Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Does anyone know? About checks clearing delay

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 1:36 pm
I hardly get paid by check these days, since most people send money electronically.

But I recently got paid by check. It was a large check (4k). I deposited it and now I have to wait for the check to clear. I had forgotten about checks needing to clear. I'm having a hard time being patient with this. I could have really used the money.

Question:
Does anyone know how large a check has to be for there to be a time lapse between depositing and clearing? Because I have noticed that when I deposit small checks, there is no delay.
In other words, could I have avoided the problem by simply asking the person to make a few smaller checks rather than one large check? If yes, what is the minimum number that causes this.

amother
Wallflower

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 1:40 pm
https://www.nerdwallet.com/art.....clear

amother
Peony

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 1:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I hardly get paid by check these days, since most people send money electronically.

But I recently got paid by check. It was a large check (4k). I deposited it and now I have to wait for the check to clear. I had forgotten about checks needing to clear. I'm having a hard time being patient with this. I could have really used the money.

Question:
Does anyone know how large a check has to be for there to be a time lapse between depositing and clearing? Because I have noticed that when I deposit small checks, there is no delay.
In other words, could I have avoided the problem by simply asking the person to make a few smaller checks rather than one large check? If yes, what is the minimum number that causes this.

It really depends on the bank, your type of account, the bank the check is drawn on, etc. Sometimes it makes a difference if the bank is in state or out of state. Depending on the type of check it may have to wait for a security clearance.

You have to check the fine print on your account for when you can expect the funds to be available.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 3:57 pm
I wasn't asking how long it will take to clear. And typically, it actually takes much more than 2 days.
What I was asking is as follows:
What if, instead of depositing a single 4k check, I deposited 4 checks of 1k at the same time. Would that kind of trick the system into making all the funds available right away?

Dollyz

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 3:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I wasn't asking how long it will take to clear. And typically, it actually takes much more than 2 days.
What I was asking is as follows:
What if, instead of depositing a single 4k check, I deposited 4 checks of 1k at the same time. Would that kind of trick the system into making all the funds available right away?

This was would depend on the bank... some it would, others go by deposit total per day.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics