bashing begins, this doesn't mean I'm against anyone different than me or that I dont discuss these topics with my friends, who are not all the same hashkafa as I am - some are chassidish and I am more modern than they are, one is more right-wing-har-habayis, one is OTD... etc. Even several of my siblings and in-laws are not religious, so I'm pretty open-minded. But I am an adult and I wouldn't want to introduce these ideas to my 10 year old who also picks up the magazine.
And yes, this is a magazine for adults, but honestly, if it's in the house, your kids are reading it.

What’s RW har habayis?

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 10:57 am
amother [ Milk ] wrote:
What’s RW har habayis?

More chareidi than DL, but votes Likud and goes up to har habayis (which most, if not all chareidi rabbis say is assur)

momallhours

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 11:06 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
I liked the letter about teaching in public school. Although I do think that many people who want to stay in teaching are doing it for the outcome, schar, to teach Chumash, give over Hashkafa. The schedule is a major advantage which I'm sure some there are some teaching just for that.
But I was wondering, the one person I know that teaches in Public School, she teaches till 4 on Friday, Erev Yom Tov till crazy hours, Chol Hamoed. So...

Regarding the letter from the former frum father, it was nice and thought provoking but I was surprised. I don't think it really belonged there.

Yes well said agree with you 100%

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 11:27 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:

I was surprised about it, but I am happy they printed it.
They way some people fight for full custody when a spouse goes OTD is horrible.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 11:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

100% but really every situation is different. Some times unfortunately it will not be good in the slightest and very detrimental for the child to be with the OTD parent.

It was a very parent point the father was making, I just don't think it belongs in such a forum. I'm not really sure why not it just felt wrong. Maybe because there are really young kids who read it...

amother
Milk

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 11:49 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
More chareidi than DL, but votes Likud and goes up to har habayis (which most, if not all chareidi rabbis say is assur)

(I’m a silly American so understand very little of what you said. Will ask husband for dumb it down for me later)

amother
Snowflake

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 11:51 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

They should fight for full custody.
Do you know what full custody means? Probably not.
Full custody means main domicile and parent making decisions like schools and camps.
The other non custodial parent can get visitation and a lot of it and still be very involved in the child's life while not being able to stick the kid in a secular camp or public school or otherwise disrupt the child's established routine.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room