Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
I had Fleishigs Last night...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 2:13 pm
At the saddest yartzeit seuda ever. My best friend lost her son two years ago, the yartzeit falls out during the nine days. Her husband makes a siyum at the seuda L’Ilui Nishmas his son. I would prefer to eat nothing but bread and water for the entire nine days with this young man alive, rather than sit and eat meat at this kind of siyum.

I am very much looking forward to making a siyum in Yerushalayim on this day instead, with Nachman Yisroel ben Dovid Z"L sitting with us, and anticipate the coming Yom Tov in the Beis HaMikdash.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 7:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
At the saddest yartzeit seuda ever. My best friend lost her son two years ago, the yartzeit falls out during the nine days. Her husband makes a siyum at the seuda L’Ilui Nishmas his son. I would prefer to eat nothing but bread and water for the entire nine days with this young man alive, rather than sit and eat meat at this kind of siyum.

I am very much looking forward to making a siyum in Yerushalayim on this day instead, with Nachman Yisroel ben Dovid Z"L sitting with us, and anticipate the coming Yom Tov in the Beis HaMikdash.

Amen.

This is new to me. I understood that only men count for a Siyum and can eat fleishigs

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 7:06 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Amen.

This is new to me. I understood that only men count for a Siyum and can eat fleishigs

Anyone who hears the siyum can eat- men, women, and children. Some people (like us) hold it only counts if you are there in person, while others hold you can hear it over the phone, watch on zoom, etc.
OP, I’m so so sorry for your friend’s loss. The family should find comfort, and no one should ever know such pain.

amother
Anemone

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 7:37 pm
May his neshama have an Aliya.
I’m sure having you there by her side was a great source of comfort to your friend.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 8:21 pm
amother [ Anemone ] wrote:
May his neshama have an Aliya.
I’m sure having you there by her side was a great source of comfort to your friend.

Amen.

amother
Tomato

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 8:39 pm
I can empathize in a way. My brother was niftar a couple of years ago at a relatively young age. He was single and us remaining siblings were his heirs. I would rather my brother be alive ad meah v'esrim than touch a penny of that money. It took me months to be able to fill out the necessary paperwork and I only did so because I was pressured by a parent who wanted it dealt with.

Big hugs for you being there to support your friend. I'm sure it wasn't easy for you either.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note