Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
S/O how schools of different branches of Judaism deal with
Previous  1  2

amother
Canary

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 9:52 am
I went to a chassidish school. We did not learn hashkafa, and our teachers were saved from a lot of questions they could’ve been asked. I had many questions, though, but I never dared to bring them up even though no teacher ever told me anything like the responses above posters got. I just knew they’re questions best not asked.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 10:02 am
BY of Baltimore.
All questions were addressed with respect
We even had speakers come in to address the hard ones like rabbi mechanic and another speaker to address evolution
My school believed very strongly in דע מה להשיב.

I

KJP

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 10:09 am
I'm Chabad. I'm so thankful that in my school, questions were encouraged and answered. My HS even had a special class once a week for question answering.
I agree with the above poster, if it was asked sincerely, all questions were welcomed and answered.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 10:23 am
I went to a by-ish school that was pretty open.
Ironically, they also brought in Rabbi Mechanic, and I thought he was way more closed-minded and bullying to our questions than any one of the teachers I had.
I asked a lot of questions, and he was the only one who made me feel like there was something wrong with me for doing so.
I really hope schools aren't still bringing him in.

amother
Candycane

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 10:27 am
amother [ Mintgreen ] wrote:
What's wrong with coloring out of the line?
I love people who are intelligent. Judaism is a religion that has and gives answers. The fact is, Christianity is a religion that if you ask questions then there are no proper answers.I know because I learned about Christianity in school and I've watched things about religion.
My mother was also called אן אפיקורוס in front of the whole class in a Bais Yakov- anti chasidish school and my mother was a neb to begin with -with no friends before that already.
She B"h still remained frum etc. She got sharper and clear answers once I went to Bais brocho high school and my high school brought in project inspired to answer all the questions we had about Judaism and I'm very happy they did that!
ביסט א קלוגע פרוי און יא .
דו מעגסט און זאלסט טאקע פרעגן
This is not post ww2 anymore that anyone who asked such questions was considered a חולם ג. In order to rebuild after world war II they had to be like that because if one was religious then they're on the boat and if they're not religious they're not on the boat and that's how they were able to keep strong- today's days that doesn't work. Also asking such questions gave the teachers a sense that maybe one doesn't believe. It's not that my mother and you didn't believe, you did -you just wanted understand what you believe in which is totally fine and healthy!
https://youtu.be/NU3pSaeRooY

Rabbi Russel explains that whole theory why teens go off etc. In the link above.

There's a book called anvils of Sinai explaining a lot of things on emunah etc.

Btw
😂?yu boy וואס איז שלעכט מיט א
Lol

I like your style! Yup, I'm still chassidish but I've learned more in my years of if school than when I was in. The first time I had undisturbed access to the internet at 17 I looked up all my questions on chabad and aish. You'd think a teen would wanna see p_rn or movies. Nope, all I wanted was answers to my questions because I knew the former isn't an accurate depiction of real life and the latter would help me lead a purposeful one. Also nothing wrong with yu boys at all. Since graduating school 13 years ago I have worked with all different kinds of jews and the respect I carry for each kind of jew is huge. At the end of the day, we're all so much more similar than we give credit for.

amother
Grape

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 10:29 am
reading all these responses im so grateful for my chabad chinuch

effess

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 10:32 am
Someone mentioned that not everyone is a manis Friedman.
Although true, I don’t think teachers need to feel they need to have answers in order to make a student feel comfortable asking questions.
A teacher looking sincerely at her student and saying, “wow Bracha, that’s a great question! You’re really thinking about things. I don’t know the answer, but know, there are answers, and I’ll do my best to find it with yiu.” Can go a long way.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 10:47 am
effess wrote:
Someone mentioned that not everyone is a manis Friedman.
Although true, I don’t think teachers need to feel they need to have answers in order to make a student feel comfortable asking questions.
A teacher looking sincerely at her student and saying, “wow Bracha, that’s a great question! You’re really thinking about things. I don’t know the answer, but know, there are answers, and I’ll do my best to find it with yiu.” Can go a long way.

Yeah, I'm one of the Chabad posters from earlier in the thread and my teachers didn't necessarily have answers, but they never called us names or shamed us for asking. Sometimes they would research and that really was nice of them, otherwise they would just say that it's a great question and very valid but beyond the scope of the class and that's ok.

BrisketBoss

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 11:16 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
I went to a by-ish school that was pretty open.
Ironically, they also brought in Rabbi Mechanic, and I thought he was way more closed-minded and bullying to our questions than any one of the teachers I had.
I asked a lot of questions, and he was the only one who made me feel like there was something wrong with me for doing so.
I really hope schools aren't still bringing him in.

For more reasons than that. There are allegations against him and it's been discussed here.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 11:19 am
BrisketBoss wrote:
For more reasons than that. There are allegations against him and it's been discussed here.

Not surprised at all. Hashem yishmor

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 11:27 am
I went to a Chassidish school in BP.
Our principal would say
מיינע מיידלעך האבן נישט קיין שאלות אין אמונה
When she was asked why we don’t learn hashkafa.

I really didn’t have questions because we were so closed off to the world.

It backfired tremendously after I got married.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics