Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Why do sefardim not keep 3 weeks?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 2:02 pm
purely out of curiosity and interest in learning...

Simple1

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 2:04 pm
They do. Maybe the details are different.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 2:07 pm
Lol.
We do.
The halachos are different because our gedolim (starting with the shulchan aruch as opposed to the Rema) held a different interpretation of halacha and/or held of a different mesorah.
For us there are three sets of halachos. Three weeks, Rosh chodesh av and beyond, and shavua shechal bo (the week of Tisha b'av).

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 2:08 pm
anyone care to expound how the halachos are different?
Ashkenazim also have three levels of stringencies...

Simple1

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 2:12 pm
https://I.imgur.com/pT3zADZ.jpg

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 2:12 pm
https://I.imgur.com/EGE22uh.jpg

Some variations do exist, because "sefardim" all have different mesorahs based on country of origin.

nicole81

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 2:13 pm
We do keep the 3 weeks, but in accordance with the shulcham aruch and other minhagim. Some restrictions, like not listening to music, we keep for the full three weeks. Other restrictions, like laundry, as per the shulchan aruch, can be done until shavuah shechal bo, the week of 9av. Usually this means from motzei shabbat until 9av, ie the longest time we wouldn't have to do laundry is if the fast fell out on a Thursday. I'm not learned enough about sefardi custom (I married into it) to understand why nidche year invalidates the concept of shavuah shecal bo, but it does, so I'm actually doing laundry right now. I understand that if the week ends motzei shabbat and the fast is on Sunday, there's no week before the fast.

Simple1

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 2:15 pm
I will add that many Sefardim are makpid not to swim the whole 9 days. I see I cross posted with forestgreen.

Last edited by Simple1 on Fri, Aug 05 2022, 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 2:16 pm
Simple1 wrote:
https://I.imgur.com/pT3zADZ.jpg

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 2:41 pm
Excuse me…?
I’ve been missing my music wedding the past 3 weeks and meat this week. We can swim and do laundry until Shevua shechal bo.

keym

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 4:56 pm
nicole81 wrote:
We do keep the 3 weeks, but in accordance with the shulcham aruch and other minhagim. Some restrictions, like not listening to music, we keep for the full three weeks. Other restrictions, like laundry, as per the shulchan aruch, can be done until shavuah shechal bo, the week of 9av. Usually this means from motzei shabbat until 9av, ie the longest time we wouldn't have to do laundry is if the fast fell out on a Thursday. I'm not learned enough about sefardi custom (I married into it) to understand why nidche year invalidates the concept of shavuah shecal bo, but it does, so I'm actually doing laundry right now. I understand that if the week ends motzei shabbat and the fast is on Sunday, there's no week before the fast.

I just want to point out that some groups of Sefardim (maybe Turkish?) hold that because tisha Bav is actually Shabbos, Shavuo shchol bo started motzei Shabbos and they don't eat meat, wine, do laundry this whole week.
But last year when Tisha Bav was actually on Sunday, there is no Shavuo shchol bo.

amother
Jean

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 4:58 pm
keym wrote:
I just want to point out that some groups of Sefardim (maybe Turkish?) hold that because tisha Bav is actually Shabbos, Shavuo shchol bo started motzei Shabbos and they don't eat meat, wine, do laundry this whole week.
But last year when Tisha Bav was actually on Sunday, there is no Shavuo shchol bo.

Sefardim don't eat meat or drink wine the entire nine days. From what you mentioned, only laundry is something specifically restricted during shavua shechal bo. Yes, you're correct that depending on country of origin, there are variations in minhag.

keym

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 5:02 pm
amother [ Jean ] wrote:
Sefardim don't eat meat or drink wine the entire nine days. From what you mentioned, only laundry is something specifically restricted during shavua shechal bo. Yes, you're correct that depending on country of origin, there are variations in minhag.

Not wine. But there are definitely some Sefardim from some countries who eat chicken, just not during Shavua shechol bo.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 5:10 pm
keym wrote:
Not wine. But there are definitely some Sefardim from some countries who eat chicken, just not during Shavua shechol bo.

Never heard of someone eating chicken, except in the case of a health issue. However we do make havdala on wine in the nine days whereas I don't think ashkenazim do.

nicole81

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 9:14 am
keym wrote:

Interesting you mention this because earlier in the week (before I posted), I happened to be talking to dh about this and I asked why we don't count the whole week, because cognitively it makes sense to me to have started shavua shecal bo last Saturday night because regardless of the fast, 9 av was shabbat. He said "good question, I don't know" lol. My understanding is that most interpret the restrictions from the week before the fast, and not the actual date of tisha b'av.

Just wanted to add that the restrictions most of us don't hold by until the week of are laundry and haircuts. And we use wine for havdala.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note