Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Rebbitzen Vichna Kaplan never expelled a Student from BYHS!
Previous  1  2

hello3

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 12:55 pm
singsong wrote:
I think Sara Shnirer and Rebbetzin Kaplan would be turning over in their graves if they would know what became of the Bais Yaakov system today.

I second this.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 12:56 pm
I think a lot of OOT community schools very very rarely expel. In town there’s more of a mindset of why should you come to MY school? Make it someone else’s problem.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 12:56 pm
singsong wrote:
I think Sara Shnirer and Rebbetzin Kaplan would be turning over in their graves if they would know what became of the Bais Yaakov system today.

Besides the expelling, theyd CRY BITTER TEARS about kids being out of school for a year or more, with no school.

While the Klal has money for everything else, theres no money to expand schools so that all girls have a school, at all times.

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 1:02 pm
amother [ Amaryllis ] wrote:
It is actually quite rare for a student to be expelled nowadays as well.

As a former Bais Yaakov student (not this particular one, but another highly regarded institution) who was expelled, I beg to differ. I was told I had to leave without ceremony and without valid reasons. The principal (who was, at that point quite elderly, and there mostly as a figurehead) of said school decided I was a 'bad influence' (on whom, and for what?), and no amount of intervention by other staff members would change this person's mind. There was no other school for me where I lived, and I had to go to school out of town. It completely changed my life. BH I feel like I turned out ok, but I wonder how different my life would have been if I had stayed in that school, living in my own home. It was truly a nightmare for my parents (who were one of the founding families, and who had previously enjoyed a good relationship with the principal and the school).
At this point in my life I've come to realize that this person was just a shaliach, and that for whatever reason that was the path I was supposed to take.

amother
Burntblack

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 1:25 pm
I was only thirteen when Rebbitzen Kaplan died so I wasn't in BYHS under her although my older sisters were. I don't remember her on a personal level but let me say this:

I remember the way things were like when she was alive. The type of people who always have complains and criticisms about schools today had plenty of complaints and criticisms about Bais Yaakov when she alive too.

I also remember hearing (possibly incorrectly) that she did not feel obligated to accept girls who had no school if the girls lived out of Boro Park saying that such girls are the responsibility of the schools more local to them.

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 1:28 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
Mrs. Birnbaum taught my mother at BYHS in the 70s.

Please explain the hug on my post!

Chayalle

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 1:29 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
As a former Bais Yaakov student (not this particular one, but another highly regarded institution) who was expelled, I beg to differ. I was told I had to leave without ceremony and without valid reasons. The principal (who was, at that point quite elderly, and there mostly as a figurehead) of said school decided I was a 'bad influence' (on whom, and for what?), and no amount of intervention by other staff members would change this person's mind. There was no other school for me where I lived, and I had to go to school out of town. It completely changed my life. BH I feel like I turned out ok, but I wonder how different my life would have been if I had stayed in that school, living in my own home. It was truly a nightmare for my parents (who were one of the founding families, and who had previously enjoyed a good relationship with the principal and the school).
At this point in my life I've come to realize that this person was just a shaliach, and that for whatever reason that was the path I was supposed to take.

Your attitude and acceptance in this post is so amazing. I can't imagine being tested this way.

amother
Topaz

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 1:37 pm
I was in BYHS in the late 80s and we had girls who were asked not to return the following year. Is that different than expulsion?

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 1:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Besides the expelling, theyd CRY BITTER TEARS about kids being out of school for a year or more, with no school.

While the Klal has money for everything else, theres no money to expand schools so that all girls have a school, at all times.

How much is a full page ad in front pages of Ami and to design the ad?
I think I'm gonna put this in for the back to school addition
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics