Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Where to give maaser

justforfun87

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 2:57 pm
I am trying to do better about maaser although I'm not perfect. I had a recent payout bh and trying to figure out how to prioritize who to give to. So many stories tug at my heart. The mother with cancer who can't afford food. The kids who need a tuition boost as they are being threatened to be kicked out of school? Giving to the small yeshiva in town that barely anyone pays money to but is doing such good for the talmidim. How do you give out maaser? I know there are halachas around this but I tend to get emotional about these things.

cupcake123

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 3:04 pm
If you have any family that can use the money start there. Then for your kids yeshivas/schools or community stuff. Then whatever pulls at your heart.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 1:11 am
Some of each

Single mothers with no parnasa

family with medical challange

support a dedicated learning relative torah (and his wife and kids)

all good places!

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 1:14 am
I heard an apocryphal story about R Moshe that he lamented how few Shailahs he receives about two such important inanimate- tzedaka and Chinuch. This could be a halacha question.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 1:22 am
Personally we give the bulk of our maaser to people in a similar situation as us - families struggling to pay tuition and make it through the month. We have a list of a few families and rotate through them, giving each $100 or so at a time as we can.

I usually give $18 or $36 to the other causes that touch me. Once I gave much more to a person going through a medical condition that my son also had gone through. We also have pushkas for various tzedakos but I don't count that as part of maaser.

amother
Sand

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 2:12 am
I think family is always first. After that, maybe to people in your community.... there are halachos.... Everyone ends up giving to places that are close to their heart. I wish I had this issue. Being a single mom, I'm on the receiving end at this point and don't have enough income. Divorcees are in great need and their aren't so many people helping. If you have someone you know that is single, a little bit can go a long way!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics