Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Have you had your colors done?
Previous  1  2

Kiwi13

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 12:38 am
I went to a tichel event once where there was a lady who suggested what colors looked best on people. She suggested blue for me, I think because of my eyes, but it felt like too much blue for me. I picked burgundy. I liked it better. The sheitel I wear most often is auburn, so maybe it just felt better to me for that reason. Or maybe I just always liked certain colors better. Burgundy/maroon, earth tones... It's not like there are that many colors I avoid or anything (maybe highlighter yellow or too much black), but I have preferences I don't need someone else to figure out FOR me.

Now, for business stuff? I've consulted branding experts on colors before for THAT, and I probably will again someday when I get my next big project up and running.

amother
Impatiens

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 2:42 am
amother [ Bottlebrush ] wrote:
Sounds like a complete waste of money.
Just met a kallah who paid 900$ for someone to tell her what colors to wear.
I know what colors look good on me I dont need to pay 900 for that.
if you are stylish and interested in color become a personal shopper or stylist. My cousin does it and makes a ton of money. Shes big on instagram

Can you share her insta handle please?

Another mom

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 3:50 am
Never heard of it. Ever.
Haha today my DIL said that my shirt and sunglasses look really nice on me (meaning colors).THX you saved me 1000 dollars LOL

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 4:39 am
I've really really been wanting to go. I actually started a thread that didn't get too much traction yesterday about that pricing.

I have a very strange skin tone (think middle eastern dark but very pale) and an unusual hair situation too, and while I enjoy makeup and fashion, I can much more easily color match and style other people, it's very difficult for me to know what works for myself, even after all these years. I would love to get my season or color done.

But the $750-800 price point is totally out of my reach. That's a tuition payment or groceries for almost a month.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 4:57 am
zaq wrote:
2021 trendy? HAHAHAHAHAHA! It all started with Color Me Beautiful, published in 1973.

That’s the book. My mother owned it.

imaima

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 6:54 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
I've really really been wanting to go. I actually started a thread that didn't get too much traction yesterday about that pricing.

I have a very strange skin tone (think middle eastern dark but very pale) and an unusual hair situation too, and while I enjoy makeup and fashion, I can much more easily color match and style other people, it's very difficult for me to know what works for myself, even after all these years. I would love to get my season or color done.

But the $750-800 price point is totally out of my reach. That's a tuition payment or groceries for almost a month.

Sounds like olive skin tone.
In color analysis skin plays a primary role and eyes secondary and hair is least important.
Now you can go on youtube and google olive undertone and see where it takes you.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 8:20 am
zaq wrote:
2021 trendy? HAHAHAHAHAHA! It all started with Color Me Beautiful, published in 1973.
yes I know. But it faded away and now has a resurgence amongst a certain frum crowd. So many people here would have seen it on Instagram and think it’s a new trendy thing.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 8:21 am
mushkamothers wrote:
Chanchi milecki @thesoulstyler
Yes this isn't a new fad. It's just made it to Instagram. Chanchi didn't have an account back in the day, I heard of her bc I knew tons of people irl who used her
thought so. She’s probably who I’d consider.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 8:24 am
Really most services are for people who have more money than —. So if I don’t feel I have a fashion sense why are people appalled that I’d hire someone to help? It’s like a personal decorator.
Good for all of you who have figured it all out all by themselves and feel like they wear and surround themselves with colors and styles that feel most like them, all by themselves .
I don’t feel that way and I want to. It talks to me. 🤷‍♀️
For those who said I should hire a stylist the ones who do this now often teach personal style too.

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 10:14 am
So surprised that this is “in” among the young frum trendy crowd! (I’m not on Instagram.) I thought most frum trendy types wear whatever is in style whether it looks good on them or not.

I figured out my colors pretty easily - black and white, bold colors like royal blue, grass green. Winter. High contrast. But they’re not in style now. I’m drawn to the delicate small florals and saddle browns these days, and they look fine on me too. With brown hair and eyes and light complexion there’s very little I can’t wear. So my royal blue skirt just sits in my closet.

Basically, I like the idea of staying true to one’s colors but what happens when they’re out of style, for those who also like to follow trends?

amother
Hunter

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 10:38 am
I've been enjoying dressing your truth by Carol Tuttle. I don't follow exactly, but it gives me a good outline of what colors, patterns and textures look good on me.

It doesn't go according to your skin tone or eye/hair colors but according to your nature. You can find everything online and don't have to pay hundreds of dollars in person.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 10:41 am
Yes I follow her. It definitely goes by your facial features too. She has great info. I guess I want confirmation.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 10:41 am
amother [ Impatiens ] wrote:
Can you share her insta handle please?

shes not frum at all her clothing isnt applicable for a frum woman but I can dm u her handle if u give me ur username

imaima

Post Sat, Aug 06 2022, 1:06 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
So surprised that this is “in” among the young frum trendy crowd! (I’m not on Instagram.) I thought most frum trendy types wear whatever is in style whether it looks good on them or not.

I figured out my colors pretty easily - black and white, bold colors like royal blue, grass green. Winter. High contrast. But they’re not in style now. I’m drawn to the delicate small florals and saddle browns these days, and they look fine on me too. With brown hair and eyes and light complexion there’s very little I can’t wear. So my royal blue skirt just sits in my closet.

Basically, I like the idea of staying true to one’s colors but what happens when they’re out of style, for those who also like to follow trends?

If you go into non-Jewish stores, you would find enough colors for your complexion (especially grass green is so present these days).

mushkamothers

Post Sat, Aug 06 2022, 6:33 pm
Im kind of amused at how many people are hating on this but wouldn't think twice about paying someone to design their kitchen or their brand logo or be a party planner for their simcha.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Sat, Aug 06 2022, 7:14 pm
mushkamothers wrote:
Im kind of amused at how many people are hating on this but wouldn't think twice about paying someone to design their kitchen or their brand logo or be a party planner for their simcha.

I think thats extremely different than paying 900$ to tell you what colors and textures look good on you...

mushkamothers

Post Sat, Aug 06 2022, 7:23 pm
amother [ Bottlebrush ] wrote:
I think thats extremely different than paying 900$ to tell you what colors and textures look good on you...

Nope it's kind of like the same service. Same skill set you're outsourcing for. But more worth it because if you've ever bought clothing that you never ended up wearing then there's the price of the consult right there

BaltoMom65

Post Sat, Aug 06 2022, 8:37 pm
mushkamothers wrote:
Nope. Don't know anyone that's paid any "designer" unless it's for the integrity of a structure and nope to the other 2 examples

miami85

Post Sat, Aug 06 2022, 8:56 pm
15 years or so ago, when I entered shidduchim someone took me to a make-up artist known for this (she paid for it). She was onto something with the colors she gave me--they were flattering.

After I was married I went back to her because now that I was being seen by the same man on a regular basis, I wanted to change things up a bit.

She gave me a different look.

That's kind of when it hit me, that it's not so much a "certain set of colors" but rather how to work with the colors at my disposal.
Even when I've had my make up done professionally, they've cared more about the dress I'm wearing and my sheital than my complexion and my "colors"

So it might be helpful to know, don't know how much I'd pay for it
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics