Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Diabetes care in Israel for seminary daughter

zuzana

Post Sat, Aug 06 2022, 8:20 pm
My 18 yr old daughter has recently been diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. She will be leaving for Israel for a Shana alef program. Student insurance covers emergencies, but not regular medical supplies for chronic conditions. I'm looking to see how other parents of T1D kids (or other chronic condiotions requiring regular meds) have dealt with getting insulin and other supplies in Israel. She will not be eligible for kupat cholim, as a non-Israeli. We plan to send with a suitcase full of supplies, but are concerned about how to get more supplies if she runs out or her needs change. Thanks! Hoping to hear from other parents with similar experiences.

Rappel

Post Sat, Aug 06 2022, 10:41 pm
I think you should ask the seminary principal. Your daughter can't be the first they've had.

There is, I believe, a way for chutznikim to pay to join Kupat Cholim. Some of the kollel families here will probably know more about that, but I'll look as well.

essie14

Post Sat, Aug 06 2022, 11:37 pm
There definitely have been plenty of kids with T1D who have come to Israel for the year.
I'm sure the insurance companies that deal with the yeshiva and seminary kids have experience.
Who does the seminary work with?

tree of life

Post Sat, Aug 06 2022, 11:39 pm
072-243-7733
Call Chaim vchessed ask them

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 12:19 am
www.jewishdigest.org

This is about IBD students, but there might be something helpful in there.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 4:04 am
Not sure if this was the most efficient way but we sent a huge duffel filled with supplies and then about 2 or 3 more times, we found people who could bring her a bag. We had a very hard time with the Israeli insurance so we ended up using private. Even still, I preferred just keeping up with the prescriptions here and finding it’s way over.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 4:11 am
Just beware! The insuline , you cant put in a suitcase as the temperature gets too cold during the flight, it will get ruined. It can only go with hand luggage.

zuzana

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 4:29 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Just beware! The insuline , you cant put in a suitcase as the temperature gets too cold during the flight, it will get ruined. It can only go with hand luggage.

Oh yes, ty, she's going to do that absolutely.

zuzana

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 4:33 am
essie14 wrote:
There definitely have been plenty of kids with T1D who have come to Israel for the year.
I'm sure the insurance companies that deal with the yeshiva and seminary kids have experience.
Who does the seminary work with?

Thanks for the reply. Agreed. And yet, ive got nothing so far. So far, the student insurances simply say that they do not cover pre existing conditions. There's a group called EMA Care that supposedly advises parents in this position, but they don't return my email questions.

zuzana

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 4:33 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
www.jewishdigest.org

Thx will look.

zuzana

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 4:34 am
[quote="tree of life"]072-243-7733
Call Chaim vchessed ask them[/quote
Thanks for the suggestion!

zuzana

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 4:46 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
www.jewishdigest.org

This is a super helpful article, thank you. I definitely have a few directions to explore now. We actually have a son with Crohns also and dealt with this entirely on our own a few yrs back, sending him off to israel with his cooler of meds. But Diabetes feels much more urgent, and there are so many supplies req'd so we really need the extra support. Thx again. Easy fast, please.

zuzana

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 4:49 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
Not sure if this was the most efficient way but we sent a huge duffel filled with supplies and then about 2 or 3 more times, we found people who could bring her a bag. We had a very hard time with the Israeli insurance so we ended up using private. Even still, I preferred just keeping up with the prescriptions here and finding it’s way over.

Thx for the reply. You used private insurance, but did you find one that covered regular meds, and not just emergent care? I want to know how to purchase insulin if we need, either thru insurance or even totally out of pocket. Thx

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 5:07 am
Correct it covered emergencies. If I recall correctly, my daughter bought insulin there once without insurance. I can find out exact details when my daughter wakes up if that would be helpful

zuzana

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 5:24 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
Correct it covered emergencies. If I recall correctly, my daughter bought insulin there once without insurance. I can find out exact details when my daughter wakes up if that would be helpful

Yes, thank you, I would like to know how she did that.

zuzana

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 6:32 am
zuzana wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Agreed. And yet, ive got nothing so far. So far, the student insurances simply say that they do not cover pre existing conditions. There's a group called EMA Care that supposedly advises parents in this position, but they don't return my email questions.

I want to correct something I said: I did receive a response from EMA Care, but I somehow missed it. I just spoke to a representative there and she was very helpful.

zuzana

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 11:26 am
zuzana wrote:

EMA Care for back to me and seems like a really good resource
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children