Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What are the simple things that create fond memories

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 6:35 am
so we can't do the fancy get-aways and trips
tell me which uninteresting bonding activities stuff you do or you have in your home which adds flavor and spice to life and are the stuff of nostolgia

LK1

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 6:40 am
Family game nights.
The simple fun games that the whole family plays together.

We especially did it summer nights and it's awesome!

Those are the fond memories from my house that I have and I really hope I could give my kids that same experience.

amother
Almond

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 6:58 am
Family dinner every night at 6:30pm
Pancakes for breakfast on Sunday
Movie nights with popcorn

amother
Darkblue

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 7:46 am
Rolling down a hill at the park

Friday afternoons in the summer outings

Melave Malka’s in the winter

Bonfires in your back yard if permitted

Taco Tuesday

scruffy

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 7:49 am
Planting veggies
Making pillow forts with the whole family
Reading books to the kids (funny voices...)
Family trips to the library

zaq

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 8:25 am
Really, any activity you do lovingly with your kids will create fond memories, whether it's arts and crafts, picnicking, museum-going, reading stories, putting on skits, growing plants, singing, or teaching them skills like cooking, sewing and basic home repairs. What matters is the warm and happy atmosphere in which you do it.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 8:34 am
Shabbos morning chocolate time!
(In 3rd grade DD wrote an essay about it.

My children are all post Yeshiva/Sem and still talk about it.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 8:38 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Shabbos morning chocolate time!
(In 3rd grade DD wrote an essay about it.

My children are all post Yeshiva/Sem and still talk about it.

Can you elaborate on this activity? I would love to do it!

Not_in_my_town

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 8:48 am
Ice cream parties

Game nights

Camp outs (pallets in the living room)

Playing ball in the park

Scootering/biking in park

Reading a serial together

amother
Mimosa

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 8:54 am
Baking cookies together. Playing a board game after dinner. Creating your own ice cream sundae's with lots of different flavor ice creams, whipped cream. Chilling out on the sofa together.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 9:02 am
After 9 days, put on music and dance together!

essie14

Family movie nights
Hiking
Family trivia game
Make a bonfire and make smores

amother
Lime

amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
Can you elaborate on this activity? I would love to do it!

Many here will not approve. I am sure some will even say it is assur.
I have a small family and my children are close in age. I can’t imagine it working for a double digit family with kids between 3-16. But maybe the idea can be expounded upon.

Shabbos morning the kids would knock on my bedroom door between 8:15-8:45 am (they were my alarm clock and didn’t wake me earlier because if they did chocolate time was cancelled. You just need your oldest to be able to read a digital clock and have it prominently displayed for them. )
I would tell them they could come in-it also teaches knocking and waiting to be granted permission to enter.
Then they would all come up Ann snuggle in my bed. On my night table I kept a container with assorted individually wrapper chocolate miniatures. You need to make sure that you have enough of each one so if they all pick the same thing nobody misses out. They know that I have enough of each choice for them all to have the same so there is no jealousy. They each get to pick one, make a shehakol and eat it -yes in my bed. FYI, in all the years, I have never had a morsel miss their mouth and need to be cleaned up. We then snuggled/tickle/sing/play I spy….
At 9 am we stop snuggling and it is time to dress for shul.

They are old now. I miss them being little.

ETA-the also didn’t ask me for the chocolate (that specific container) all week, as they knew it was special for Shabbos.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 10:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
so we can't do the fancy get-aways and trips
tell me which uninteresting bonding activities stuff you do or you have in your home which adds flavor and spice to life and are the stuff of nostolgia

What ages? Below are my suggestions that try to interest as many of my kids as possible.

Baking is great. Cookies. Babka. Challah. Pizza.. Anything you can give them to create themselves.. Though once they're teens they'll only participate if they like to bake and patchke. (They'll participate in the eating though!)

I go through cycles where I bake w kids and where I don't have energy. But they (and their friends) always fondly talk about baking.

Buy a portable grill and go to a park to grill. This upgrades the park experience. Bring smores ingredients....all ages

Bring bikes and roller blades and scooters and ride around in a big parking lot. (Younger ages)

Playing games. But I find only my gamers play post preteen.

Read through the Littke House books before bedtime (Up to middle elementary) both genders enjoy.

6. Intetesting Kiddie pool activities in the backyard. You'll attract the big kids if it's interesting.

7. Go though a sefer as a family at the shobbos table (sefer hachinuch, shmiras haloshon). This can span years.

8. Walking as a family in the neighborhood with whoever will come. Bring scooters etc. I wish we did this more!

Not_in_my_town

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 10:33 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:

Why would anyone say it's assur as long as everyone washed nagel vasser? Sounds cozy!

amother
Lightgray

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 10:38 am
Making mug cakes in the microwave after dinner. Way faster than a regular cake. Perfect for little kids.

Making a fire in our fireplace and making popcorn and watching a movie. (This is honestly a lot of work. Making fire is not as simple as it sounds) my kids love this!

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 11:08 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
I have a small family and my children are close in age. I can’t imagine it working for a double digit family with kids between 3-16. But maybe the idea can be expounded upon.

Shabbos morning the kids would knock on my bedroom door between 8:15-8:45 am (they were my alarm clock and didn’t wake me earlier because if they did chocolate time was cancelled. You just need your oldest to be able to read a digital clock and have it prominently displayed for them. )
I would tell them they could come in-it also teaches knocking and waiting to be granted permission to enter.
Then they would all come up Ann snuggle in my bed. On my night table I kept a container with assorted individually wrapper chocolate miniatures. You need to make sure that you have enough of each one so if they all pick the same thing nobody misses out. They know that I have enough of each choice for them all to have the same so there is no jealousy. They each get to pick one, make a shehakol and eat it -yes in my bed. FYI, in all the years, I have never had a morsel miss their mouth and need to be cleaned up. We then snuggled/tickle/sing/play I spy….
At 9 am we stop snuggling and it is time to dress for shul.

They are old now. I miss them being little.

ETA-the also didn’t ask me for the chocolate (that specific container) all week, as they knew it was special for Shabbos.

I used to do this Friday night after my husband went to shul. I should do it again, they loved it!
Either way, love your idea! It sweetens their taste for shabbos and special mommy time! Lucky children!!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 11:29 am
Really any quality time spent with your kids.

Growing up my parents didn't have a lot of money. We never felt lacking in the physical as they really took care of our emotional well being. We did a lot of hiking trips as a kid--but acting silly. My mother has a ton of pictures of my father with big leaves on his head or making silly faces, etc.

Most of my kids are not outdoorsy. I bake with them, play games with them, take my younger half to parks. During the covid shutdown we did fun activities together--like obstacle courses in my living room or finger painting which morphed into face painting each others faces.

Last night I took my daughter to a mother daughter paint night. It was where both of us shared a canvas and followed the directions and painted one picture together. We had a blast. She must have thanked me a million times for taking her. It wasn't too expensive, she got to stay up late past her bed time, and we had alone bonding time. (I did it with my son years ago and he still talks about it)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics