Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Playgroup raising price last minute, how is this fair?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 9:17 am
I'm really upset right now. I signed up my child chanukah time and gave a deposit. Now she let's me know that she's going up with $200!!!! a month. Is this even halachacly allowed?
She offered to return my deposit and not send but how does that help me?

Chayalle

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 9:20 am
Wow that is a huge increase. I've heard of increases but not that much. I would be upset too if I were you.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 9:21 am
If you signed a tuition contract then I don't think it's allowed. If you just made a deposit and signed that you're enrolling your child, it probably is allowed - though I understand your frustration. Price of everything is going up - so I can understand playgroup price going up - but nobody likes a last minute surprise like this. Sorry.

watergirl

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 9:25 am
When I read the subject line, I imagined an increase of maybe $50 a month. $200 a month is a LOT. I don't understand Lakewood, but it seems to me that is not normal for anywhere. And from what I do know about Lakewood and most other cities at this point in the year is that it's impossible for you to find a new place by now. What she did is unethical, knowing you are stuck and have the choice now of paying the increase or having no playgroup.

What did you sign? What did it say?

amf

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 9:28 am
Op where are you located and what age do you need?

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 9:40 am
There was a long thread about this a few months ago. There were mixed responses about whether it is ok or not.
However, I think everyone will agree that an increase of $200 per month is wrong and unacceptable.
Seriously you should get all the parents in the playgroup to tell the morah that you are all pulling out. Maybe if she is left with no one she will lower the rate.

amother
Blushpink

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 9:43 am
I wonder if something happened. Her playgroup’s rent could have skyrocketed or she could have been unable to find an assistant for a decent rate and needed to offer a very high salary. If crazy high expenses meant she needed to either shut down or raise her rates accordingly, which would you prefer she do? I’ve had moros cancel their groups a month before school starts. It’s stressful but it’s really not unheard of.

amother
Blushpink

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 9:45 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
There was a long thread about this a few months ago. There were mixed responses about whether it is ok or not.
However, I think everyone will agree that an increase of $200 per month is wrong and unacceptable.
Seriously you should get all the parents in the playgroup to tell the morah that you are all pulling out. Maybe if she is left with no one she will lower the rate.
Or if she would be operating at a loss with the original rate, she comes out ahead with no one because at least she’s not losing money.

amother
Vanilla

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 9:55 am
Is the new rate significantly higher than what other playgroups charge?

What does your "contract" state in terms of pricing?

How critical is the playgroup? Is it for childcare because you are working or is it to provide a social experience for your child?

amother
Firethorn

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 10:14 am
I think you need to pull your child out and find another playgroup.
Or you can say, "I don't have that money. Could we work out an arrangement?"

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 10:37 am
I would be livid. Is there a Rav in your neighborhood that you could go to together with her (and maybe other parents from the playgroup) to try to enforce the original agreement, or at least work out a more reasonable compromise?

amother
Steel

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 10:42 am
That is wrong. It is a huge increase. Call a rav. And contact all the parents and if you all threaten to pull out together maybe something will change.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 10:42 am
amother [ Blushpink ] wrote:
Or if she would be operating at a loss with the original rate, she comes out ahead with no one because at least she’s not losing money.

Obviously I cannot say for sure without knowing details, but that's highly unlikely. Of course inflation made very bring expensive, but your original rate would have had to be extremely extremely low if you are now losing money off the playgroup.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 10:47 am
If I learned one thing in the last year of our deep recession it is that I used to trust Heimish business but not anymore.
We spent thousands of extra dollars recently because we didn’t have good contracts with various people.(business and personal)
Not because they are less honest, but we used to commit to and keep a word, but because times are so crazy and unpredictable now, people are forced to go back on their word more often than not.

Try to find a different playgroup and take it as a learning experience.
MAKE A WRITTEN DETAILED CONTRACT!!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 10:48 am
Did not sign any contract, just a deposit and text exchanges.
I don't want to out myself so don't want to give too many details. I just wanted to hear if I'm right for being so mad.
I can not afford to send at the new rate I would have to keep my child home and work around their nap and sleep schedule (I make my own hours generally).

amother
Stonewash

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 11:00 am
What is her new price? That sounds really high!

amother
Blushpink

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 11:31 am
I would tell her you can’t afford the new rate and ask her which rav told her it was ok to raise like this. Just to double check she’s doing this correctly. Hard to say if the raise is inappropriate without more details like what her original rate was, whether she has an assistant she may have needed to give a steep raise to, whether she rents another location for her playgroup that may have steeply raised the rent.

amother
Anemone

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 12:10 pm
Op, don't out yourself I know who your talking about. yes its wrong. The price is higher than other playgroups, however she does have good hours. Its also supply and demand the other playgroups in the area charge less. Not that many people want to be a morah for so little money its a hard job.She's doing it to make money. She has a hard time finding morah's therefore had to rais her prices. Suppy and demand. If everyone backs out I don't know if she would completely fill up. But she might get kids from other surrounding areas that don't have playgroups there. including some still movimg from Brooklyn and TR. Halacha? Imamother doesn't have a Rav on site.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 12:19 pm
I would try to find something new and pull. Even if it costs the same.
I think this is unethical.
I would be afraid that if you went to a Rav and he agreed with you, she would take it out in your kid.

FYI, I work in a hospital (no I am not a RN) and I got a 2.5% raise.
We all got between 2-2.5% raise. I will do more with less or take on a side job.

amother
Honey

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 12:21 pm
Your anger is definitely justified, OP. I would be furious, and would politely convey that to the morah. It’s really not mentschlich to raise prices so significantly, last minute.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries