Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Want to join this diet plan?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 2:04 am
Over many years, I have tried many diets. I have been successful on only a handful. (Successful meaning that I was able to stick to it and lose a lot of weight. ) I eventually always gained back the wight when I got pregnant again.

Of those diets that worked for me, I would say that the easiest of all was a program called Slimming world. I know it's not so well known in America, but apparently it's very popular in England. It's supposed to be as popular as Weight Watchers there, and they also have weekly meetings and weigh ins. I first did this diet over 20 years ago after a baby and lost all my baby weight. It doesnt requure counting, weighing or measuring. the categories were super simple to remember. It doesn't require you to eat any weird foods, and it has allowances for treats. It's somewhat similar to weight watchers but WW requires you to count points. (I know that things have changed at WW. I'm referring to the point system.)

Has anyone ever heard of it ? I think I'd like to go on it again. I have 60 + lbs to lose and I'm so tired of starving myself on unsustainable diets.

I would love to do it with others if people are interested.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 7:56 am
Quickly looked it up. Pasta and potatoes are free foods?? Sounds too good to be true! How does it work?

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 9:17 am
As long as a third of it is veg and certain fruits, its very very limited oil and sugar, idk how it works but ive been part of the group on and off for years and anyone that sticks to it 100% loses well

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 1:30 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Quickly looked it up. Pasta and potatoes are free foods?? Sounds too good to be true! How does it work?

So when I was on it years ago, the plan was different. There was something called Red days and Green days. It was somewhat more limiting than the plan they have today.
But from what I can tell, they discontinued that.
From what I remember, the plan works because of something called "satiation".
They allow you to fill up freely on all the foods that are good for you without limiting you at all. No food group is off limits. You feel more satiated when you have a carb with the protien, as opposed to just one, even if the calorie content is the same.

So basically, you can have unlimited fruits, vegetable, many grains, protiens, and even some starches like potatoes and rice. As long as it's cooked without fat.
Then there's "healthy extra" which are some dairy and complex starches like bread or cereal which we do have to measure. Roughly you get 2 portions of the bread/cereal/crackers per day, and one portion of dairy.

Fat and sugary stuff are obviously not allowed, but they have something called "syns" which allow you to have a treat every day. So you get let's say 10 syns and you can use it towards oil, dressing, mayo or a donut. (All of these things have different syn values. ) you can also save up your syns for shabbos.

This is just a rough outline. It truly is as simple as it seems. I did very well on it, but that was many years ago and I'm over 40 now, and have a lot of weight to lose.
But I'm excited to try it again now.

crust

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 1:46 pm
I remember being on this plan many years ago. I do not remember if I lost weight or not but I am interested in having a partner to diet with and from what I read online it is similar to what I am doing right now.

I am not here as often but if you pm me I will log in iyh once I see your pm.

amother
Dahlia

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 2:09 pm
I am interested in hearing more about this diet.
Definitely need a sane way to lose now.
is there a book? or a website?
Do you need to join a group in person? (if so, then I think it's not for me)

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 2:28 pm
I looked at it very quickly but it looks very good and I’m over 50 and I have a lot of weight to lose and this looks like something that I would be able to stick with I think maybe I would give it a try.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 3:44 pm
amother [ Dahlia ] wrote:
I am interested in hearing more about this diet.
Definitely need a sane way to lose now.
is there a book? or a website?
Do you need to join a group in person? (if so, then I think it's not for me)

There is a website slimmingworld.com

All the info is there.
Like WW, they want you to join a weekly group. But you can go it alone.
I actually found something "slimming world , going it alone" something like that. Google it.
She spells it all out.
But there's not much more to it.
Just the lists.
Print out the list of free food. You can Google it.
Then print out the list of "healthy extras"
And "syns" . You get between 10 and 15 syns.. I think 15 if you're nursing.
I would just stick to 10.

Oh.
Fruits: you can only eat it "whole from the bowl" . No blended, cooked or dried fruit. Frozen is ok.

Veggies:prepare any way you like just no oil.

Protiens : choose lean cuts of meat. Supposed to eat at least 3 servings of fish a week, and one oily fish. LoX is free!

I think that's basically it.

crust

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 3:57 pm
https://www.justaveragejen.com.....uides

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 4:04 pm
A typical day:
Breakfast would be cereal like fiber one or bran flakes with milk, and maybe some eggs and fruit.

Lunch: a tuna sandwich, or pita with cheese.
With a large salad.

Supper: chicken or fish with baked potatoes and spinach or green beans.
Soups are free as well.

Dessert: whatever you like just count it towards syns.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Sun, Oct 23 2022, 11:29 am
Is there any way to get this diet without signing up? Or if I do sign up does it have a money back guarantee? I'm just fed up with the spending on diets that don't work for me I've spent thousands already.

amother
Pear

Post Sun, Oct 23 2022, 11:43 am
amother Scarlet wrote:

Sounds like CICO
Carbs are 4 cal per gram
Fats 9 cal. per gram
How much potato/pasta/starch plain with no fat can you eat to equal 1200 cal.
I think 3 cups dry/before cooking
There’s you answer
It’s basically cal in-cal out

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Oct 23 2022, 1:19 pm
I don’t see this working for me personally. This is basically the way I eat, just eliminating oil completely. I’m not sure such a small change would make a difference.

I tend to overeat carbs. I can eat LOTS of pasta or potatoes if in my mind it’s a “free” food. Well over 1200 cal. I find I have more success dieting if I cut out the foods I tend to overeat (white carbs!) and stick to carbs like quinoa and sweet potatoes, which I am less likely to eat tons of.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise