Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Eli Stefansky MDY - what could we learn?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 9:57 am
If you or your husband are familiar with R Eli Stefansky’s Shiur, you know the feeling of camaraderie and community he’s built.
What can mechanchim and community leaders learn in regards to engaging community? What went right?
I’m a high school teacher and trying to understand the secret sauce to apply it to my students.

amother
Grape

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 10:15 am
First of all he is honest.
My son and his friend are listening to his shiurim. They sent him a letter and he mailed them sefarim as promised and featured them in a video.

My kids have experienced countless times how their teachers promised things and didn’t come through: parties, outings, what not.
I can’t believe how many „mechanchim“ think they can just feed teenagers promises.

voiceofreason

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 10:35 am
Following. I'm curious to know this as well.

Not_in_my_town

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 10:44 am
For my husband, it's the visuals that really speak to him. Reb Eli is a regular person who understands regular people, and he is able to bring the Gemara down to a relatable level.

My husband went from having not opened a Gemara in about 12 years to doing the Daf Yomi every single day for the last few months. He's finished 4 mesechtos already.

He can only do it because it's relatable and enjoyable.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 10:58 pm
Thanks such food for thought. Anyone else have insight?

amother
Gladiolus

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 11:10 pm
Not_in_my_town wrote:
For my husband, it's the visuals that really speak to him. Reb Eli is a regular person who understands regular people, and he is able to bring the Gemara down to a relatable level.

My husband went from having not opened a Gemara in about 12 years to doing the Daf Yomi every single day for the last few months. He's finished 4 mesechtos already.

He can only do it because it's relatable and enjoyable.

Yes it is absolutely the visuals! He breaks down everything in such a clear, simple, and easy to understand way, and all the charts, diagrams, and props provide such clarity.
I remember my high school teachers just droning on and on and on...I was a top student and I got straight 100's, but I was bored to death in class. it took so much mental effort to force myself to focus. imagine if our teachers were as interesting and engaging as R' Eli

amother
NeonPurple

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 9:03 am
The way he speaks is very engaging. He uses humor and speaks quickly. My husband has ADHD and he doesn’t get bored! Also, he can listen/watch the shiur at any time or place that works for him. In terms of this relating to chinuch for our kids, one major difference for our husbands is that they won’t be tested on the material, or called on in class, etc. They’re just learning without pressure. Maybe if some classes in school were like that, the kids would really get a lot out of it. For example, my daughter complains about her limudei kodesh classes in school, but she loves shiurim in camp. Just a thought.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics