Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Mishpacha- pleasantly surprised
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 9:51 am
leah233 wrote:
I find it very difficult to believe that someone who is too frum to read Mishpacha would say "the NYT is like his Bible," he reads it every day cover to cover to a secular publication . Can you provide a link?

I'm on my phone so can't link now but can try later when I'm home.
I read it several years ago prior to 2016 bec the big thing discussed was whether or not Jewish pub would publish pictures of Hillary if she became president. It was an overall article about Orthodox media. Written by Ari something (forgot his last name), who is frum and years ago was a NYT reporter, but left to write for a magazine, maybe based in Boston?
Anyway, I guess I can tell you (since he had no problem with his statements being published in the article) this was Pinchas Lipschitz who said it, as the Yated was one of those being written up. Yes, I do remember he specifically used the term "Bible" because honestly I was surprised. I think Mishpacha and Hamodia were featured as well, I don't recall if Ami was.
I can see later this afternoon if I can dig it up.

leah233

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 9:52 am
watergirl wrote:
You are misreading what she said. She did not say he was too frum to read Mishpacha. She said he was an editor of one of the publications which someone else, who would not read mishpacha would read. . The statement was made by the publisher of the other magazine, and it was made when he was being interviewed by a secular publication.

My guess is that he does not read the NYT but he said it to appear smarter or more worldly.

Well considering that people who are too frum to read Mishpacha would read the Readers Digest being the editor of such a publication doesn't make you too frum. It just means you avoid certain controversies

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 9:52 am
watergirl wrote:
You are misreading what she said. She did not say he was too frum to read Mishpacha. She said he was an editor of one of the publications which someone else, who would not read mishpacha would read. . The statement was made by the publisher of the other magazine, and it was made when he was being interviewed by a secular publication.

My guess is that he does not read the NYT but he said it to appear smarter or more worldly.

Nope, he said it all right. He reads it everyday.

watergirl

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 9:56 am
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Nope, he said it all right. He reads it everyday.

I didn't say I doubt he made the statement. I said I think it was said to sound more worldly and is not true.

But to be honest, I said this before you came and said who made the statement. I was thinking about a different editor who is known to lie. Pinchas Lipschitz, I'm sure is not lying and meant it.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 12:22 pm
Found it!
https://www.cjr.org/the_featur.....s.php

I forgot, the Ami was also featured. Interestingly, most of them said if there were to be a female president they would indeed publish her photo.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 12:25 pm
watergirl wrote:
I didn't say I doubt he made the statement. I said I think it was said to sound more worldly and is not true.

But to be honest, I said this before you came and said who made the statement. I was thinking about a different editor who is known to lie. Pinchas Lipschitz, I'm sure is not lying and meant it.

Sorry, I misread your comment. I first thought you were talking about the editor, not the reader who eschews Mishpacha but will still read the Yated. I'm sure there a few Yated readers who do read the NYT but probably most do not....

scruffy

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 12:32 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Found it!
https://www.cjr.org/the_featur.....s.php

I forgot, the Ami was also featured. Interestingly, most of them said if there were to be a female president they would indeed publish her photo.

This was a really interesting and well balanced article. Thanks for linking!

imorethanamother

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 12:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was pleasantly surprised that Mishpacha published 2 letters to the editor this week.
The first was about promoting for teachers to work in public schools, while there is an ongoing crisis in finding teachers to work for our Yeshivos.
The second was a letter from a formerly frum father, saying how detrimental it is to cut children off from a parent who had gone OTD.

Thoughts?

I know this wasn’t your intention, but this thread has devolved into lots of accusations and lashon hara against a Jewish owned business.

If you don’t like mishpacha, you aren’t obligated to buy it. If you want to tell other people what’s wrong with them, maybe this isn’t a great idea during the nine days, or really any time of the year. Not every opinion has to be shared.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 1:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I mean when spouses fight that the other spouse should not have any custody at all. What term is that?

Sadly, not a very friendly term usually.

My kids have an OTD father.

We never fought regarding custody and although it would have been easier for me, it would not have been the best interest for dc. I encourage a relationship with their father when they are young, and they decide their own terms when they become teenagers. Although deep down I wish they spend as least as possible time in his home. Officially its 50/50 time at each parent

Would he respect them being frum fully, it'd defenetly be easier on them, but it creates an impression on them instead.

Fighting is never in the dcs best interest!!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 1:40 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
I know this wasn’t your intention, but this thread has devolved into lots of accusations and lashon hara against a Jewish owned business.

If you don’t like mishpacha, you aren’t obligated to buy it. If you want to tell other people what’s wrong with them, maybe this isn’t a great idea during the nine days, or really any time of the year. Not every opinion has to be shared.

Everyone can do whatever they want, and share whatever opinion they have.
I asked for peoples thoughts.
I didn’t expect the thread to be an echo chamber.

imorethanamother

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 3:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Everyone can do whatever they want, and share whatever opinion they have.
I asked for peoples thoughts.
I didn’t expect the thread to be an echo chamber.

Wouldn’t it upset you if I shared my opinion with your boss that they should fire you because you’re terrible? Why is this different?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 3:06 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
Wouldn’t it upset you if I shared my opinion with your boss that they should fire you because you’re terrible? Why is this different?

Because nobody shared that anyone should be fired?

People shared opinions if they agree or disagree about articles and the directions magazines are taking.
There were always be supporters and haters.
I don’t see why anyone would get fired over that.

Really not getting your point at all.
Are you personally invested here?

amother
Tuberose

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 3:10 pm
The thread is ridiculous.

I personally think that posting that letter might not have been made in best judgement. While there is room for conversation on it, I don't think it's the right forum.

But, all the other accusations here of trying to brainwash you to be more progressive (worse than secular publications lol!) and accusing them of promoting NYT are off the wall. As well as the one suggesting that Mishpachas themselves are started all these threads here.

I'm kind of starting to wonder whether there are posters here affilliated with other publications, who don't like seeing that Mishpacha is generating so much conversation here recently.

cupcake123

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 3:15 pm
I subscribe to mishpacha and read it pretty much cover to cover every week. I enjoy it and I'm not canceling it anytime soon.
The letters to the editor didnt bother me but I thought it was weird.
The writer saying how great the NYT is that bothered me. NYT is known to be a horrible anti semitic paper.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 3:25 pm
cupcake123 wrote:

The writer saying how great the NYT is that bothered me. NYT is known to be a horrible anti semitic paper.

They're really not. Anti Israel, yes they definitely have a bias. But they're not anti Semitic--most Jewish related articles are positive. (I read the NYT, too. I also got the cheap subscription that Eytan Kobre has--$1 weekly. It's a quality paper and enjoyable to read.) Some of the online commenters may be antisemitic but whenever I've flagged a comment about "the hasids" or such, it's always been removed. They get upwards of 1,000 comments for many articles so that happens once in awhile. It's easy to criticize something you don't read, but you may be off the mark.
I think he just needed a subject for his column and he was looking for an interesting angle. No reason to overthink it.

amother
Mulberry

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 7:52 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:

But I was wondering, the one person I know that teaches in Public School, she teaches till 4 on Friday, Erev Yom Tov till crazy hours, Chol Hamoed. So...

There's nothing special about teaching and teachers are far from the only ones geting home 15 minutes before licht on Friday. People who work full time in any capacity in the velt have to make arrangements, whether they're nurses, teachers or auto mechanics. When I started working and hadn't accumulated much leave time, I worked later erev YT than my nonJewish coworker married to a nonobservant Jew, because she was going to her inlaws for the holiday dinner.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 8:01 pm
amother [ Mulberry ] wrote:
There's nothing special about teaching and teachers are far from the only ones geting home 15 minutes before licht on Friday. People who work full time in any capacity in the velt have to make arrangements, whether they're nurses, teachers or auto mechanics. When I started working and hadn't accumulated much leave time, I worked later erev YT than my nonJewish coworker married to a nonobservant Jew, because she was going to her inlaws for the holiday dinner.

I know several people who work in the public school system. Yes, they work Friday afternoons, erev YT, chol hamoed, but so do people in plenty of other professions, as you said. The only difference is, it's a pretty rigid schedule and it's not so easy to take off and leave an hour early, you can't just make up the time on another day or by coming in earlier etc. So, the ones that I know were picky about location/commute time and/or school hours. For example, public middle and high schools usually have an earlier start time to the school day, so they have an earlier dismissal time. They make it work, just like the rest of us who've worked in secular workplaces.

I remember a thread from a few months back where a teacher was going to leave her frum school teaching job to work at a public school for this coming year, as her family needed the higher salary and benefits. I wonder what ended up happening, if she found a job, and how things work out. Would love for her to provide an update, it would be really interesting and potentially very helpful for anyone else considering the same.

I can tell you that there are major teacher shortages in public schools across the country, so it shouldn't be too hard to get hired. It's all over the news, including the NYT Cool
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room