Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
What are you serving for shalosh seudos?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Almond

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 3:50 pm
Sourdough
Stewed Chicken Liver (only for those who are interested)
Egg Salad
Potato Salad
Vegetable Salad
Sautéed Mushroom Egg Salad
Honeydew Melon

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 4:28 pm
onion rolls
avocado and tuna
sushi salad
watermelon and grapes.

anything from the fridge.

heidi

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 4:38 pm
How is everyone serving soup for seuda shlishit? That's a heck of a lot of hours on a hot plate.
We're having schnitzel, mashed potatoes and rice.

amother
Snowflake

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 4:39 pm
heidi wrote:
How is everyone serving soup for seuda shlishit? That's a heck of a lot of hours on a hot plate.
We're having schnitzel, mashed potatoes and rice.

How are you warming the mashed potatoes and rice?

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 4:45 pm
amother [ Snowflake ] wrote:

I will heat up my shepherd's pie on an overturned disposable pan on the plata.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 4:46 pm
heidi wrote:

I'm planning on a cold soup. Hydrating and refreshing.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 5:09 pm
Hey hugger!!

You missed some!

This is not Instagram where your likes can be saved for future dinner ideas.

heidi

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 5:10 pm

Teimanim are allowed to heat liquids on shabbat.
I personally have not heard of other Orthodox Jews doing so.
Which means leaving the soup on the blech/plata from before shabbat. Which sounds like a breeding ground of germs to me.
Mashed potatoes and rice and shnitzel for that matter are dry foods and thus permitted in Ashkenazik tradition to be heated up on the plata.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 5:13 pm
My husband requested fish and pasta, and I also put some fruit on the menu- cantaloupe, watermelon, grapes….I’ve been trying to drink, but everything I drink gives me heartburn….

SG18

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 5:25 pm

I'm Sephardi and use an oven on Shabbat (I said earlier that I'm preparing schnitzel, rice, and potatoes). I don't understand how Ashkenazim will have soup, curious to hear, as well!

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 5:54 pm
heidi wrote:
Teimanim are allowed to heat liquids on shabbat.
I personally have not heard of other Orthodox Jews doing so.
Which means leaving the soup on the blech/plata from before shabbat. Which sounds like a breeding ground of germs to me.
Mashed potatoes and rice and shnitzel for that matter are dry foods and thus permitted in Ashkenazik tradition to be heated up on the plata.

Ashkenazim are not allowed to heat even dry foods directly on the plata. Only on top of something else, according to Mishna Brura and Shmirat Shabbat Kehilchata.
Sfardim that hold by Rav Ovadia Yosef do heat up dry foods directly on the plata. Or even foods where the majority is dry and the gravy is minor to the dish.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 5:56 pm
ChossidMom wrote:
Ashkenazim are not allowed to heat even dry foods directly on the plata. Only on top of something else, according to Mishna Brura and Shmirat Shabbat Kehilchata.
Sfardim that hold by Rav Ovadia Yosef do heat up dry foods directly on the plata. Or even foods where the majority is dry and the gravy is minor to the dish.

Some kosher shabbos platas are designed with the halachos in mind so that ashkenazim can heat dry foods directly on them even on shabbos.

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 5:57 pm
I am talking about the standard electric plata. I don't know what else is out there in the U.S.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 5:57 pm
SG18 wrote:
I'm Sephardi and use an oven on Shabbat (I said earlier that I'm preparing schnitzel, rice, and potatoes). I don't understand how Ashkenazim will have soup, curious to hear, as well!

In a crockpot from the start of shabbos

amother
NeonOrange

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 6:06 pm
salt wrote:
Same as we do every shabbat, all year round, for all 3 seudot. Electric hotplate (plata).

I am continuously surprised that so many people on imamother ask how to warm up food on shabbat. I really always thought everyone uses a plata like we do!

Not everyone knows how to do it in a halachically appropriate way… you can’t put it directly on the hot plate after shabbos starts, and all the other halachos.

amother
Leaf

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 6:15 pm
amother [ NeonOrange ] wrote:
Not everyone knows how to do it in a halachically appropriate way… you can’t put it directly on the hot plate after shabbos starts, and all the other halachos.

Are you talking about dry foods? I’m yeshivish ashkenazi and my rav holds we can put dry foods directly on at any point. Even people who don’t put on directly-it’s very easy to line with foil/inverted pans. I’m confused what you mean by your post?

amother
Peony

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 6:19 pm
Our Rav prefers that we invert a pan if putting the food on the Plata (no temperature knob) on Shabbos itself, but said if it wouldn't heat up the food well and therefore not provide oneg Shabbos, then we can skip the pan. (Mainstream yeshivish)

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 6:27 pm
ChossidMom wrote:
I am talking about the standard electric plata. I don't know what else is out there in the U.S.

I don’t know what a plata is. We use our warming drawer, and we also put a metal sheet over a fire and put food in there just not directly over where the flame is.

amother
Bergamot

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 6:27 pm
healthminded wrote:
Interesting no one is serving strawberries with sour cream.
My DH is talking about it for weeks, & seems like most people do it

I've never heard of anyone eating this ever, let alone before a fast.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 6:31 pm
amother [ Bergamot ] wrote:
I've never heard of anyone eating this ever, let alone before a fast.

Childhood memories of shalosh seudos..mmm...
We didn't eat this dish before a fast, just enjoyed the cold sweet treat on late shabbos afternoons.
It's the old fashioned version of strawberries and whipped cream, when ready dairy chalav yisroel whipped cream didn't exist.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note