Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Latest backpack / school bag for teen girls.
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 12:33 pm
What’s this years style and what company is in?

Thx in advance.

amother
Holly

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 12:41 pm
Lululemon

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 1:00 pm
Thanks. Anyone else?

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 6:13 pm
Bump for lower elementary

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 24 2022, 1:34 pm
Bump for teen
Bump for lower elementary

With it school …

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 3:20 am
I’d love to know the same. What is in for elementary girls in Lakewood?

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 3:53 am
Wondering the same for my fifth grade daughter...she specifically asked for a new knapsack that was more in but I don't know (and neither does she) what's in. An older thread here said Herschel or Kipling but I don't know if that's current and if so, what styles.

fish

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 5:02 am
My teen daughter said EVERYONE got big name backpacks for this year. Marc Jacobs, Tory Burch ect. So thank you to all those parents that are making things more difficult for others by buying into their daughters ridiculous demands.

amother
Bellflower

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 5:23 am
This is sad. If the child doesn't even know what's "in" it's clearly not that important to her. Why make it a bigger thing than it actually is? Buy what she likes.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 5:27 am
amother [ Bellflower ] wrote:
This is sad. If the child doesn't even know what's "in" it's clearly not that important to her. Why make it a bigger thing than it actually is? Buy what she likes.

This is false. My 10 year old tells me her lands end bag isn't cool and she wants one like the other girls, but she isn't able to tell me what it is. She's asking me to figure out. I'm not pushing her, I literally don't know and don't care. But if it bothered her enough to ask, I'd like to get her what makes her feel comfortable and confident.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 5:27 am
fish wrote:
My teen daughter said EVERYONE got big name backpacks for this year. Marc Jacobs, Tory Burch ect. So thank you to all those parents that are making things more difficult for others by buying into their daughters ridiculous demands.

Everyone knows that only those with trendy backpacks are worth being friends with... Ugh, I think these schools should make backpack rules. Blah blah,let kids have some individualism and choices, more like let kids spend insane amounts to have the latest (often ugly or nothing special) trending backpack.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 5:30 am
This thread makes me sad.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 7:50 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
This is false. My 10 year old tells me her lands end bag isn't cool and she wants one like the other girls, but she isn't able to tell me what it is. She's asking me to figure out. I'm not pushing her, I literally don't know and don't care. But if it bothered her enough to ask, I'd like to get her what makes her feel comfortable and confident.

I found that the pressure starts around that age. Up until 5th grade my girls were fine with Lands End or Target or whatever - the designer didn't matter - they just picked something to their taste. Around age 10 or so they start getting designer crazy. Back then Kiplings were in (I don't think they are anymore) so I got them a Kipling and they used them for the rest of elementary school, so at least it was worth the price. (and my DD still uses her Kipling as a trip bag. And it's still in perfect condition, more than 10 years later.)

With youngest DD, Herschels were in in upper elementary school. And B"H you can often find them on sale in the $30 to $40 range which isn't such a bank-breaker. Yeah there are more expensive ones out there too that are "more" in but you don't have to be the coolest kid ever - Herschel was good enough.

amother
Crocus

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 7:51 am
fish wrote:

I agree with you. Why, oh why, are parents allowing this? So many families are in bad financial situations, we're struggling with inflation, and parents are just continuing to buy their kids ridiculously priced brand name items. That's crazy. And I don't believe that everyone can afford it.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 7:54 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Everyone knows that only those with trendy backpacks are worth being friends with... Ugh, I think these schools should make backpack rules. Blah blah,let kids have some individualism and choices, more like let kids spend insane amounts to have the latest (often ugly or nothing special) trending backpack.

I'm totally not a believer in schools making more rules like this. It's my job to enforce whatever values/chinuch I want to impart (which, in our case, is that you don't have to be the biggest neb on the block, nor are you going to be the absolute coolest. We aim for mid-range. We don't do crazy designer.)

Chayalle

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 7:56 am
fish wrote:

My teen daughter is going into hs this year, and has been offered a lululemon backpack from a family member (not me) as a gift. She's actually thinking of going with something cheaper because she feels that every next girl's gonna have the same backpack, which doesn't interest her.

It's like when everyone's gonna have the same ridiculous bag, it's not cool.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 7:58 am
Chayalle wrote:
I found that the pressure starts around that age. Up until 5th grade my girls were fine with Lands End or Target or whatever - the designer didn't matter - they just picked something to their taste. Around age 10 or so they start getting designer crazy. Back then Kiplings were in (I don't think they are anymore) so I got them a Kipling and they used them for the rest of elementary school, so at least it was worth the price. (and my DD still uses her Kipling as a trip bag. And it's still in perfect condition, more than 10 years later.)

With youngest DD, Herschels were in in upper elementary school. And B"H you can often find them on sale in the $30 to $40 range which isn't such a bank-breaker. Yeah there are more expensive ones out there too that are "more" in but you don't have to be the coolest kid ever - Herschel was good enough.

Double post

amother
Garnet

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 8:01 am
It's up to us as parents to teach our kids to be confident. I asked my daughter if she wanted to get some things for sleep away camp because I saw on here that everyone is getting them. She said I don't need to be like everyone else I'll get what I like. Then I remembered how I raised her and how I suddenly let imamother get to me and convince me I was being a horrible mother by making my kid the nebach. She is popular and loved and people copy our not cool style. Teach your kids to be the leader not the follower and spend less time on here because it's a negative influence.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 8:02 am
Chayalle wrote:
I'm totally not a believer in schools making more rules like this. It's my job to enforce whatever values/chinuch I want to impart (which, in our case, is that you don't have to be the biggest neb on the block, nor are you going to be the absolute coolest. We aim for mid-range. We don't do crazy designer.)

Can you be my mentor? You are so wise! I love this philosophy and I hope to be able to implement it for myself and my family! My kids are young but as they grow, this is perfect!

amother
Sage

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 8:10 am
Just as a tip from someone who grew up not wealthy. If your kid really cares about this stuff but absolutely can not or will not buy high end: buy a backpack with no label on it, versus one that is clearly lower end. The unknown brand will be better than one that screams walmart
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics