Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Playgroup raising price last minute, how is this fair?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 10:42 am
amother [ Trillium ] wrote:
I have a playgroup in Lakewood and gave a price when ppl registered back in October. I'm a little disappointed because I think my price is lower than average in my neighborhood but I would never dream of raising it now!
It's not acceptable.
Otoh I do not understand any mother than gives a deposit and sign a registration form without a set price.
As a mother I would definitely not trust to leave my child everyday with a morah that raise her price by 40% in the middle of August.
Unfortunately the situation in Lakewood is that even if everyone pulls out, she will find another 8 mothers willing to pay the crazy price either because they could afford it or most likely because they can't find any morah and can't remain unemployed for lack of childcare.
Crying very sad to read about these kind of business!

The bolded- she did give a set price and then raised it last minute.

To everyone else, I would have no issue with a diplomatic apologetic request of a $50 raise. Even $100 would probably pass, though it would be harder.
But $200 per month? Without any prior communication? Just a text saying (the gist of it)
sorry I'm gonna have to close but you can come back for the new high price?
That's what I'm upset about.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 10:49 am
amother [ NeonOrange ] wrote:
This is why playgroups should do registration Pesach time.
The place I work at (a Brooklyn playgroup) didn't accept children/send out contracts til right after Shavuos. People called for months. She took down their info and called them back when she knew her pricing and all. She didn't want to commit to a pricd til she knew more where inflation was going... Over here it's not as nuts as Lakewood, but Purim-pesach time is standard.

I agree. I would much rather have registration even shavuos time or later. Everyone can set realistic prices they will stick to and then I can make an informed decision of what I can afford and what I want to do.
Alas I can't change the system, but maybe enough Morahs got burnt this year and they will refuse to open registration early.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 10:52 am
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Craziest part is that if a morah takes ten kids, no assistant, raises everyone $200 a month that means she’s giving herself a $20k raise.

I think I’m in the wrong business... I don’t get $20k raises!

I've been around the block and am old enough to understand this isn't how it works.
I'll be the first to say there's no such a thing as easy money.
Again, everyone is entitled to charge what they want. As long as you are not roping me in and then changing the price on me when it's too late for me to have other options.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 10:53 am
amother [ Mimosa ] wrote:
I’m a playgroup morah too . Every year kept my price as told by registration . This year also in a Big dilemma what to do . When I took registration in November I didn’t dream my grocery bill will triple! And my teacher will demand a huge raise … everything went up so drastically that suddenly the income is nearly none! I’m thinking to call moms but would definitely not raise price more then $50 a month. I feel bad it so last minute .. but it’s necessary to keep the playgroup going. A $200 I do think is not fair ! That’s taking it way to drastic. Just curious would u understand a $50 increase at this point? And not be mad even it’s pretty late?

Like I said I would understand a $50 raise and not be mad.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 11:03 am
Cmon be nice wrote:
Things have gone up so much since you registered, dont know if her expenses went up or shes trying to charge like everybody else. Though wonder what other playgroups are doing, as u have to register months in advance, as opposed to school contracts which have only come out in the past month with higher registration.

I've asked around a bit and others are paying less. Obviously you can always find prices on both ends of the spectrum but the original price wasn't crazy cheap.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 3:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I've asked around a bit and others are paying less. Obviously you can always find prices on both ends of the spectrum but the original price wasn't crazy cheap.

How much could a Morah's (playgroup related) expenses have gone up already?

Parent's pay an additional fee for supplies, and most Morahs do not supply lunch. I understand that the cost of an assistant or rent may have gone up, so raising prices is understandable, but as long as it is on par with general inflation.

What I really do not understand is the concept of Morahs drastically increasing their prices because their personal expenses have increased. I used to teach, and as my expenses increased, I moved on to a higher paying field. It is bizarre to expect parents to cover all your living expenses. What if you are making a wedding for a child? Do you increase your yearly tuition to include the extra 60,000 that the wedding will cost you?

amother
Trillium

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 3:53 pm
amother [ DarkPurple ] wrote:
How much could a Morah's (playgroup related) expenses have gone up already?

Parent's pay an additional fee for supplies, and most Morahs do not supply lunch. I understand that the cost of an assistant or rent may have gone up, so raising prices is understandable, but as long as it is on par with general inflation.

What I really do not understand is the concept of Morahs drastically increasing their prices because their personal expenses have increased. I used to teach, and as my expenses increased, I moved on to a higher paying field. It is bizarre to expect parents to cover all your living expenses. What if you are making a wedding for a child? Do you increase your yearly tuition to include the extra 60,000 that the wedding will cost you?

Totally agree with you.
If I get full time cleaning help because my house needs to be clean for daycare, is that a work expense?
If my A/C or heat is on all day, is that a work expense?
If I make fancy arts and crafts that need laminating on a weekly basis, can I pass on cost to parents? (BTW when my own kids come home from school with expensive projects I'm very annoyed!!)
I understand about paying an assistant but I don't understand why an assistant makes $35/h!!! That's nuts!
Being a morah is a service, costs are not what explain the price difference!

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 4:29 pm
Speak to a Rov this is outrageous Mad

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 9:16 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Speak to a Rov this is outrageous Mad

I did and he said she is totally wrong. She must definitely return my deposit at the very least. So far still waiting.
I'm not gonna force her to take my child at a lower rate. My child is precious and adorable and deserves to be in a place that wants them wholeheartedly.
Do part time options exist for playgroups? Anyone know?

amother
Moonstone

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 9:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do part time options exist for playgroups? Anyone know?

OP was this a regular playgroup or a part time playgroup?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 9:44 pm
amother [ Moonstone ] wrote:
OP was this a regular playgroup or a part time playgroup?

Regular. But I'm thinking if all playgroups are so crazy expensive maybe I should look for part time, if such a thing exists.

amother
Acacia

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 10:17 pm
They don’t really exist . You can try to make one and then find a morah .

amother
Blushpink

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 10:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The bolded- she did give a set price and then raised it last minute.

To everyone else, I would have no issue with a diplomatic apologetic request of a $50 raise. Even $100 would probably pass, though it would be harder.
But $200 per month? Without any prior communication? Just a text saying (the gist of it)
sorry I'm gonna have to close but you can come back for the new high price?
That's what I'm upset about.

I have to close but you can come back for the new higher price—who is she kidding—that’s not closing, that’s just raising the price. Sorry op.

amother
Blushpink

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 10:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Regular. But I'm thinking if all playgroups are so crazy expensive maybe I should look for part time, if such a thing exists.
When my oldest was little there were part time groups but I haven’t heard of any in a while. That was many years ago.

momof2+?

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 11:44 pm
What exactly is a part time morah? I may be interested in being one. You can pm me if it’s relevant.

amother
Diamond

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 12:05 am
The price of a service should not include the teachers personal expenses that have nothing to do with their business. I want new shoes so I will raise my price? My kid needs braces so my price goes up?
Her tuition or personal housing costs are her issue. It is not "operating at a loss" that tuition went up. If her rent (for a separate daycare location other than where she lives) went up that much, it would be a different situation. But most people sign contracts in advance for that...

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 7:56 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Im just curious.
If a school raised tuition by $1500 (150/month) would you say the same thing and tell women to pull their child because the school isn't trustworthy?

Look. I'd also be mad if the Morah raised her tuition prices significantly more than what she said. But I don't think the Morah is being untrustworthy.

I'm a babysitter. I told my parents that I charge x. Now, the first week in August, I'm first getting my tuition contracts. 4 schools. All together, I have to pay $2500 more than last year and the extra is not negotiable.
So realistically what are my options? Should I go back and tell the parents that I need to raise my prices? Should I accept an additional child? Should I quit my group entirely to get a new job? Should I take a night job, a Sunday job that will likely burn me out and leave me less energy and enthusiasm for your child? (It's actually theoretical because for my reasons, we've figured it out). But I'm really curious what you think a Morah or someone like me should do.

I think you should do whatever it takes for you to do without being unethical. It’s not their problem that you have bigger expenses. A contract is a contract. It’s bizarre to me that anyone can see it any other which way. Scratching Head
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries