Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Eggs in UK/Europe - how to buy kosher eggs
1  2  Next

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 12:41 pm
DH and my kids will be in Switzerland, Germany, Austria, and France for a trip. They will bring most of the food but were wondering how to find kosher eggs in Europe. Can any of the Europeans on this website chime how to get kosher eggs there or what kind of eggs would be kosher? TIA!

amother
Wandflower

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 12:51 pm
In the UK we avoid the brown ones - white are a safer bet (but I still check).

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 12:58 pm
amother [ Wandflower ] wrote:
In the UK we avoid the brown ones - white are a safer bet (but I still check).

Are all white eggs in stores kosher? I was under the impression that in USA, all white eggs were kosher but not all white eggs in Europe were kosher. Thank you!

chanchy123

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 1:02 pm
A question from an obviously uniformed Israeli - how can eggs (I’m assuming Chicken eggs) be UNkosher?

amother
Maple

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 1:09 pm
Buy any egg and check it.
Most white eggs have bo blood in them

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 1:18 pm
Obviously all chicken eggs are kosher but in Europe do they sell “unchicken” eggs? How can you tell the difference? Thank you.

chanchy123

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 1:21 pm
Tries2BGoodMom wrote:
Obviously all chicken eggs are kosher but in Europe do they sell “unchicken” eggs? How can you tell the difference? Thank you.

What kind of other eggs do you think you’d find in a random supermarket? I’m assuming non-chicken eggs would be specialty items.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 1:24 pm
Eggs are fine, as long as they've been checked for bloodspots before using. Although apparently there might be an issue with the ink used to print the codes onto the eggs, so I would check it's okay.

leilatov1

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 1:27 pm
The kosher stores sell white eggs. When we are away in Europe I buy brown eggs and normally find blood spots.
But all eggs (from chickens) are Kosher

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 1:34 pm
Thank you very much everyone. My Dh and kids won’t be in any kosher stores but I will tell him to check that eggs are from chickens.

Debbie

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 1:42 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
What kind of other eggs do you think you’d find in a random supermarket? I’m assuming non-chicken eggs would be specialty items.

I lived in England for over fifty years before making aliyah, and not once did I see anything other than chicken eggs in the general supermarkets.
As you say Chancy 123 other eggs are a speciality item and most likely to be found in shops such as Wholefoods or other health food places.

Chickensoupprof

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 1:44 pm
Avoid the brown ones and buy only white ones. That is what we do.

amother
Maple

Tries2BGoodMom wrote:
Thank you very much everyone. My Dh and kids won’t be in any kosher stores but I will tell him to check that eggs are from chickens.

Non chicken eggs look different

I really think this is a none issue

DrMom

Why would brown eggs gave a higher probability of containing blood spots than white eggs? I didn't think there was any difference.

Raisin

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 2:36 pm
Its really hard for me to find white eggs. Brown eggs have lots of brown bits and blobs. Might not be blood spots but its pretty gross. If its in white I take it out. Red on yolk I throw away.

amother
Daylily

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 2:37 pm
DrMom wrote:
Why would brown eggs gave a higher probability of containing blood spots than white eggs? I didn't think there was any difference.

Before eggs are sold, they have a light shined on them to checl for large blood spots. It's harder to see them in brown eggs. Also, the breeds that produce brown eggs are more likely to have blood spots.

amother
Rainbow

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 2:58 pm
In non Jewish areas in Europe it's hard to find white eggs. Mostly brown are available and those often have blood spots, which can be frustrating. Good luck!

amother
Molasses

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 3:04 pm
Not all breeds of chickens are kosher. Therefore not all chicken eggs are kosher! Huge misconception! No idea about Europe and what kind off chickens are used. But it certainly isn't an imamother question.

DrMom

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 3:27 pm
amother [ Molasses ] wrote:
Not all breeds of chickens are kosher. Therefore not all chicken eggs are kosher! Huge misconception! No idea about Europe and what kind off chickens are used. But it certainly isn't an imamother question.

Which breeds of chickens are not kosher? Are we talking actual chickens, or something like a chickenhawk, which is not actually a chicken? And are these non-kosher birds likely to be used for standard supermarket eggs?

DrMom

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 3:35 pm
amother [ Daylily ] wrote:
Before eggs are sold, they have a light shined on them to checl for large blood spots. It's harder to see them in brown eggs. Also, the breeds that produce brown eggs are more likely to have blood spots.

Makes sense. Thank you!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics